Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 year old dishwasher motor broken..

Options
  • 28-09-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Do i have any comback on my dishwasher which is not that old and the motor packing in.. Just had a serviceman out to it and he said it may cost €180 for a new motor..It is only 3 years old. i'm not sure about the warranty on it cannot find any doucments for it..

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi depends on the make of your dishwasher. Check with store you bought it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

marlie2005 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Do i have any comback on my dishwasher which is not that old and the motor packing in.. Just had a serviceman out to it and he said it may cost €180 for a new motor..It is only 3 years old. i'm not sure about the warranty on it cannot find any doucments for it..

thanks in advance

B0ll0cks 180euro for a new motor :rolleyes: . The motors rarely if ever break so bad they can't be fixed. Most just need a couple of euro worth of brushes to fix. More than once I've been told by service shops, spare part suppliers and honest repair men never let them take your old motor away - it just gets fixed and sold to someone else as a "service exchange" "reconditioned" "refurbished" or perhaps sometimes as a "new" motor.

JUst take a look at this eBay search http://shop.ebay.ie/i.html?_nkw=washing+machine+motor and see what spare parts are being sold. They wouldn't be selling brushes if no one ever bought them. Also you can get an idea of the price of the motors.

EDIT> As pointed out below by knighted_1 I got this completrly wrong and wasn't even thinking about DISHWASHERS when I replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Thanks for the replies,

I haven't a notion about any of this stuff.
    Guy says he is going to call back with a price of an new one for me, but saying that he really only listened to the machine. he didn't even attempt to open it up..
    I will wait and see what he comes back with and go from there..
    My dishwasher is an electrolux and i'm am presuming that these motors shouldn't give up that easily, I will talk to the retailer also tommorrow and see what comes of that..
    Thanks for the eye opener William..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Starter capacitors are another easily replaceable and cheap reason for some AC motors to cease working. Usually noticeable as the motor just emitting a humming noise and not turning.

On the other hand I could well believe 5euro for spare parts and 175euro for labour ;) - not that I think thats a realistic figure for a local repair guy but certainly what you could pay (and more) if you use the number in the washing machine manual. 5 years parts warentees are quite common as its the labour that is the main component of the bill.

Ask around, local hardware shops and white goods retailers normally know who the local man is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

B0ll0cks 180euro for a new motor :rolleyes: . The motors rarely if ever break so bad they can't be fixed. Most just need a couple of euro worth of brushes to fix. More than once I've been told by service shops, spare part suppliers and honest repair men never let them take your old motor away - it just gets fixed and sold to someone else as a "service exchange" "reconditioned" "refurbished" or perhaps sometimes as a "new" motor.

JUst take a look at this eBay search http://shop.ebay.ie/i.html?_nkw=washing+machine+motor and see what spare parts are being sold. They wouldn't be selling brushes if no one ever bought them. Also you can get an idea of the price of the motors.

b0ll0cks to you willie powell-can you show me a link to a dishwasher that uses brushes ? you provided a link to washing machine brushes

dishwashers run on different motors and are actually pumps ,some have capacitors and some dont -whirlpool are a bigger version of a drain pump -

op post the model of dishwasher and i will try to help you ,and i wont speculate or talk about things i know nothing about :)

an example from currys parts master bosch dishwasher

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=921133&query=Bosch%20Neff%20Siemens%20motor motor 140 sterling

whirlpool 107 sterling

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=954230&brand=Whirlpool&model=&part=motor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Hi Guys,

thanks in advance
    You may have legal recourse if the dishwasher was not abused or misused. But it can depend on the length of time it is reasonably expected that your dishwasher would last which would depend on how much you paid for it and how long similiar dishwashers last.

If the dishwasher was used as expected e.g. not treated like an industrial dishwasher used 5 times a day, I would expect it to last about 5 years (depending on how much you paid for it). If it is not a dirt cheap dishwasher then you should go back to the retailer looking to get your dishwasher repaired. If they refuse then you can ask for a replacement or full or partial refund. You should do this pleasently and if there is refusal orally then put it in writing. You can then take the retailer to the small claims court looking for the washing machine to be repaired. You do have the right to get the item repaired yourself and then go after the retailer via the small claims court to get the cost of the repair refunded to you but that will only happen if you win the case so could be risky.

How much did you pay for the dishwasher and what brand/model is it?

(by the way I am not talking about your manufacturer warranty, I am referring to your statutory rights under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980)

knighted_1 wrote: »
    b0ll0cks to you willie powell-can you show me a link to a dishwasher that uses brushes ? you provided a link to washing machine brushes

Yeh my bad I have washing machines on the brain atm.

OP here,

The brand of the machine is a Electrolux, intergrated Dishwasher serial number ESL 63010, It was not a cheap dishwasher at the time.
    The dishwasher would only be used once a day and very rarely twice.. I don't think I have misused it at all, cleaned it out properly and all that..
    The Guy I had out to look at it today, said it was either a bad batch or wear and tear but also said it was to young for that..

electrolux are usually fairly good about this -if it is a motor they may supply the part but you must pay thier service guy 70 euro i think -well worth it imo - i think that model came with a free 5 years parts gaurantee -

one thing to bear in mind about the service guy you got in today .very few will actually do a job on an integrated machine and will give you an inflated price to scare you off and still charge you a call out fee

can you describe what the machine is doing or not doing ?

• Advertisement

Thanks Knighted,

The guy I got today did not really seem that interested bout the machine alright, but I have used them before and did find them good. Still haven't heard anything back from them alright .
    Do i approach the retailer or electrolux themselves about the parts?

Firstly on friday: Started a wash and it kept on stopping and beeping at me. Left it for a bit and thought it was blocked so himself pulled it out and had a look ( did nothing ) and put it back in again. It started and worked..
    After that wash on sat dishwasher just hummed and wouldn't start, a friend pulled it out and it started but was stopped nearly straight away because they smelt burning.. a bit like burning plastic..

I really hope it's not fecked, can't afford a new one...

pointing to the motor all right -when its beeping there will be a sequence of beeps ,can you count these for me example is maybe 4 beeps then stop then 4 beeps then stop .that would be 4 beeps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP here,

The brand of the machine is a Electrolux, intergrated Dishwasher serial number ESL 63010, It was not a cheap dishwasher at the time.
    The dishwasher would only be used once a day and very rarely twice.. I don't think I have misused it at all, cleaned it out properly and all that..
    The Guy I had out to look at it today, said it was either a bad batch or wear and tear but also said it was to young for that..
    Then I would go back to the retailer and get them to remedy the problem since the dishwasher should be expected to last longer than that. Be reasonable with the shop first and tell them your issue. If they say it is out of warranty tell them that the warranty does not affect your statutory rights - never say the awful phrase "I know my rights". Keep calm and polite (but assertive) at all times. Ask to speak to a manager if necessary. Then get the manager's name so that you can use it later. Keep records of times and names.

If they are still refusing to deal with it then it is best to go to letter since you will want proof that you were being reasonable at all times and giving the retailer to opportunity to rectify the situation before going down the legal route. You will need to register the letters or something to have proof you sent them (not sure if you need proof that they were received).

If you do not get a response back or get an unsatisfactory response back with I'd say about 10 working days (guessing this is a reasonable timeframe) then you should make a claim via the small claims court which can be done online here (I think the fee is €15):
    www.smallclaims.ie

axer wrote: »
    Then I would go back to the retailer and get them to remedy the problem since the dishwasher should be expected to last longer than that. Be reasonable with the shop first and tell them your issue. If they say it is out of warranty tell them that the warranty does not affect your statutory rights - never say the awful phrase "I know my rights". Keep calm and polite (but assertive) at all times. Ask to speak to a manager if necessary. Then get the manager's name so that you can use it later. Keep records of times and names.

If they are still refusing to deal with it then it is best to go to letter since you will want proof that you were being reasonable at all times and giving the retailer to opportunity to rectify the situation before going down the legal route. You will need to register the letters or something to have proof you sent them (not sure if you need proof that they were received).

If you do not get a response back or get an unsatisfactory response back with I'd say about 10 working days (guessing this is a reasonable timeframe) then you should make a claim via the small claims court which can be done online here (I think the fee is €15):
    www.smallclaims.ie

While you are right I would guess the OP would be happy enough with a 70euro repair job if it can be done for that sort of money. Certainly worth a calm chat with the manager but for all the good advice I'm not sure how many people ever take it :(

Strange isn't it that we have these statutory rights in law yet we often make a decision about buying an item on the bases of a "free" 5 year parts guarantee, which I hope the OP has.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 handsome ken

I had a similar problem with my old dishwasher which went faulty after about three and a half years. the shop where i bought it were very helpful in that they contacted the distributor on my behalf and managed to get me a new dishwasher at about 40% of the retail price. It meant i had a new dishwasher - not my old one with a replaced motor. It probably cost a few Euro more than i would have paid a repair man but worth it in the end imo

Thanks all for the input, just to let you know how i got on..

Went back to the retailer yesterday and asked about the 5 year parts warranty, I suggested that I 'recalled' the dishwasher having it. The shop assistant was very helpful and booked a appointment with electrolux for a call out. It will cover the cost of the part ...

Also the service guy got back to me and guess what the part does cost €180.00... Does that me he didn't want the job????

Dishwaher is still not fixed but at least I won't be forking out €180.00 for the part.. :eek:

I'm still a bit afraid of being screwed though. What if the service man discovers something else????

ring the service company and ask for a breakdown of possible charges ,they have to tell you .

Advertisement