Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Auckland

Options
  • 28-09-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,
    I have just got a working holiday visa for new zealand and i plan to arrive in Auckland with my other half in early November.
    I would love if someone could give me a bit of advice on the following;

- Best areas to live in Auckland - we are hoping to stay there for a couple of months, does anyone have any advice on good neighbourhoods to rent in Auckland? I wouldnt like to be too far from the city centre.
    - Job situation - I currently work in the finance/admin area, but would be willing to take on any work, bar work etc. How hard is it to find jobs over there at the moment?
    - Best hostels to stay in when we first arrive, any ideas?

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I'll be in the same boat as yourself, everything is now confirmed I'm heading over on the 11th November. Hopefully Auckland has a nice Ranelagh type suburb for me to feel at home in.

Fingers crossed that they'll be hiring civil engineers when I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 keaneray

Hey,

Been living and working in Auckland since Jan of this year and know the fairly city well. Here's some info on the questions you asked:

Best Areas:

(1) CBD. Basically if you can see the famous Sky City Tower you'll be in walking distance of everything.
    (2) Newmarket. Nice upmarket area on the train line and link bus (cheap bus route around city).
    (3) Parnell. Just north of Newmarket and is on link bus.
    (4) Ponsonby. Party central area a little west out from the city. On the link bus route and very popular.
    (5) Other noted areas include Kingsland, Mt. Eden, Grafton & Remuera. All these are in close proximity to the city and are good for public transport.

Generally if you are looking for a 1 bedroom furnished apartment expect to pay $300-$350 per week. Bills are approx $20. You might find it hard to get a place if you're not staying for awhile. Generally most rental apartments are min 6 months stay or you lose your bond.

Jobs:

Getting a job can be easy or tough depending on how hard you try. Best advice it to start looking now and any job you apply for just follow it up. Generally employers downunder tend not to call people back. It's up to you to put in the effort. Also tell them you'll stay for the year. No one like employing short termers. Hospitality work is plentyful, but not greatly paid. If you have experience in the finance/admin area apply for these jobs first. Make sure you're CV is up to scratch and glowing. Check the sites below for advice on CV setup.

(@abitofacomedian) I'm in the engineering sector at the mo. There are jobs in the civil market, but employers usually specify 4-5+ years experience. If needs be modify for CV to suit and start looking straight away.

Look at these sites for jobs:

http://www.seek.co.nz/

http://jobs.nzherald.co.nz/

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jobs/index.htm

When you arrive get the airbus into the city. The most popular hostel in the city is Base on Queen St. (main street in Auckland). Right beside me just off Queen St. is the Fat Camel Hostel which is good. Base will be a little more expensive, but expect to pay $30ish per night for a 6-8 bed dorm. Private rooms are around $70 per night.

Hope this info helps,

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Thank you very much keaneray, that was very helpful. I have five years of civil engineering experience so hopefully I'l get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Thank you very much keaneray, that was very helpful. I have five years of civil engineering experience so hopefully I'l get something.

Anyone can get a job here. As whatever they want it would seem.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/dhb-review-drug-smuggler-got-employed-3812782

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11282569

If you are only here for afew months you should apply for a job as Minister for Finance or something.

Some fantastic advice from keaneray there.
    On the accomodation - check out trade me for house shares as you can easily pick up a room for 100-150 dollars a week. Will suit for someone only here short term. www.gumtree.co.nz also has a short term section.

I found hostelworld.com to be a great site for honest reviews. Stayed at Lantana lodge in Parnell myself. They will do a deal for people staying more than the norm so email them direct and you wont have to pay the 10% booking fee.

If you are on a WHV it can be very hard to find work straight away. I only look for contract/temp work on seek or trademe. The average amongst people i know is 1 - 2 months of looking before getting something. 2 weeks of that will be waiting for your tax number though. My best advice is to look at the agencies. Randstad, Madison, Velocity, NZstaff, Hudson are some of the good ones. They all do pc tests so brush up on your word and excel 2002 and get your typing speed up.

If you can, get written references on headed notepaper or an email address for your referees as, with a 12 hour time difference, they wont be calling them to speak to them.

If you have forklift experience, a one day course will get you your license and theres always work in South Auckland.

Bank accounts are easy. Your hostel will give you a letter saying you are staying there. Take it to the bank with your passport and driving license and you will have your card that day. Then change your address when you get something else. Same for your tax number but you can collect it from the hostel or phone after 10 days.

Transport is great in the areas keaneray mentioned but pretty crap elsewhere. maxx.co.nz is the transport site so research whats available before settling in a spot.

Anything else, let me know!

• Advertisement
Advertisement