Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohs need your money

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Seems they did not heed the lessons which could have been learned from other clubs financial recklessness.

The sooner clubs in this league realise that the LOI is an afterthought in most peoples minds the better and maybe they will then see that paying a guy €2k+ a week when you play in front of 2500MAX every week just does not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I wouldnt give a National League Club a red cent after the way the history and the fans have been denegrated by the powers that be.

The shocking state of National League Football can be traced back to 1987 when money began speaking louder then anything else in the Irish game. Shamrock Rovers became a running gag in Irish football as their history was dragged through the mud upon their departure from Glenmalure Park. This desecration of the legacy of the club was in consideration of 30 pieces of silver for the Kilcoyne's. Rovers then dragged the reputation of Irish football through the mud as they groundshared with all Dublin clubs, sometimes getting booted out by the host club as a result of unruly behaviour of supporters. They went into administration, their head honchos were sacked at the request of the FAI (who are not a bastion of competence at all), and they were relegated. The new legacy which Rovers are building for themselves, in an area which has no historical links to the club, is masking the absent support which existed for the club from the mid to late 1990s and the first half of the noughties. As such, I have real difficulties as Irish football fans latch onto a footballing zeitgeist which encompasses a Rovers club which has little or no link to it's original stomping ground, and is seeking to airbrush the past 15 years from the club's history.

Shelbourne and Bohemians have taken their fans for a ride. I spent thousands of pounds/euros supporting Shelbourne since 1993. They were a club which held their own, they were often in contention for cup competitions, and it was clear that with a little extra luck, a league win was a distinct possibility. In 1999/2000 Shels managed to do a league and cup double. The following year, having followed a similar course of action, Bohs did a league and cup double. The leage was competitive, but then egos got out of kilter, club administration became unprofessional, and then clubs began staking their future on speculation. Shelbourne paid large and unsustainable wages in brining home internationals like Alan Moore, and Curtis Fleming, and getting the top players of the National League to mount a challange for the Champions League. Once this failed in 2005 the writing was on the wall. When Shelbourne went bust, Bohs copied them and purchased a swath of Shelbourne's squad, presumably on similar wages. This has led to the cap-in-hand attempts of Bohemians to illlicit early prize money from the FAI, and a requirement to advance in the Champions League to stay afloat. Obviously that plan was stupid, and they are now paying the price.

Ten years ago our National League was something to be proud of. The development of the 1990s gave rise to a competitive and entertaining League during the first six years of the noughties. Once Shelbourne went tits up the party was over. SInce then we have seen Derry relegated, Dublin City (which had it's genesis in Home Farm) collapse, Cork City fold in it's former incarnation, and Cobh Ramblers disappear off the face of the planet. This doesnt take into account the financially desperate position of Drogheda United, who have been impressive in preseving their Premiership Status.

As a result of all this we have a team like Sporting Fingal dominating, even though they are an astroturf football team, with no history, heritage or long links to the community. I have said my piece about the farce that is Shamrock Rovers. The league must learn that the fans deserve respect, and history must be preserved. Unfortunatly, by the greedy and incompetent acts of the League's management, I believe these simple requests are almost impossible to fulfil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Sure everyone here is just a barstooler who supports a "foreign" club. Ye dont want our money at all.

I'm sure the LOI brigade will be here to pledge their money, dont worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Het-Field wrote: »
    The shocking state of National League Football can be traced back to 1987

It goes back further than that.

Never heard of Cork Celtic, Cork Hibs, Drums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's hard to feel sympathy when you realize that clubs like Pats saw the writing on the wall and cut back drastically (which almost cost them dearly last season) but Bohs continued on their merry way. Also as a members club, surely action could have been taken sooner. The attitude of some of the supporters haven't helped win them a great amount of sympathy in LOI circles either.

For all that, I wouldn't wish it on any supporter for their club to go under. Or even to be like Shels struggling in the first division long-term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I wouldnt give a National League Club a red cent after the way the history and the fans have been denegrated by the powers that be.

