Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thread for crashs,explosions buildups?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Do you think it would be a good idea to have a thread for people to post up samples of any of the above they create?

perhaps detailing exactly how they made the sound?
    i do notice alot of producers on here dont seem to have any in there songs that go past the whitenoise buildup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

seannash wrote: »
    Do you think it would be a good idea to have a thread for people to post up samples of any of the above they create?

perhaps detailing exactly how they made the sound?
    i do notice alot of producers on here dont seem to have any in there songs that go past the whitenoise buildup

Probably because that sort of track 'dressing' doesn't happen until a track is close to completion - I wanted to get sub forums for all this sort of stuff to keep it all organised but supermods thought otherwise... We could have had a techniques sub forum and covered each part from bass drum upwards, otherwise it will just get lost.

What maybe we could do though is start all the categories and then i'll make a sticky 'meta' thread with links to all those sections we can fill out over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Good idea Sean!

Making these kind of impacts and explosions or whatever can be quite fun and simplier than you think.

I always tend to resample when making something like this. You can get something as basic as a perc hit, like a conga or something, pitch it down really low play the note with a ****load of efx, mainly a lot of reverb and delay. Then just resample taking the intial hit out and keeping the tail, or you can keep the intial hit in if it sounds good. And if you want to make a longer whooshy type noise, then loop a little bit of the tail, play it on the keyboard for as long as you need then maybe automate the pitch to rise or fall. Theres so many different ways or doing this kind of thing would be interested to see what other people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Another really handy tip is that reversing sounds can be so useful, so if you make a whooshy noise that builds up, you can simply reverse it so it whooshes down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

i just found this today - The Belgian Drum and bass community. Our brothers in Belgium.

http://www.drumnbass.be/downloads.html

They have a lot of Roland JX 305 samples on it (which is just a MC 505 with a proper keyboard. )

There's lots of cymbals, pads and noises, also.

I'm having technical difficulties getting stuff off my MC 505 to my laptop - I need one of those funny supplies that filters the power noise. Otherwise the samples come with gunk. At high performance I need to run the laptop to run Ableton with the power cable out - the battery literally only lasts minutes.

What are those power supplies called? - I'm going to try track one down.

krd wrote: »
    i just found this today - The Belgian Drum and bass community. Our brothers in Belgium.

http://www.drumnbass.be/downloads.html

They have a lot of Roland JX 305 samples on it (which is just a MC 505 with a proper keyboard. )

There's lots of cymbals, pads and noises, also.

I'm having technical difficulties getting stuff off my MC 505 to my laptop - I need one of those funny supplies that filters the power noise. Otherwise the samples come with gunk. At high performance I need to run the laptop to run Ableton with the power cable out - the battery literally only lasts minutes.

What are those power supplies called? - I'm going to try track one down.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtemplate.asp?criteria=%20MAINS%20FILTER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

SteveDon wrote: »
    Another really handy tip is that reversing sounds can be so useful, so if you make a whooshy noise that builds up, you can simply reverse it so it whooshes down

Ya i love the reversing technique.. on the remix i did of sunrise every now and again theres like this mad laserish kind of sound which is meant to introduce/subtract sounds to the mix.. all i did there was grab a snare i think it was, reversed it ran it through tons of fx duplictaed the channel then re-reversed the duplicate and joined them both together.. i love reveresed snare gives you that kind of sucking up sound.. almost like breathing in then out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Probably because that sort of track 'dressing' doesn't happen until a track is close to completion - I wanted to get sub forums for all this sort of stuff to keep it all organised but supermods thought otherwise... We could have had a techniques sub forum and covered each part from bass drum upwards, otherwise it will just get lost.

What maybe we could do though is start all the categories and then i'll make a sticky 'meta' thread with links to all those sections we can fill out over time?

Great Idea NJ - Only took about a year after me saying it for you to recycle the suggestion. Fair play.

