Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card refund.

Options
  • 28-09-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All,

Basically i bought some goods on a Halifax C-Card. Halifax bailed so I closed account. Now have BOI C-Card. Then I decided I did not want my previously purchased goods and decided to try get refund to BOI card.

Company in question are saying i have to forefeit my purchase/refund as they cannot return to any other card than Halifax one.

I understand a refund must be made in the way goods were purchased. Eventhough they are both mastercard BUT numbers/ banks different can this still not be done??

Can anybody tell me what my options are......

Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As best I understand it, the credit facility is extended by the issuing bank and not by Mastercard. Mastercard simply provide the technology through which to access your credit facility.

Since you have closed the credit facility with Halifax, then they are for all intents and purposes two distinct accounts and there is no way to refund to your other account since the credit for the original purchases was not provided by your current bank.

Can the company not refund you the cash, minus any handling fees (they're charged for the card payment)? If it is a matter that you've decided that you simply no longer want the goods, the retailer's decision is final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

It might be worth your while contacting halifax to see whether they will accept the refund, and forward it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 high beam

I thought refund had to be to same method of payment i.e. credit card??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

Can you tell me why you are seeking a refund on the goods? If it is for a genuine reason (i.e. defective) then you have to be redunded. For the ease, this is usually via the method of payment. However, they should refund in another manner if that is not an option.

if however, you are getting a refund because of a change of mind etc, then it could be a different story.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Hi

I may be wrong as its been years since I worked in Halifax and things may have changed since the closure but as far as I recall, if a charge came in on a closed CC a/c, Halifax should have the forwarding bank CC details (so long as you supplied them when you switched) so they would then just automatically forward the charge on to BOI to be applied to your new account. This should be the same with refunds.

Might be a bit more difficult if you switched yourself (ie did not supply Halifax with any forwarding details) but if it comes down to forfeiting the refund and having it returned to your Halifax CC, I'd have it returned to the Halifax card. You can still ring the Halifax customer care number. I think you'll be transferred to their English offices but they should be able to help you.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 high beam

Ok excellent....il try and get in contact with Halifax and give them my new details...hope its not too late! Thanks Batgurl!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

high beam wrote: »
    I thought refund had to be to same method of payment i.e. credit card??
    There's no reason why it has to be. I've had retailers in the past ask me if I want the money put back on the card or a cash refund. I just imagine that any processing fees may be refunded if the retailer does a refund, so that would be their preferred method. There's also less chance of them being defrauded by someone looking for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

seamus wrote: »
    There's no reason why it has to be. I've had retailers in the past ask me if I want the money put back on the card or a cash refund. I just imagine that any processing fees may be refunded if the retailer does a refund, so that would be their preferred method. There's also less chance of them being defrauded by someone looking for cash.

VISA & Mastercard insist on refunds been made to the original card. And not only do they not refund the original merchant fee's they charge for the refund as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes, I got into trouble for refunding onto a wife's card instead of a husbands card by VISA before, it has to be the same card. It was a bank issue rather than a store policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

This is from the Halifax/BOSI website.
    I have a credit balance on my Halifax Credit Card, how can I access my funds?
    If you have a credit balance on your account, please call us on 1890 882700 and we can arrange for your funds to be sent to your current account electronically. Please have your bank account and sort code details available when you call us.

Best thing to do is contact Halifax first and make sure if the account is still there. If it is can they facilitate you with the refund. You dont want the retailer to send the refund as it may end up in limbo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement