Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scooter/125 newb

• 28-09-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

All,

I'm 28 and have some experience of driving scooters on holidays but that's it. I do not have a full driving license, just an expired provisional which I am going to get renewed in the next week or so.

I want to buy a scooter/125 bike and I would like some advice/answers.

1) Where should I buy my bike? budget around 1k-1.5k
    2) Once I get my provisional license can I go on the road straight away? My intention is to get lessons as soon as I purchase but is it legal for me to travel to the driving school for example?
    3) How much will insurance set me back and where can I get it? 28 year old male, no previous car or bike insurance.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mul75

Hi

In response to your queries:

a) I have a scooter for sale on adverts.ie, if you're interested? We can haggle on the price, if it's out of your range.
    Here's the ad - http://www.adverts.ie/286145/motorbikes/honda-pantheon-fes-125cc-scooter/.
    It has a 4-stroke engine, so you wont burn it out if you take it on a dual carraigeway or motorway.
    The bike is in great condition and has served me really well over the years but we have 2 cars now, so it has been used less and less.

b) The quick answer is yes but this page will give you the information you're looking for: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_motorcycles_in_ireland. Basically, you're allowed to drive anything up to 124.9999999cc with a provisional license but you should really wear a high vis vest with the L plate on it. That, I'll leave up to yourself :). You wont need many lessons to pass the test and it has to be said, driving a 125cc scooter is very easy and they have enough power for city and even a fair bit of motorway driving if you need it.

c) I reckon insurance will cost you approx €700/year. Try Aon or Axa for a quote. They're pretty much the only insurers that will do bikes in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Mul75 wrote: »
    Hi

In response to your queries:

a) I have a scooter for sale on adverts.ie, if you're interested? We can haggle on the price, if it's out of your range.
    Here's the ad - http://www.adverts.ie/286145/motorbikes/honda-pantheon-fes-125cc-scooter/.
    It has a 4-stroke engine, so you wont burn it out if you take it on a dual carraigeway or motorway.
    The bike is in great condition and has served me really well over the years but we have 2 cars now, so it has been used less and less.

b) The quick answer is yes but this page will give you the information you're looking for: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_motorcycles_in_ireland. Basically, you're allowed to drive anything up to 124.9999999cc with a provisional license but you should really wear a high vis vest with the L plate on it. That, I'll leave up to yourself :). You wont need many lessons to pass the test and it has to be said, driving a 125cc scooter is very easy and they have enough power for city and even a fair bit of motorway driving if you need it.

c) I reckon insurance will cost you approx €700/year. Try Aon or Axa for a quote. They're pretty much the only insurers that will do bikes in Ireland.

If you are going to come along to give out advice try and make sure that the information is correct :rolleyes:

A) Stop Shilling

B) Get yourself an A learner permit, not an A1 learner permit. The A1 will limit you to less than 125cc. The A permit will allow you to drive bigger bikes once they are under the correct power to weight ratio. Search the forum for more information on this.

C) 4 insurance companies at the moment. They are
    Quinn - HERE,
    AON Bikecare - HERE,
    Adelaide - HERE
    Carol Nash - HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 34 troubledagain

Hi guys, can you tell me how long can you hold a provisional bike licence for before applying for test?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Hi guys, can you tell me how long can you hold a provisional bike licence for before applying for test?

You must have your learners permit for 6 months prior to taking your test, not applying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 troubledagain

I have mine for two years without doing test, do they expire because I thought I heard something about 3 years???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I have mine for two years without doing test, do they expire because I thought I heard something about 3 years???

The expiration date is on your permit. I think they are only valid for 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

KamiKazi wrote: »
    You must have your learners permit for 6 months prior to taking your test, not applying for it.

I was one of the earlier people who got a Learner's Permit and wrongly applied for the driving test straight away. They accepted my application but I quickly realised my mistake and postponed the test until after the six months. I got my test date for the 7th month.

Advertisement