I used to be on this Forum lots & tbh.. part of the reason that I've frequented it less & less is due to the lack of direction here. It really could have been great.. but things are made far too complicated here with talk about uploading to other sites & sub forums and all the rest.

For gods sake.. Make a Locked Meta Thread Sticky once & for all - Divided into relevant sections with links to cool posts.

Its been nearly a year now since my Thread about what was going to happen in this Forum. NJ - If you have made your mind up this time to do it, please do cos its what is holding back this place. Bit of clear Leadership always helps from time to time.

Just do it. Stop making it so complicated Mate. We dont live in a ideal world but thankfully the needs of the users here are simple.

If I could have done it myself for everyone, then I would have.. Cos its such an obvious & simple thing to do.
    Neurojazz wrote: »
    Well, i don't think it will happen - impartiality doesn't happen here, mac v pc or my daw is better than yours (without even seeing other ones) keep creeping up constantly.

So threads would descend into unfocused mush fairly quickly.

The amount of techniques involved also, as per a curriculum would be crazy to try and do this in an organised format publicly without the thread going off topic fast - ideally there would be a protocol for the threads, and most people don't read that sort of information and follow it - so the the thread would be dragged into newbie posts while the people who have focused lose the will to live.

The Meta thread idea is a simple solution and i'd agree, but it would be much crap and occasional nuggets in there.

I think what you want, and what you visualize is more possible with premade posts that are sent privately to myself and then i assemble / edit / host pictures (for life) and then produce a separate webpage where we can have these topics on an ad-free site - then the contributions are kept pure from mudslinging/waffle/etc...

But to do it here on boards... it's to large a subject for the forum format - this is a place for discussion, not for a 'total topic coverage / education system'

ICN wrote: »
    Just do it. Stop making it so complicated Mate. We dont live in a ideal world but thankfully the needs of the users here are simple.

;) - My time is finite, also wrangling:-

A small boy,
    Had a global release to tend to,
    15 tracks for an album,
    My EDM set,
    and my work in part on the Binary live set down in Oz (though that was finished a while back now)

Then, dealing with soundcloud and keeping my own catalog going and trying my hardest to keep a finger on current 'stuff'

A sub forum would have been fire and forget, and never realised you'd suggested the Meta before it was taken to the Smods.

Sorry the forums been a disappointing for you - but it's a group effort, not the mods responsibility for suppling the all the content 24/7.

A lot of stuff Sean and others have been throwing in has been great - the meta probably will happen when I get like 2mins in my own head for formatting - and i mean that literally - nothing complicated - just a really f**king busy / full life that my little one takes precedence most times :)

Sorry for the snails pace! - but look on bright side, should i get paid eventually then i can invest more time.

xxx

Matt.

We've all got lives..

But like it or not Matt - You are the Daddy of this one Mate.

Find the time to make it work - or get another / New Mod who will help.

If you dont/cant pre-empt problems & the scheduling of all the things in your life then its just poor management.

Especially when you are coming back with this stuff when challenged. The lines between reality & excuses become blurred. Fact.

Its wrong not to implement stuff like this as routine. All you have to do is get people to PM you (or whoever) helpful posts, or link them when you see them yourself.

Its not "stay awake at night" dissapointing for me by any stretch of the imagination.. but I'll admit I see the potential of this place being wasted & its annoying.. not dissapointing.

Get on with it. No one cares why it hasnt been done. When is it going to be done?

Get another Mod in if you cant juggle your life & the extra responsibilities that you have taken on. Its unfair to those who choose to use this site if you do not do what is required.. regardless of the reason.

No badness Mate - Just being totally honest with you.

Yeah, don't see it as a dig - did also try to get someone to cover but didn't happen.

Am working like a bitch to try and make time... believe me...

Like been up from 6/7am working till 11pm+ sat at a computer daily fighting for an existence ;) - another mod might help, trouble is who? - if there was anyone able, they'd be here filling the deficit no?

• Advertisement

Grand :cool:

Sorry - I dont understand the Paul Brewer speak at the end there, no?

In terms of the extra Mod thing - No Brainer. Get a list together of regular posters that appear to have the aptitude for such an endeavour & ask if they will do it?

Would boards approve that?

They would reporting into you & taking direction on particular set tasks from yourself.. such as the metash!t.

You'd only be talking a couple of hours a week / going back through the forum & then being able to concentrate on the new posts. Plenty of regular posters with opposable thumbs that would fit the bill.

They would reporting into you & taking direction on particular set tasks from yourself.. such as the metash!t.

They wouldn't be under my thumb - they'd be their own person etc...

God knows who to pick ;) - I can ask for sure, I don't think the Smods will have a problem if the person is ok.

Hope you do it Matt.

Regardless of what happens there has to be a Team effort.

Best of luck with it.

Hope you do it Matt.

Regardless of what happens there has to be a Team effort.

Best of luck with it.

kk, I've asked the category mods - have submitted 2 names to them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

We've all got lives..

But like it or not Matt - You are the Daddy of this one Mate.

Find the time to make it work - or get another / New Mod who will help.

If you dont/cant pre-empt problems & the scheduling of all the things in your life then its just poor management.

Especially when you are coming back with this stuff when challenged. The lines between reality & excuses become blurred. Fact.

Get another Mod in if you cant juggle your life & the extra responsibilities that you have taken on. Its unfair to those who choose to use this site if you do not do what is required.. regardless of the reason.

Why don't you put your name forward as a mod then ICN?

Having a full time job and kids, I understand the pressures Matt must be under and I'd hardly count the reason for his time being tied up as excuses.

I understand where you're coming from to a certain extent but an awful lot of the time you get from these things what you contribute so if you're not bothered using the forum why are you bothered criticising it?

I think the Remix competitions Matt has introduced are a great idea and a good way for people to try and develop their skills so he gets a big thumbs up for me on that. To get blow by blow advice on a tune is great.

I don't understand the need for everything to be a sticky, if I find something I have an interest in I bookmark it - simples. Is there a need to clog up the top of the forum?

Mods are there to help keep a forum on an even keel imo but its up to the users to contribute to the site and keep it going. Maybe we all need to chip in a bit more and bring more content to the table.

Really dont want to get into a slagging Match - so heres my last post in this thread:

What I do have is an opinion - Same as you.. which I respect.

Hopefully this place will benefit from another Mod, who will be able to lead more content, better organisation & more events - such as remix comps etc..

Everyone wins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I don't understand the need for everything to be a sticky, if I find something I have an interest in I bookmark it - simples. Is there a need to clog up the top of the forum?

Stickies are great for noobs that come in and have missed some of the earlier stuff and so dont have it bookmarked. Also very handy for those of us who forget to bookmark things from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Stickies are great for noobs that come in and have missed some of the earlier stuff and so dont have it bookmarked. Also very handy for those of us who forget to bookmark things from time to time.

True, I suppose I'm just not really one for perusing through stickies that much. I normally learn more through the back and forth that will occur naturally in threads and the different tips people usually give. I always think if you go onto a forum and there's about 10/15 different stickies that the moderator’s gone a bit over the top. Maybe that's just me…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

True, I suppose I'm just not really one for perusing through stickies that much. I normally learn more through the back and forth that will occur naturally in threads and the different tips people usually give. I always think if you go onto a forum and there's about 10/15 different stickies that the moderator’s gone a bit over the top. Maybe that's just me…
    I kind of agree,Stickies tend to stifle alot of the natural flow of a conversation.
    Alot of interesting techniques and discussions take place in totally random topics.
    If a noob isd constantly pointed to a sticky for his queries itll dry up the discussions some what.

For example is someone is asking about basic eq'ing the thread might lead to a more indepth discussion on eqing.
    But if you just redirect them to a sticky that pretty much kills the thread.

I know its frustrating having the same topics come up but hopefully they'll lead to something a bit more worthwhile

Advertisement