Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken course?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there would know of any chicken course being run anywhere? - either a day or night one? (there was to be one in douglas comm school but it was cancelled due to lack of interest :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Go to this site www.irishfowl.com and ask the question there.

Sorry Boards.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Guill wrote: »
    Sorry Boards.....

That was a fowl thing to do :pac:

I had to pluck up the corage to post it, i was afraid of falling fowl of the mods...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

heidimax wrote: »
    Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there would know of any chicken course being run anywhere? - either a day or night one? (there was to be one in douglas comm school but it was cancelled due to lack of interest :(

Thanks

what kind of course are you thinking of doing

• Registered Users Posts: 18 heidimax

Yes thanks, will post on irish fowl.ie too. Am looking to do just a general course to cover for example : legalities, diseases, vaccination, chicken varieties, hatching under broody hens etc etc. - i have read books but not knowing anybody really who keeps chickens i thought it might be good to do a general course and get a few hints!!:D

• Advertisement

There are replies on your post in irish fowl.com. Hunter Lodge is a good bet, she runs the course every now and then, but keeping chickens is not rocket science so dont be afraid to get a book and dive in.

Hiya, it's just i have lots of questions i cannot seem to get answers for! For example two of my chickens have been vaccinated, i subsequently got two more from an organic farm who do not use vaccinations - and i have been told that if any of the vaccines were live that the new birds could catch the diseases???!!!! I have looked up the internet to no avail and my vet doesn't have enough experience in chickens. Anyways somebody on irish fowl recommeded a book so i'm off to get that now!!! Thanks again

Hi,

How old are the vaccinated chickens? If they are older than 6 weeks you will certainly be okay. Those chickens would have been vaccinated in a large hatchery (prob while in the egg) but unfortunatly the vaccines are too expensive for the small breeders. (you have to buy a huge amount that will do about 5000 chickens). I have had vacinated and unvaccinated poultry in the past with no issue whatsoever. I now breed them myself and there are two trains of thought regarding the vaccines, 1 is that it should be made readily available to small breeders, the other is that the birds shoul be allowed to naturally develop immunity (which would take a long, long time).

Hiya, that's great - thanks - puts my mind at rest! All my vaccinated chickens are older than 17 weeks at this stage. Thankfully the entire brood (the three youngest ranging from 6 to 10 weeks when i got them and were unvaccinated) are doing great and growing like mad - just had an eye infection with one but that was as bad as it got thankfully:)

Advertisement