Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads that could be upgraded quickly to 2+2

Options
  • 28-09-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

With the country not awash with money, I was thinking in my head of a list of roads that could be upgraded to 2+2 with the minimal of time and resources. The candidates that stick in my head are:

N2 Carrickmacross Bypass

N2 Castleblayney Bypass

N5 Charlestown Bypass

N3 Cavan Bypass

N4 Boyle Bypass

N15 Bundoran Bypass (not sure about bridge)

N15 Donegal Bypass

N33 Link

N25 Youghal Bypass

N25 Kilmacthomas Bypass

Would that be the complete list, or are there a few missing? I have excluded the likes of the N20 Croom Bypass which are targeted for motorway upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

N21 between Abbeyfeale and Castleisland could easily be upgraded 2+2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

N5 Charlestown bypass
    N52 Tullamore-Tyrellspass for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres newer sections of the N3 between Cavan Town and Kells By-Bass that are truely gigantic lumps of roads with high quality hard shoulder the whole way, BUT you wont get overtaking if stuck behind someone as it's quite busy in both directions during the day.

A 2+2 might be pushing it if you have to deal with numerous entrances/ side roads but a 2+1 (and not necessarily with a central barrier) could definitely be put in some sections to get things flowing.

The N17 Knock/ Claremorris By pass scheme is another beast of a road that may as well have been built as a hard shoulder-less goat track for all the use it is for overtaking if you have a lot of oncoming traffic.
    There a 2+1 definitely would be possible if not even a 2+2 as it is really a road that is built to a high standard with grade separated junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

N85 Ennis distributer road(or whatever its called :confused:), no real need to upgrade it at the moment tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

A fair bit of the N25 between Wexford and New Ross could be upgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The main bridge on the N15 Bundoran/Ballyshannon BP already has 4 lanes on it IIRC - two Donegal bound as the N3 joins as a lane and two Dublin bound as the N3 is a seperate lane at that stage. So its not a constraining factor.

Any WS2 scheme that was built offline is a goer. The N5 between Longford and Strokestown for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Youghal bypass has at least one bridge that is too narrow for 2+2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

N30 Davidstown/Clonroche section (new build with overpasses etc. but built as WS2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Some more:

N21 - Tralee to Ballycarthy

N21 - Ballycarty to Castleisland

N21 - Castleisland to R576 junction(County Border)

N17 - Knock/Claremorris bypass (rather they left it as is)

N15 - Ballyshannon/Bundoran bypass

N15: Donegal bypass

N17: Collooney - R293 Junction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

The R132 from the Pinnock Hill R/A to the Coachmans R/A, this would complete the 2+2 bypass of Swords.

They could also replace the Traffic lights at Airside/Broimhe with a R/A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

nordydan wrote: »
    With the country not awash with money, I was thinking in my head of a list of roads that could be upgraded to 2+2 with the minimal of time and resources. The candidates that stick in my head are:

N2 Carrickmacross Bypass

N2 Castleblayney Bypass

N5 Charlestown Bypass

N3 Cavan Bypass

N4 Boyle Bypass

N15 Bundoran Bypass (not sure about bridge)

N15 Donegal Bypass

N33 Link

N25 Youghal Bypass

N25 Kilmacthomas Bypass

Would that be the complete list, or are there a few missing? I have excluded the likes of the N20 Croom Bypass which are targeted for motorway upgrade

Hopefully they will do that to the N2 Castleblaney bypass. Terrible and dangerous design. The exits off this road are on the single lane bits....madness. There is going to be a major accident on that road soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Mc Love wrote: »
    N21 between Abbeyfeale and Castleisland could easily be upgraded 2+2
    tech2 wrote: »
    Some more:
    N21 - Tralee to Ballycarthy
    N21 - Ballycarty to Castleisland
    N21 - Castleisland to R576 junction(County Border)...
    So basically the entirety of the N21 in Kerry? I would think that Tralee to the far side of Castleisland at least would be doable with perhaps an intermediate roundabout between the N22 junction and Castleisland for local movements. I wasn't so sure about the road NE of Castleisland
    ....N52 Tullamore-Tyrellspass for the most part
    There is a plan to upgrade the section between Tullamore and the M6 to 2+2. If there is to be a serious attempt at a Tulamore/Athlone/Mullingar gateway then the section from Tyrellspass to Mullingar should also be 2+2
    A fair bit of the N25 between Wexford and New Ross could be upgraded.
    I thought there were a lot of private accesses on this stretch
    MYOB wrote: »
    The main bridge on the N15 Bundoran/Ballyshannon BP already has 4 lanes on it IIRC - two Donegal bound as the N3 joins as a lane and two Dublin bound as the N3 is a seperate lane at that stage. So its not a constraining factor.
    My mistake, was under the impression there were only 3 lanes here (1 S/B)
    Any WS2 scheme that was built offline is a goer. The N5 between Longford and Strokestown for instance.
    Yeah I was thinking of WS2 offline schemes in priniciple
    Youghal bypass has at least one bridge that is too narrow for 2+2.
    This one?
    murphaph wrote: »
    N30 Davidstown/Clonroche section (new build with overpasses etc. but built as WS2).
    I am surprised the N30 Enniscorthy Bypass is not 2+2 to match the N80 standard
    The N17 Knock/ Claremorris By pass scheme is another beast of a road that may as well have been built as a hard shoulder-less goat track for all the use it is for overtaking if you have a lot of oncoming traffic.
    There a 2+1 definitely would be possible if not even a 2+2 as it is really a road that is built to a high standard with grade separated junctions.
    Some more:
    N17 - Knock/Claremorris bypass (rather they left it as is)...
    Why would you prefer S2 to 2+2?
    N17: Collooney - R293 Junction
    Agree with this one
    celticbest wrote: »
    The R132 from the Pinnock Hill R/A to the Coachmans R/A, this would complete the 2+2 bypass of Swords.
    They could also replace the Traffic lights at Airside/Broimhe with a R/A.
    I thought this was planned, but can't find a link
    furtzy wrote: »
    Hopefully they will do that to the N2 Castleblaney bypass. Terrible and dangerous design. The exits off this road are on the single lane bits....madness. There is going to be a major accident on that road soon
    Agreed the 2+1 section is terrible
    theres newer sections of the N3 between Cavan Town and Kells By-Bass that are truely gigantic lumps of roads with high quality hard shoulder the whole way, BUT you wont get overtaking if stuck behind someone as it's quite busy in both directions during the day.

A 2+2 might be pushing it if you have to deal with numerous entrances/ side roads but a 2+1 (and not necessarily with a central barrier) could definitely be put in some sections to get things flowing...
    Yes I was wondering whether the NRA should push for a 2+2 package for some of the schemes listed in the N2/N3/N33? They are also close geographically and through the economies of scale cost could be reduced (i.e. basically the same job is being done on all the listed N2/N3/N33 schemes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

N13 Letterkenny - Derry, already DC as far as the roundabout with the N14 but shouldnt be difficult to upgrade the rest to at least 2+1

The N15 Ballyshannon & Bundoran Bypass is already 2+2 over the bridge and realistically its adequate at the moment as a 2+1

I'm sure parts of the N17 could be done between Sligo & Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

The N24 Piltown/Fiddown bypass (which is currently 2+1 and pretty awful at nighttime). I would have though this would be simple enough.

Harps wrote: »
    N13 Letterkenny - Derry, already DC as far as the roundabout with the N14 but shouldnt be difficult to upgrade the rest to at least 2+1

The N15 Ballyshannon & Bundoran Bypass is already 2+2 over the bridge and realistically its adequate at the moment as a 2+1

I'm sure parts of the N17 could be done between Sligo & Galway

2+1 is dead, gone, an ex-standard, etc (can't remember the full Python sketch here). It won't ever be built again.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

2+1 is dead, gone, an ex-standard, etc (can't remember the full Python sketch here). It won't ever be built again.

yes the 2+1 is dead and gone, but what the NRA's position vis a vis the 1+2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Unless there was a recent amendment to the NRA DMRB, the 2+1 spec is now the Type 3 Dual Carriageway, Type 2 DC is 2+2 etc.

Type 3 DC is primarily for retrofit projects while Type 2 DC is primarily for new-build.

Regards!

Last updates on their website predate even the introduction of 2+2, handily.

Nearly 100% certain I've read an addendum preventing further construction of Type 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

While I was driving on the N3 leaving Cavan town this afternoon heading towards Virginia I noticed how wide a lot of this stretch of roadway is.

Would it be feasible to upgrade this type of road, WS2, to S4 spec. That is a type of road with two lanes in each direction without a crash barrier in the middle.

As far as i can see, the only thing that would need to be done would be to repaint the road. This, to me, would seem like a sensible idea.

