Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrican and Insurance?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the situation would be in relation to hiring an Electrician and insurance? I'm trying to get my own for my house, but the upstairs front windows are boarded up due to vandalism and I'm not sure if an Insurance company will take it on. I want to hire an Electrican to start my rennovation but as the house may not be insured during his work I'm wonder what the situation would be in the event of an accident?. Will an Electrican have his own insurance or do I need my own?.
    Danke
    F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You should score better in electrical...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Freiheit wrote: »
    Just wondering what the situation would be in relation to hiring an Electrician and insurance? I'm trying to get my own for my house, but the upstairs front windows are boarded up due to vandalism and I'm not sure if an Insurance company will take it on. I want to hire an Electrican to start my rennovation but as the house may not be insured during his work I'm wonder what the situation would be in the event of an accident?. Will an Electrican have his own insurance or do I need my own?.
    Danke
    F

A properly registerd tradesperson (electrician, plumber etc) should have public liabilty insurance.
    This would cover his work and usually him/her and their staff working on any site or house.

Should a problem arise with their works you could claim of them however if something was to occur to them they could try and counter claim against you, thats when you would need insurance.
    This is unlikely to happen but Insurance companies will try and blame or pass on liabilty to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree.a registered electrical contractor will have his own insurance
    check out links below to find one
    http://reci.ie/ConsumerServices/Findanelectrician/tabid/57/Default.aspx
    http://www.ecssa.ie/find_contractor.html

Advertisement