The shocking state of National League Football can be traced back to 1987 when money began speaking louder then anything else in the Irish game. Shamrock Rovers became a running gag in Irish football as their history was dragged through the mud upon their departure from Glenmalure Park. This desecration of the legacy of the club was in consideration of 30 pieces of silver for the Kilcoyne's. Rovers then dragged the reputation of Irish football through the mud as they groundshared with all Dublin clubs, sometimes getting booted out by the host club as a result of unruly behaviour of supporters. They went into administration, their head honchos were sacked at the request of the FAI (who are not a bastion of competence at all), and they were relegated. The new legacy which Rovers are building for themselves, in an area which has no historical links to the club, is masking the absent support which existed for the club from the mid to late 1990s and the first half of the noughties. As such, I have real difficulties as Irish football fans latch onto a footballing zeitgeist which encompasses a Rovers club which has little or no link to it's original stomping ground, and is seeking to airbrush the past 15 years from the club's history.

Shelbourne and Bohemians have taken their fans for a ride. I spent thousands of pounds/euros supporting Shelbourne since 1993. They were a club which held their own, they were often in contention for cup competitions, and it was clear that with a little extra luck, a league win was a distinct possibility. In 1999/2000 Shels managed to do a league and cup double. The following year, having followed a similar course of action, Bohs did a league and cup double. The leage was competitive, but then egos got out of kilter, club administration became unprofessional, and then clubs began staking their future on speculation. Shelbourne paid large and unsustainable wages in brining home internationals like Alan Moore, and Curtis Fleming, and getting the top players of the National League to mount a challange for the Champions League. Once this failed in 2005 the writing was on the wall. When Shelbourne went bust, Bohs copied them and purchased a swath of Shelbourne's squad, presumably on similar wages. This has led to the cap-in-hand attempts of Bohemians to illlicit early prize money from the FAI, and a requirement to advance in the Champions League to stay afloat. Obviously that plan was stupid, and they are now paying the price.

Ten years ago our National League was something to be proud of. The development of the 1990s gave rise to a competitive and entertaining League during the first six years of the noughties. Once Shelbourne went tits up the party was over. SInce then we have seen Derry relegated, Dublin City (which had it's genesis in Home Farm) collapse, Cork City fold in it's former incarnation, and Cobh Ramblers disappear off the face of the planet. This doesnt take into account the financially desperate position of Drogheda United, who have been impressive in preseving their Premiership Status.

As a result of all this we have a team like Sporting Fingal dominating, even though they are an astroturf football team, with no history, heritage or long links to the community. I have said my piece about the farce that is Shamrock Rovers. The league must learn that the fans deserve respect, and history must be preserved. Unfortunatly, by the greedy and incompetent acts of the League's management, I believe these simple requests are almost impossible to fulfil.

Man, I have read some bitter posts on here but that takes the biscuit. :pac:

There are so many contradictions in your post, it is ridiculous. so "The shocking state of National League Football can be traced back to 1987 when money began speaking louder then anything else in the Irish game. " yet you then go on to say "Ten years ago our National League was something to be proud of. " at the height of the spending madness.

What you are actually trying to say is because Shels are relegated and not coming back up soon, the league is shite. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Also doing a last man standing tournament
    http://www.eventelephant.com/bohslms5
    Anyone interested feel free to join

What you are actually trying to say is because Shels are relegated and not coming back up soon, the league is shite. :pac:

The league has a duty to provide shiny ties like Juventus and Deportivo for the public on a regular basis. Once they can't: the league is clearly shite.

Once more they have to provide it within reasonable budgets.

And not be allowed to move grounds if the ground gets sold out from under their feet.

Are you so blind to these outrageously simple facts?

Man, I have read some bitter posts on here but that takes the biscuit. :pac:

There are so many contradictions in your post, it is ridiculous. so "The shocking state of National League Football can be traced back to 1987 when money began speaking louder then anything else in the Irish game. " yet you then go on to say "Ten years ago our National League was something to be proud of. " at the height of the spending madness.

I understand that it may seem like a contradiction. However, it was simply an error on my part. I should have stated that the shocking state of Mismanagement by the powers that be goes back to 1987. What I am trying to say is that mismanagement almost gave rise to the destruction of Shamrock Rovers Football Club. It is the management and the powers that be that I have a problem with. They are not going to go away, as they are required to run clubs. However, I am entitled to my opinion that these people dont deserve a red cent when it comes to bailing out their asses.This has nothing to do with the management on the field or some of the players which played in the league. This was what we should be proud of, not the suits.The spending madness didnt commence until 2004. Prior to that most clubs had developed teams over time, and signed players on loan and short term deals.

What is it with the "anti-barstooler" brigade and assumptions and putting words into peoples mouths ? If you read my post you will see what I am saying.

Well you must be happy now?

Obviously you're the loyal type who would never be disenchanted purely on the basis that you're not playing Deporitvo in the Champions League anymore so as Shels are now a prudently-run club on a realistic budget and still playing in their original ground, I assume you're still a regular at Tolka?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

They ain't getting it - I need it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

A full-time professional league isn't sustainable with the sort of crowds that attend LOI games. And why are the crowds small? Because the standard and the level of entertainment at most games is sh1te. Defenders of the LOI can argue all they want but that's the truth of it.

It's often said why don't more people come out and support the LOI, the fact most people can't be bothered tells its own story. I was in a pub in Galway city a few years ago and the onwer behind the bar had a few free tickets to give away for that night's game in Terryland (think it was against Monaghan Utd in Div 1) - not a single person took one. Had that been a Galway GAA game or a Connaught rugby match free tickets would be snapped up pretty quickly. The average Galway sports fan doesn't really give a toss about Galway Utd, and what small support they do get comes almost entirely from the city. As a Galway man myself I have to admit that I've never been to a Galway Utd match, though I have been to a few LOI games in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Slightly ironic that.
    When all the other clubs were sinking like stones financially Boh's swooped for all the best players from those sides and went on to be incredibly successful.
    Now we're all meant to feel sorry for them becasue they couldn't read the writing on the wall and not waste their money.

Sorry Boh's but no one in their right mind outside your fan base would give you a penny.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

aidan24326 wrote: »
    A full-time professional league isn't sustainable with the sort of crowds that attend LOI games. And why are the crowds small? Because the standard and the level of entertainment at most games is sh1te. Defenders of the LOI can argue all they want but that's the truth of it.

It's often said why don't more people come out and support the LOI, the fact most people can't be bothered tells its own story. I was in a pub in Galway city a few years ago and the onwer behind the bar had a few free tickets to give away for that night's game in Terryland (think it was against Monaghan Utd in Div 1) - not a single person took one. Had that been a Galway GAA game or a Connaught rugby match free tickets would be snapped up pretty quickly. The average Galway sports fan doesn't really give a toss about Galway Utd, and what small support they do get comes almost entirely from the city. As a Galway man myself I have to admit that I've never been to a Galway Utd match, though I have been to a few LOI games in Dublin.

...and to think that Galway has three teams that compete in the Top 2 divisions - completely unsustainable (though I'm not slating the clubs for the good work they do).

stovelid wrote: »
    Well you must be happy now?

Obviously you're the loyal type who would never be disenchanted purely on the basis that you're not playing Deporitvo in the Champions League anymore so as Shels are now a prudently-run club on a realistic budget and still playing in their original ground, I assume you're still a regular at Tolka?

Again, you make baseless assumptions about me, without knowing me, or knowing what I believe. I was not one of the faux Shelbourne Supporters who took on the cause in and around the Deportivo game. I have been going to Tolka Park for years. I was there on cold wet nights when Shels were drawing 0-0 with Sligo Rovers. I was there for a meaningless end of season 0-1 defeat to an ordinary Dundalk team in 1997. I was there when St Pat's celebrated their 1995/1996 title by beating Shels 3-0 in April 1996.I fell out with Shelbourne in the months before the Deportivo game, as it was becoming obvious what was going to happen. Players like Jason Byrne didnt come to Shelbourne for nothing. The same applies to Ndo, Moore, and Dave Rogers, while players like Wes Houlihan were not remaining at Tolka Park for peanuts. Subsequently, the signings of Crowe,Baker,Ryan, Hawkins, Fleming and Gary O Neill confirmed what I though about Shelbourne management i.e. that they were staking the club's financial future on the pipe dream that was consistent domestic success and champions league participation and success. Leeds United had fallen as a result of staking their future on Champions League Football. I saw the writing on the wall, and was deeply unhappy about it. Of course, the club stuck it's fingers in it's ears until the club had to release all it's players, was relegated, and was stripped of it's champions league place. These sactions were not down to footballing reasons, their were as a result of economic and financial incompetence by Ollie Byrne (RIP) and his cohorts. For the record, I didnt attend the Deportivo game, and would gladly give it up if it meant this disappointing days in the First Division could have been avoided.

They are still playing at Tolka Park, for now. We all know well that Shelbourne have been discussing movement for some time now. Financially prudent they may be, but the mass exodus of players such as Anto Flood, Dave Crawley etc at the end of last season would suggest that Shelbourne are still conservative in their estimates of the Club's viability.

Again, you make baseless assumptions about me, without knowing me, or knowing what I believe. I was not one of the faux Shelbourne Supporters who took on the cause in and around the Deportivo game. I have been going to Tolka Park for years. I was there on cold wet nights when Shels were drawing 0-0 with Sligo Rovers. I was there for a meaningless end of season 0-1 defeat to an ordinary Dundalk team in 1997. I was there when St Pat's celebrated their 1995/1996 title by beating Shels 3-0 in April 1996.I fell out with Shelbourne in the months before the Deportivo game, as it was becoming obvious what was going to happen. Players like Jason Byrne didnt come to Shelbourne for nothing. The same applies to Ndo, Moore, and Dave Rogers, while players like Wes Houlihan were not remaining at Tolka Park for peanuts. Subsequently, the signings of Crowe,Baker,Ryan, Hawkins, Fleming and Gary O Neill confirmed what I though about Shelbourne management i.e. that they were staking the club's financial future on the pipe dream that was consistent domestic success and champions league participation and success. Leeds United had fallen as a result of staking their future on Champions League Football. I saw the writing on the wall, and was deeply unhappy about it. Of course, the club stuck it's fingers in it's ears until the club had to release all it's players, was relegated, and was stripped of it's champions league place. These sactions were not down to footballing reasons, their were as a result of economic and financial incompetence by Ollie Byrne (RIP) and his cohorts. For the record, I didnt attend the Deportivo game, and would gladly give it up if it meant this disappointing days in the First Division could have been avoided.

They are still playing at Tolka Park, for now. We all know well that Shelbourne have been discussing movement for some time now. Financially prudent they may be, but the mass exodus of players such as Anto Flood, Dave Crawley etc at the end of last season would suggest that Shelbourne are still conservative in their estimates of the Club's viability.

You don't go in other words. That's all I was asking. Cool essay, but.

You don't go in other words. That's all I was asking. Cool essay, but.

I do. Since I started work my trips have diminished as Friday Night is not always the most convenient time. I admit I have only been over four times this season, but I still go. Your assumption is incorrect.

I do. Since I started work my trips have diminished as Friday Night is not always the most convenient time. I admit I have only been over four times this season, but I still go. Your assumption is incorrect.

Fair enough.

I'd share the same exasperation, despair and anger about the state of the league but like most people, you're with your team through thick and thin.

More and more teams are starting to see the light hopefully.

Fair enough.

I'd share the same exasperation, despair and anger about the state of the league but like most people, you're with your team through thick and thin.

More and more teams are starting to see the light hopefully.