It would provide a quasi dual carriageway without any new construction or major costs. Seeing as the country is now broke we should look at getting the most out of our existing road network.
    Has such an idea ever been looked at seriously by the NRA or other bodies? Pro's and con's welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

There's a similar thread discussing sections that could be upgraded to 2+2:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056045242

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Great minds thinking alike. Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

There's a similar thread discussing sections that could be upgraded to 2+2:

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056045242

Apologies for not spotting that other thread. Must look over other threads before creating new ones in future.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking off this topic however.

nordydan wrote: »
    So basically the entirety of the N21 in Kerry? I would think that Tralee to the far side of Castleisland at least would be doable with perhaps an intermediate roundabout between the N22 junction and Castleisland for local movements. I wasn't so sure about the road NE of Castleisland

The road NE of Castleisland has enough cutting to expand the road to 2+2 standard although there is a small number houses along the stretch that will have to be CPO'd. IMO it is a good standard of road that was realigned in the early 90's.

Rest of the N21 to the border can easily be upgraded to 2+2 as most of it is WS2.
    Why would you prefer S2 to 2+2?

The N17 is a deathtrap and I would rather see the funds going towards either the Tuam-Claremorris scheme or Collooney-Tubbercurry than the 2+2 upgrade of the Knock/Claremorris bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

n22 tralee - farranfore ?

The road NE of Castleisland has enough cutting to expand the road to 2+2 standard although there is a small number houses along the stretch that will have to be CPO'd. IMO it is a good standard of road that was realigned in the early 90's.

Rest of the N21 to the border can easily be upgraded to 2+2 as most of it is WS2.

The N17 is a deathtrap and I would rather see the funds going towards either the Tuam-Claremorris scheme or Collooney-Tubbercurry than the 2+2 upgrade of the Knock/Claremorris bypass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Agreed, but in any case the retrofit of Knock/Claremorris was suspended in the recent budget cuts.

Upgrading good quality roads to 2+2 is a good idea, but you have to have a wider strategy. For example, what's the point of widening Cavan BP to 2+2 when there is no plan to ever connect it with the M3? Similarly for the N33. Unless the future Dublin-Derry road is routed this way, it's not needed.

That said, this still leaves many of the proposed upgrades:
    All N15/N25 - Atlantic Corridor
    N2 Castleblayney: Dublin-Derry route
    N4 Boyle : Dublin-Sligo 2+2 is a long term objective

I forgot this one: N17 Curry-Charlestown. Easy enough to upgrade.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    While I was driving on the N3 leaving Cavan town this afternoon heading towards Virginia I noticed how wide a lot of this stretch of roadway is.

Would it be feasible to upgrade this type of road, WS2, to S4 spec. That is a type of road with two lanes in each direction without a crash barrier in the middle.

As far as i can see, the only thing that would need to be done would be to repaint the road. This, to me, would seem like a sensible idea.

It would provide a quasi dual carriageway without any new construction or major costs. Seeing as the country is now broke we should look at getting the most out of our existing road network.
    Has such an idea ever been looked at seriously by the NRA or other bodies? Pro's and con's welcomed.

I don't think S4 is a good idea for non-urban roads given the speeds of traffic in each carriageway passing each other without a dividing barrier.

Research has shown that the fatality rates on S4 can be high because of the undivided nature of the carriageways and thus the potential for high speed head-on collisions which tend to be fatal. Having a dividing barrier to make the road 2+2 would be much safer and more prudent.

A problem with upgrading the Cavan to Virginia section of the N3 as I see it would the be the amount of private accesses off the road for houses, minor roads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

One thing that's being hugely overlooked in this thread is the amount of junction work this would require. Some of these roads have alot of at-grade junctions, particularly with local roads. "Left-on-left-off" junctions may work but that would both restrict local access and maybe call for even more roundabouts. Something has to go over or under - and this could be costly. Leaving them as is would be unacceptable in my opinion - it would compromise one of the main safety features of 2+2, having no opposing traffic and no crossing traffic. very interested in seeing a few possible solutions.

Many of the roads that were suggested are offline new builds with few to no crossing roads, though. There were a surprising number of partial or full grade seperated single carriageways built!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Here's a bloody obvious one - N1 Coolock-Whitehall! 2+1 with a huge amount of free space either side and in the middle.

Heard a whisper on here it was made this way to satisfy residents? Either way should be 2x2, its the only single carriageway when you include bus lanes...even Dorset Street/Drumcondra Rd is 2+2 or even 3+3 with those.

Advertisement