Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who plug in headphone and ignore everything

• 28-09-2010 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Interested in what the esteemed inhabitants of AH think about people who hide behind an iPod/Phone/Mp3 player and refuse to communicate with others in a public setting (bus, library, train, tram, gym, etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

ILA wrote: »
    Interested in what the esteemed inhabitants of AH think about people who hide behind an iPod/Phone/Mp3 player and refuse to communicate with others in a public setting (bus, library, train, tram, gym, etc.)

I think they're Irelands greatest heroes and you should stop bothering them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Why are you trying to talk to strangers on the bus who have earphones in? Take the hint and let them enjoy their journey in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Are you a chugger?

CHUGGER ALERT!

But seriously, you do realise you're asking why do people listen to music when they can listen to traffic. Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What is it with people who think it's appropriate to talk to complete strangers in places like the bus, the library (STFU!) and the gym? What's wrong with them that they can't go for an hour without flapping their gums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'm sitting in a doctors waiting room and kickin myself that i forgot my headphones. People annoy me. And as for being on a bus, never get on one anymore without my headphones, i'm sick of ould ones telling me their life story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I dunno what busses and trains you're travelling on, but about 99.9% of the ones I've travelled on, everybody pretty much keeps to themselves. I'd rather be listening to music on my commute than be just standing there while everybody is either stuck into a book, reading the metro, sleeping or staring out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

chin grin wrote:
    [Are you a chugger?

CHUGGER ALERT!

But seriously, you do realise you're asking why do people listen to music when they can listen to traffic. Wow.
    No, I'm even worse: I use this method of mp3 and headphones to me a commute tolerable and was posting in AH to see what reception this gets in the hidden mind of the "general public", assuming AH is anyway representative of public opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I took the luas home yesterday and have never been so severely punished for forgetting my iPod. Two knackers blasting out the knacker national anthem (Rhianna-Umbrella) from their cheap tin sounding mobile phones. All hail Mp3 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

seamus wrote: »
    What is it with people who think it's appropriate to talk to complete strangers in places like the bus, the library (STFU!) and the gym? What's wrong with them that they can't go for an hour without flapping their gums?

Ah, I don't mind random chit-chat - can be a pleasant little interlude to the day - but sometimes you just want a bit of piece and quiet.

I used to work in a job that frazzled my brain and involved talking to a lot of people day-to-day. Sometimes you'd need a short while to recharge, especially if people were being especially difficult that day.

The amount of people that have no compunction or sense of awareness about basic social cues is shocking! Every time (and I mean every time) I would sit down with a book and my headphones in, someone would come along to ask what I was reading/listening to. Seriously people, take the f.ucking hint!

Eventually had to resort to sitting round the back of the store, out of the canteen and away from colleagues/customers just to get a few minutes peace. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

People choosing to listen to music on headphones that isn't audible to everyone else , no problem. People blaring inane s**te from a mobile phone or mp3 player out loud on a bus or train , turf them off then take them away and sterilise them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If I want to talk to weirdos on a bus I will, my MP3 player is a shield against these kind of freaks. I don't know you, I prob have nothing in common with you (apart from taking the same public transport) so leave me alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

f**kers in the jaquzzi in the gym, trying to chat up birds, need an underwater iphone to combat that carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

sometimes people just wanna be left alone. if you can't understand that, you probably shouldn't be allowed on buses/libraries/wherever else.

Here's one. Does anyone put their earphones in but are not listening to any tunes? I do it the odd time. Just to listen in............cos I'm curious........Or just paranoid. Dunno.

People choosing to listen to music on headphones that isn't audible to everyone else , no problem. People blaring inane s**te from a mobile phone or mp3 player out loud on a bus or train , turf them off then take them away and sterilise them.
    Yeah, that's a whole other thread. What the feck is up with that? It's like an hour of torture on every commute if you don't have an an MP3 player.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Here's one. Does anyone put their earphones in but are not listening to any tunes? I do it the odd time. Just to listen in............cos I'm curious........Or just paranoid. Dunno.

