Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric kids cars

Options
  • 28-09-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi there
    We were thinking of buying an electric (battery driven) ride in car for our daughter for xmas. Anyone have one? Are they worth the money? How long do you get from one charge?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

A little girl I looked after got one for Xmas a couple of years ago and honestly it didnt get a huge amount of use.
    Was a novelty for the first couple of days but not for much longer. Think she got a bit bored just sitting there not really gdoing anything!
    Personally I would advise getting something that has to be manually moved giving child some exercise!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

what age is your daughter op?

my parents got my daughter one when she was one and a half :rolleyes: it's packed away in the garage attic for years now. waste of money imo.

i second bookkeeper09's idea, something manual is way more fun. my daughter has one of those "rockers", they're three wheeled go carts and she loves it, and tbh, i want one for myself :o

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

We got our son a little sit in Lightning McQueen for christmas when he was 2 and a bit. He was obsessed with the movie cars and still is obsessed with real cars (family of mechanics on both sides.) I'd say it was used twice max, before being left out the back in the rain as it just annoyed, bored and frustrated him.

First of all you cant get outside the door with them with irish weather and secondly on the rare occasion you have the weather and the kid is actually interested, the battery is dead or lasts 5 minutes. Than theres the fact they also get bored quickly as they can't get in and out as they please, they crash into a wall (granted at 1mph) but than they can't work reverse so just get frustrated. Much better with a little trike or pedal car as they can get about in them, can get in and out as they please and do things at their own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

My little fella got a ferrari one for xmas last year when he was 2.5yrs.. he was able to manage it great and loved it for the first few weeks, the battery lasts a few hours on it. now tho its sittin in the playroom and is used maybe once a month and its usually after one of the neighbours kids askin to use it.
    He got a bike for his 3rd Birthday in May and its used from morning til night every single day.He loves it and cost only a fraction of the ferrari. I dont regret getting it for him and he loves tell to people he has a Ferrari at home!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Another against here- we bought not one but two electric 'fairy' quad motor bikes for our two for Christmas 08- used approximately twice or three times...the battery was fine, they never used them for long enough to wear out the battery. Since then, real bicycles, trampoline, scooters- they get loads of exercise and never stop using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My sister gave me her son's electric motorbike for my son when her lad got older. He went on it maybe 5 times but it was soooooooooo slow that he soon got fed up with it and hasn't looked at it since......

Waste of money imo, glad it wasn't myself who had paid for it

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

A friend of mine got one for her son aged 2.....it was more like a piece of furniture....never used and only got in the way. They aint small and compact!!

I agree with the other posters, a bike or scooter would be much better a) for your daughter and b) for space in your home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

newwifey wrote: »
    Hi there
    We were thinking of buying an electric (battery driven) ride in car for our daughter for xmas. Anyone have one? Are they worth the money? How long do you get from one charge?
    Thanks
    Big lump of plastic that moves on wheels when you press a pedal and turn the wheel with little control. My niece had one and it was used and 'driven' for a day or two before being consigned to the garage to rot.

A bike or pedal cart is much more fun and lasts longer. I know a kid who got a pedal cart, custom built to carry two kids. A year later they were still pedalling it around the place with plenty of eager friends waiting for a go off it;)

The pedal option in my opinion improves co-ordination, control and is good for excercise as well. Plus it allows more control for the kid using their legs and the steering in tandom.

When I was a kid we built our own carts and had competitions to see which was the best in a race down a hill from a standing start. We engineered some great carts which at times went so fast that we ended up crashing badly. We learned to add brakes after that;)

Don't waste your money on plastic garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Well thanks so much for all the replies.
    I guess thats a resounding NO then!
    We have 3 DD's from 18 months to 6 years.
    Middle one is mental about cars and mini coopers in particular.
    Have found a UK site where they do a pedal version of the electric mini which should tick all the boxes.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

newwifey wrote: »
    Well thanks so much for all the replies.
    I guess thats a resounding NO then!
    We have 3 DD's from 18 months to 6 years.
    Middle one is mental about cars and mini coopers in particular.
    Have found a UK site where they do a pedal version of the electric mini which should tick all the boxes.
    Thanks again

Sounds great. A pedal car mini!! Your child has good taste. Do you have a link to the site? I drove a mini to work years ago it was the biz;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement