Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New or second hand mitre saw

• 28-09-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey folks in looking for a Dewalt mitre saw and stand. The chopsaw needs to be 110v and have a sliding arm for large cuts.

Ive seen a few around and the price for the two im interested in is between 800 1100 euro, Now thats a bit steep at the moment with how tight things are.

I have used many types of mitre saws before and this is IMO the best set up around. I love using them and they are easily transported and set up etc.

Now my question is is there anywhere i can buy them cheaper in Ireland or up north(I dont like feeding the uk taxman but im left with no choice heremad.gif)

Also if not is there any place that might have them second hand.

Im in Dublin myself but wouldnt mind traveling a bit if theres a bargain about. Also dont mind paying for a courier if needs be.

All help greatly appreciated, Thankswink.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

cash connectors in cork city always have a few of them floating around

but you can buy brand new ones from the states for less then half the price you'd buy one here for

i'll pm you a few links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 paul.

cash connectors in cork city always have a few of them floating around

but you can buy brand new ones from the states for less then half the price you'd buy one here for

i'll pm you a few links
    Cheers mate, whats the crack with tax on unused tools and the likes.

i buddy bought 2 paslode nailguns
    a dewalt (i think) 18v cordless
    and skilsaw about 3 years ago
    cost here about €2000
    he paid €1100 and at customs he had to pay something like €50
    so still a saving of 45%

apparently they're fairly lenient now in regards to importing tools
    so it's well worth a go
    if i had a job i'd be buy off them every week :D

cheers mate i shall give them a go. Where do ye have to pay the customs on it?

i'm not sure fromwhat i remember you can collect it in the customs place in dublin and pay there in cash
    but i think he mentioned something to do with a bank draft or something along those lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It depends on how its declared on the box as to if / how you are charged by customs

P.S, they will charge you the Irish VAT rate on the cash that you have paid out for the tools, they'll ask for your receipts for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

i know a guy in westport that used to import from usa could still have a few. bought a new one from ace fixings a few years ago a good bit cheaper than in da shops

OK i checked out that american link and they are very cheap, only catch is shipping is 300dollars which brings it in cheaper than the bought in Ireland one but not by much:( The ace tools link sells ryobi and makita but no Dewalt so back to square 1. I pressume id also have to pay the 21% vat on top of the shipping etc so its not worth the effort.

Appreciate the help all the same lads.

Any body got some other links.

One Here

May be over you're price range, but still worth it at that price tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

These guys are pretty good for tools, what size blade do you need?
    I have the old model 718 305mm and it has proved very useful for larger cuts 4x4 and the like.
    This one is pretty good value, But budget for a stand as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

can fully recommend lawson-his.co.uk

Link http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=10%22%20%28250-260mm%29%20Sliding%20Mitre%20Saws

No connection, just got a great deal on a saw here and good service all round. Cheap postage too and you can email the guys and they will give you a price and what you want.

Have the makita 12" sliding , great machine...

They have specials every so often, might be worth waiting for..

12" Dewalt with Stand is £725 delivered incl vat.

I havnt had any luck yet so does anybody have an educated opinion on a decent, reliable, sturdy and most importantly accurate 310mm sliding compound saw, remembering that im a carpenter by trade so it will be used everyday. Cheers for the feedback so far its been very helpfull

paul. wrote: »
    I havnt had any luck yet so does anybody have an educated opinion on a decent, reliable, sturdy and most importantly accurate 310mm sliding compound saw, remembering that im a carpenter by trade so it will be used everyday. Cheers for the feedback so far its been very helpfull

If you're a carpenter using it every day, then a dewalt is what you need. Anything cheaper or of a lesser brand quality is likely to give problems with the amount of use you will give it. It may be expensive, but will save you in the long run.
    Are you VAT registered?

I have a draper one myself, cost me €200. Its fine, but I don't use it that much.

Makita LS1013 Sliding compound mitre saw is an excellent tool, but they don't have the same sort of table that the Dewalt has, I believe

not vat registered as im just starting up

Advertisement