I totally agree with your sentiments. I suppose when the dust settled in January 2007 the team had morphed into something I didnt recognise. This was due to the changed supporters, many of whom have completely dropped off the radar as Shelbourne have become trapped in the first Division. It still makes me sad that in Dicey's Garden, after the Man Utd v Airtricty League game at Lansdowne Road (which I wore my Shelbourne Jersey to), two people came up to me and said "I hav not seen one of those in years. I blame Ollie Byrne (RIP) and his cohorts for that. The same type of things has been happening since Glenmalure Park was sold in 1987. As such the league is in a precarious financial position/

I dont wish to sound like somebody who didint want to see Shelbourne become a "glamour team", or a team which would provide great nights to swaths of supporters, such as the La Coruna night. However, I saw what was being done to achieve it and baulked at it. Leeds United and Nottingham Forest were examples of failed experiments at attempts to purchase success. Like Shelbourne, Leeds had a degree of Champions League success. Im sure I speak for every Leeds fan when I say that it was not worth the seasons they spent in League 1 (Old Third Division). The same applies to Shels.

Bohemians are now in dire straits. While Shelbourne were one of the first teams to fall pray to bad financial management, Bohs really began to splurg once Shels went bust. The purchase of Owen Heary, Glen Crowe and Jason byrne would give creedence to that. The management ought to have known the risks they were taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

event wrote: »
    Sure everyone here is just a barstooler who supports a "foreign" club. Ye dont want our money at all.

In fairness I have sky sports and watch champions league so im financially supporting your clubs, you could return the favour :pac:

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    In fairness I have sky sports and watch champions league so im financially supporting your clubs, you could return the favour :pac:

i do

i have a TV license, which gives money to RTE, who have a TV deal with LOI clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Nothing to worry about lads, we have a quiz night going, our financial woes are solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Financially prudent they may be, but the mass exodus of players such as Anto Flood, Dave Crawley etc at the end of last season would suggest that Shelbourne are still conservative in their estimates of the Club's viability.

Those players were gotten rid off cos we didn't get promoted.

And would have been gotten rid of had we done. :D

Anyway to get back on topic, haha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

i do

i have a TV license, which gives money to RTE, who have a TV deal with LOI clubs

The many millions that RTE give the LOI!:confused:

The many millions that RTE give the LOI!:confused:

never said it was loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

i do

The FAI pay RTE to show games.

bohsman wrote: »
    The FAI pay RTE to show games.

never heard that, you got a link by any chance?

it must have changed from last year, in 09 clubs got around €20000 a year plus an extra €35000 if featured on TV more than 6 times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can't say I'd give any money to a club when my own is suffering financially too. Sadly can't see a lot of LOI teams lasting too long.

never heard that, you got a link by any chance?

it must have changed from last year, in 09 clubs got around €20000 a year plus an extra €35000 if featured on TV more than 6 times

Yes clubs get money from RTE, its from the last TV deal, it was worth 5m less for the FAI to include LOI games/MNS in the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

It is sustainable. It just needs proper management.

As for standards and entertainment being ****e I think you should watch Sligo Rovers play. Some savage football on display all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

AgileMyth wrote: »

As for standards and entertainment being ****e I think you should watch Sligo Rovers play. Some savage football on display all season.

Exactly. It seem the be easy stick to beat this league with, "****e football, not sustainable etc etc etc". Fans of this league know that some really good football has been played over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Buying all those leagues have come back to bite them in the ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

AgileMyth wrote: »

How is it sustainable? What wage level below which does it stop being professional? Pay the players a hundred quid a match, that would be sustainable, but I wouldn't call it professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Buying all those leagues have come back to bite them in the ass

Heard their going to try giving players dual contracts!:)

amacachi wrote: »
    How is it sustainable? What wage level below which does it stop being professional? Pay the players a hundred quid a match, that would be sustainable, but I wouldn't call it professional.

The idea of professional isnt in wages its training 4 times a week as opposed to 2.

So professional football works as can be seen by the results in europe and standard of football, what doesnt work is paying players 2 grand a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'd love to know what their plan is to finance the guaranteed 5% return on investment considering their current state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

iregk wrote: »
    I'd love to know what their plan is to finance the guaranteed 5% return on investment considering their current state.

They're probably banking on European money from next season already.

iregk wrote: »

Even Rovers managed 4%, Im sure we'll find it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Your argument is invalid

Also about entertainment drive up to the Showgrounds and you'll see highly paced entertaining cup winning football :)

The point about correctly managed fulltime football being sustainable is true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Paulw wrote: »
    They're probably banking on European money from next season already.

as is generally the plan with all things bohs. i see a cash advance request following this shortly and all they will do is give themselves a small stay of execution...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I dont get this post, is it supposed to be ironic or what?

The writing has been on the wall for Bohs for years. Unfortunately they are in so deep i cant see any way out for them. :(

gustavo wrote: »
    The point about correctly managed fulltime football being sustainable is true

This is true.

Just that the idea of sustainable won''t involve successful nights in Europe any more, and by extension, won't attract any ole ole oles.

Neither of which was ever a given when pumping in stupid money anyway.

This is true.

Just that the idea of sustainable won''t involve successful nights in Europe any more, and by extension, won't attract any ole ole oles.

Neither of which was ever a given when pumping in stupid money anyway.

For some strange reason Irish League football became almost predicated on some good European results in the first half of the decade. The saying "one swallow doesnt make a summer" should have been at the forefront of the minds of Shelbourne's board of management in 2004. Attempts to build a "Eircom League" super-team were wide of the mark. When the 2005 League Championship was lost, and Shels had been dumped out of Europe by Steua Bucharest it became obvious that the entire thing was a house of cards built on quicksand.

The Football Association of Ireland should be looking to international best practice to ensure managable debts exist at the league's top football clubs, all transfers over a certain monetary value (be it transfer fees and or wages) should be vetted, and all club financial plans should be considered as to their viability and as to the fundamental basis on which they are formed. I know this is less then free-market and it doesnt allow for the average risks and speculation which can be the catalyst for significant copporate success. However, many Irish Clubs have shown themselves to be financially incompetent. As a result, they should temporarily lose the right to govern their own financial affairs without fetter.

For some strange reason Irish League football became almost predicated on some good European results in the first half of the decade. The saying "one swallow doesnt make a summer" should have been at the forefront of the minds of Shelbourne's board of management in 2004. Attempts to build a "Eircom League" super-team were wide of the mark. When the 2005 League Championship was lost, and Shels had been dumped out of Europe by Steua Bucharest it became obvious that the entire thing was a house of cards built on quicksand.

The best results were in the 2nd half of the decade ie the ones that got the coefficent up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

63314_10150268447205367_821055366_15038882_4988728_n.jpg

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The best results were in the 2nd half of the decade ie the ones that got the coefficent up.

But the key results which gave rise to the ridiculous financial policies of Ireland's clubs were garnered in the first half of the decade.

CiaranC wrote: »

The writing has been on the wall for Bohs for years. Unfortunately they are in so deep i cant see any way out for them. :(

If only we had an asset worth at least as much as our debts...

Its about keeping cashflow going till we can drastically reduce our budget (easier said than done) and then running at a profit till we can do a proper deal for Dalymount without worrying about a dry cleaner or whatever taking out a winding up order possibly forcing a firesale of dalymount.

bohsman wrote: »
    If only we had an asset worth at least as much as our debts...

Its about keeping cashflow going till we can drastically reduce our budget (easier said than done) and then running at a profit till we can do a proper deal for Dalymount without worrying about a dry cleaner or whatever taking out a winding up order possibly forcing a firesale of dalymount.

Like you say though, the major issue is that creditors/reduced cashflow coupled with an asset that is worth X but whose sale cannot be quickly resolved (whether because of ownership disputes or a moribund property market) is potentially disastrous.

In five tears time, we will probably have a city without a Tolka or Dalymount Park which is sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Heard their going to try giving players dual contracts!:)

Dont you mean "coaching" contracts

Like you say though, the major issue is that creditors/reduced cashflow coupled with an asset that is worth X but whose sale cannot be quickly resolved (whether because of ownership disputes or a moribund property market) is potentially disastrous.

In five tears time, we will probably have a city without a Tolka or Dalymount Park which is sad.

Yea, agreed. There's no longer any ownership disputes btw but its sad looking back that we were in profit after the Aberdeen game 10 years ago with the Jodi stand in construction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement