Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational Therapy Assistant - does this position exist??

Options
  • 28-09-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I recently discovered that Portobello College offer a course of training in OT Assistant. However, I've been looking into the job market and haven't found any positions in existance in Ireland - just a few references to UK jobs.

So, my question is: does the job actually exist in Irish hospitals?
    Is anyone out there working as an OT Assistant and if so, are there positions available and what qualification do you have?

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The position does exist, although there are very few OT assistants in employment. A small number of OTA's are working in Irish hospitals, some of these would be multi therapy assistants, as in they'd also be working as Physio assistants and maybe health care assistants at the same time. I know that with PTA's there are a fair few of them working in the community so I assume there would be OTA's in the community too.

At the moment you are not required to have a qualification to work as an OTA in a hospital, although, it is anticipated that the FETAC course will become a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Think they are more common in the UK. Having said that I have yet to hear of one who purely assists the OT(not saying they don't exist, just haven't met any). Any I have come into contact with assist the Physios, SLTs, OTs etc.

Advertisement