Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublinbikes - credit card expiration

• 28-09-2010 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,

Beware.
    Dublinbikes Long term hire subscription with credit card.

Credit card expiration:
    Dublinbikes will block the account on 28th of month
    when the credit card still valid until the last day of month

Credit card update:
    Dublinbikes will charge €1 to update details (expiration date)
    No refund to the credit card.
    Only a "voucher" on the dublinbikes account

(ie. for a subscription in June 2010 with hire under 30 minutes, so no charge,
    Credit card details updated in Sep 2010
    Charge for update €1 in Sep 2010
    Hire less 30 minutes
    Voucher redeemed only in June 2011 for the subscription renewal.

Practically, you have to wait for months to get the refund.

No mention in written for these rules in the General Conditions of Access and Use (GCAU).
    https://abo-dublin.cyclocity.fr/content/download/6103/48528/version/12/file/GENERAL+CONDITIONS+OF+ACCESS+AND+USE+14+Aug+09.pdf

Is there a breach of the General Conditions of Access and Use?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

pikantor wrote: »
    Practically, you have to wait for months to get the refund.
    Of €1? It's not exactly a serious consumer issue, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

not a huge amount of money but I was also cut off this morning (my card is valid until the end of the month, new one can't be used until october)
    I got this email fom them
    Dear sickle,

As we informed you in a previous e-mail, the Credit Card associated with your subscription number xxxx expires at the end of the month.
    Your account is now blocked with effect from today. Please log on to the dublinbikes website (http://www.dublinbikes.ie/) to provide us with the details of your new bank card in the "Your Personal Account" section.
    Your account will be reactivated as soon as you have updated this information.

Please contact our Call Centre on 1850 777 070 if you have any difficulties.

Regards,
    dublinbikes

now there was no previous email warning me of this and that email came through after 9, luckily I wasn't trying to get a bike this morning. And its cost me a euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

What is the issue here?

That DublinBikes charges you 1 euro, which you get back but against the cost of using the bikes instead of a cash refund of 1 euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

well i was annoyed that they just blocked the account (before my card expired) rather than giving me a chance to update my details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

sickle wrote: »
    well i was annoyed that they just blocked the account (before my card expired) rather than giving me a chance to update my details.

Fair enough. I also would be a bit miffed if that happened tbf.

I actually read the op wrong anyway. I had got a mail saying that they were extending my membership automatically which I assumed the OP was referring to. My mistake.

Is there a chance that they did send out a mail to begin with but it went straight to your spam?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pikantor

@ sickle, same...no previous email

@ BeerNut, reprazant
    2 things:

- No written rules in the GCAU.

- Due the total long term (one year) members: 28,169
    they can expect €28,000 cash flow / investment + interests

- Due the total long term (one year) members: 28,169
    they can expect €28,000 cash flow / investment + interests
    And this is relevant how?

It took them two weeks to charge me the €9 balance owing on my account for renewal, so you can sleep easy in the knowledge that they lost money (pennies, as above) on that. More than they gained from having my €1 on credit for a couple of months.
    - No written rules in the GCAU.
    If the service does not suit you, cancel your subscription, demand your €1 back and walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

My CC expired and I had to update it, I was forced to pay the euro charge. I can't believe it! The skullduggery! Instead of 10 euro a year for this amazing service I am now paying 11 euro a year! How will my children eat?

And to top it all off, I just saw the binman rooting around in my recycling bin. He actually took a book belonging to me from it, oh I am fuming now! Where is the justice in the world??

...Really though, it's just a euro. If you feel that strongly about it contact Dublin bikes, I don't think you will get much sympathy here. I was actually charged the one euro, it's not a stealth charge, it says quite clearly you will be charged one euro for renewing your credit card (which is what, once every 3 or 4 years?). If you don't like it you can boycott Dublin bikes and give your euro to the taxi or bus service instead and see how far 11 euro a year gets you.

I got plenty of notification about my credit card expiring, ibut I can see how annoying the halt on your account is. Maybe ring them up?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Instead of 10 euro a year for this amazing service I am now paying 11 euro a year!
    Now that is odd. My renewal came up as €9, because I was €1 in credit following the credit card changeover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was charged the €1 as well, but it's only €1 on top of the hefty €10 we're charged. Look at the £45 you might have to pay in London. If someone is in a situation where you can't afford to be €1 off, perhaps they shouldn't be spending €10 on a bike scheme.

I did however get an email warning me about my credit card expiration. It seems bizarre that they'd block a customer off for three days at the end of the card's last month - perhaps ask them their logic on this front? Or get in touch with someone at DCC and explain what you think is silly - there might be a better chance of someone up high getting a change made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just cycle a bit faster and get your monies worth back that way.

Advertisement