Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinoa - what do I do with it?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope that this is the right forum, mods please feel free to move if applicable. I have managed to get quinoa flakes and the other stuff (shows how much I know about it), however I do not have a clue what to do with it...how do I cook it for one. Would be greatful for any suggestions - thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

this page should help

:D
    http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Add it to water flavoured with a stock cube or some spice (tumeric for example). Simmer until soft, then drain. Two useful recipes at the British Larder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I just saw this http://honestfare.com/quinoa-pudding/
    looks yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Quinoa on its own is very bland but I like to eat it mixed up with a curry, so it soaks up all the flavours - the same way rice would really.

To cook it, soak it in cold water for about 10 mins then drain. Cook it in twice its volume of boiling water for about 15 mins and it will be soft and tender. To eat it own use some stock or spices in the cooking water to give it a bit more flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I mixed it in with a tomato based recipe and had it with salmon, it is quite bland, even with plenty of seasoning and herbs in the sauce. To be honest, I don't really see why anyone would use it in place of rice or cous cous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I mixed it in with a tomato based recipe and had it with salmon, it is quite bland, even with plenty of seasoning and herbs in the sauce. To be honest, I don't really see why anyone would use it in place of rice or cous cous.
    It is supposedly a good source of iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I found a recipe online ages ago for a simple Quinoa salad, havnt tried it yet. but it sounds nice and tasty

1 cup Quinoa
    2 cups (440ml) water
    1 veg stock cube
    1 pepper
    2 small chilli peppers
    1 garlic clove
    oil (whichever you use yourself)
    and parsley

Dressing:
    2 -3 tbsp lemon juice
    2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    dash of soy sauce

Just cook the quinoa with the water and stock cube, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. then leave to rest for 5 minutes.

then you just saute the veg with the oil and mix together. salt and pepper it to your own taste and add dressing

Also have a recipe for Quinoa, green peas, and chorizo...

1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves of garlic, chopped
    60g chorizo
    1tsp oil
    1 cup of quinoa
    2 cups of water
    1 cup of peas
    1/2 tsp of salt and pepper
    and a mixture of thyme, rosemary, and oregano.

Saute onion,garlic and chorizo with the oil in a pot until onions are soft and chorizo is crispy.
    add quinoa to pot and saute for a minute until its browned.
    add water and bring to the boil, leave to simmer and add salt, pepper, herbs, and peas. Place lid on and leave to cook for 10-12mins or until the water is gone and quinoa is soft.

Hope these are of any use to you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I have it for breakfast. Usual with natural yogurt, sunflower seeds and blueberries or seedless grapes, all mixed with (cooked) quinoa. It keeps me full for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

qwert2 wrote: »
    I have it for breakfast. Usual with natural yogurt, sunflower seeds and blueberries or seedless grapes, all mixed with (cooked) quinoa. It keeps me full for ages.

hot or cold?

Advertisement