I do it when I'm sitting beside people I don't want to talk to in my office. I don't necessarily want to listen to music (maybe I'm hungover!) but I don't want to talk either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Ah the good old office wiretap. Works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

You know sometimes after a long hard day at work the last thing I want to have to listen to on the commute home is some teenagers playing music over their mobile phone/some drunk spouting ****e/some foreigners who don't realise you don't have to yell everything in your native language to have a fecking conversation with the person beside you/[insert your hate here] .

[/thread]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Maybe we just dont like people.

Yeah, I do "spot checks" on the conversations around me from time to time. Just hit the pause button and earwig.
    candy-gal1 wrote:
    Maybe we just dont like people.
    You can't "just not like people", you have to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep, have also perfected the stare into the distance so I can ignore people who approach asking for money, ciggarettes or worst of all 'Is there a bus due?'....you walked past the timetable to come here and ask me you lazy f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

and there we have it, the reason ireland has lost its tag of a warm friendly country! people hiding behind a wall of music the whole time and who have the social skills of a feckin table!get out and talk to people,you would be pleasantly surprised! for every weirdo you talk to there is a really interesting person aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Thankfully I don't commute to work on public transport the moment, but if I did everyday, I would imagine I would stick in the headphones for the most part. I do like to keep alert to what's going on around me though. I would not really do it in another country though, as I like to experience the different sounds and goings on.

flas wrote: »
    and there we have it, the reason ireland has lost its tag of a warm friendly country! people hiding behind a wall of music the whole time and who have the social skills of a feckin table!get out and talk to people,you would be pleasantly surprised! for every weirdo you talk to there is a really interesting person aswell.

You can't hear the really interesting person for the lunatic shouting obscenities though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Yeah, I do "spot checks" on the conversations around me from time to time. Just hit the pause button and earwig.

You can't "just not like people", you have to!

Have to like or not like people?

Why would i have to like them? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

My pet peeve is when I see a bunch of emo kids walking down the street each and everyone of them with earphones in and music blaring ,I mean if you're not going to actually interact with your mates why not stay in your bedroom and finish carving 4 real into your arm Richey Edwards style .

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yep, have also perfected the stare into the distance so I can ignore people who approach asking for money, ciggarettes or worst of all 'Is there a bus due?'....you walked past the timetable to come here and ask me you lazy f*ck.

Generally speaking the timetable is about as good as a ouija board for bus times. Also, it's generally been torn off the pole and used as toilet paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Generally speaking the timetable is about as good as a ouija board for bus times. Also, it's generally been torn off the pole and used as toilet paper.

True, but if I am standing at the bus stop I am not going to know any better.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The last time my MP3 player battery ran out while I was on the Luas, I was treated to the sound of four of those warm friendly Irish people- blind drunk at five in the afternoon - giving out about how, thanks to Mary Robinson, foreign b*tches like me were stealing all their jobs and should f*ck off home.

I daresay that has more to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Snakeblood wrote: »
    You can't hear the really interesting person for the lunatic shouting obscenities though.

maybe in dublin, but not in the rest of the country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's the morning that's the worst. In the morning I just want to zone out and keep to my own thoughts. One the main reasons I avoid taking the bus at all costs is the painful time when you get a morning bus and someone you know gets on and sits beside you for the whoel journey when you've only 5 minutes of conversation between you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

maybe in dublin, but not in the rest of the country!

I'm from the countryside, and I have to take a 3 hour bus trip once or twice a week. If it wasn't for my MP3 player, I'd have hurled myself out of the fire escape years ago.

People who are willing to inflict a conversation on me whether I like it or not are unlikely to be the kind of people I want to talk to at length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The OP sounds like one of those people that haunt old-man pubs in Dublin and automatically assume that anybody there by themselves drinking Guinness is just dying to hear their interminable thoughts on the fucking universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I love nothing better than listening to my ipod on a bus or in the Library.So your point is moot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

ta-da! ;)

http://www.adverts.ie/155000/ipod-and-mp3/ipod-waterproof-case-earphones/
    minotour wrote: »
    f**kers in the jaquzzi in the gym, trying to chat up birds, need an underwater iphone to combat that carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

<takes out earphones>

sorry OP, whatcha say there?

get out and talk to people,you would be pleasantly surprised! for every weirdo you talk to there is a really interesting person aswell.

Yes but you remember the weirdos more vividly

"Oh yes, I remember that woman who annoyed me on the bus, rabbiting on about bullshiit, kept patting my head and tried to stick a finger in me bum :eek:. I'll never forget that day on the bus"

as opposed to

"Yeah still great mates with that guy who asked me if I watched the football the night before"

Not worth the hassle imo! Plenty of people to talk to in the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I was actually wondering how people would react to the following scenario:

Typical scene of a couple of scummer kids down the back of the bus blaring music out of their cheap shítty phones. A lone dissenter confronts them and tells them to turn their music off.

Obviously if the scummers acquiesce to the dissenter then you'd prob think the he or she was a legend. However if they refuse and things start to get a bit verbal/tasty would you be prepared to back the dissenter if need be (not even physically, I mean just verbally) or would you just sit there quitely hiding in your shell?

I am convinced there is absolutely no one on a bus (other than the scummers themselves) who want to hear this music, so by that logic there should be enough willpower to the contrary to make sure these portable scumbag discos never occur on a bus. So why does it happen? How is the best way to turn a majority against scum who are only playing off self-imposed isolation?

bonerm wrote: »
    I was actually wondering how people would react to the following scenario:

Typical scene of a couple of scummer kids down the back of the bus blaring music out of their cheap shítty phones. A lone dissenter confronts them and tells them to turn their music off.

Obviously if the scummers acquiesce to the dissenter then you'd prob think the he or she was a legend. However if they refuse and things start to get a bit verbal/tasty would you be prepared to back the dissenter if need be (not even physically, I mean just verbally) or would you just sit there quitely hiding in your shell?

I am convinced there is absolutely no one on a bus (other than the scummers themselves) who want to hear this music, so by that logic there should be enough willpower to the contrary to make sure these portable scumbag discos never occur on a bus. So why does it happen? How is the best way to turn a majority against scum who are only playing off self-imposed isolation?

"I AM GOING TO KICK THE LIVING SH*T OUT OF YOU EEJITS IF YOU DON'T TURN OFF THAT STUPID UNTS UNTS UNTS CR*P, WHO'S WITH ME?"

<crickets>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't get it with some idiots in public or at home.

I walk about with headphones in/on my ears so I can concentrate on whats being listened to.
    Seriously, how thick or blind does a person have to be, not to be able to see that I don't want to be disturbed?
    If I wanted to chat or be disturbed, I wouldn't have the headphones on.

Its not rocket science for gawd sake!

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »

I walk about with headphones in/on my ears so I can concentrate on whats being listened to.
    Seriously, how thick or blind does a person have to be, not to be able to see that I don't want to be disturbed?

Love the ould point at me earphones routine and keep walking with the Chuggers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Biggins wrote: »

Who says you'd want to be disturbed even if you didn't have headphones in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Who says you'd want to be disturbed even if you didn't have headphones in?
    True, very true but jeasus, if I have headphones in, thats my polite way of indicating "please piss off, I'm busy, I don't want to be disturbed!" (unless its a life or death emergency)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I never wear earphones. I don't even have an MP3 player. If I go for a walk, it's for the sake of a nice peaceful walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The only issue I have with it is morons who listen to their mp3 players and then forget how to cross a road.

Look both ways children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I always use my MP3 player when I travel by bus or train or if walking around town. I have a fine grasp of the English language and speak clearly. Yo my knowledge my social skills are just fine. Why should I talk to someone just for the sake of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

If I didn't have my music through my headphones at work the chances of we having gone or going postal are greatly increased.

Music saves lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

The only problem I have myself as a fellow ipod/mp3 public user if you'd like to call it with other people who have headphones in is that they blare they're ipod up to the max just so everyone can hear what music they are listening to, occasionally looking around to see if they're surprise dj set is going well, hate those people! They're just as bad as the scummers playing songs off their phones on the bus! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

NothingMan wrote: »
    Take the hint and let them enjoy their journey in peace.

Wish more people would do this, I was on dame street a few weeks ago and some scumbag came up to me looking for change, I only noticed him when he was right in my face saying something along the lines of no need to ignor me, had to explain to him earphones - listening to music - didn't hear you - p*ss off and get a job and an eye-test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Its a bit rude but bliss at the same time!!! Its a means of escape from the hum drum busy life but guess they should be more courteous to have the sound down cause the music can often be heard at full volume when on a train or bus like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement