Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ipad - Kindle advice....

• 28-09-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Technology not my strong point but have seen the new device for reading books seem to have taken off.

I heard the ipad thing is hard on the eyes.

I heard the kindle thing doesnt have a light.

whats the story with memory?

is there new ones planned soon that I should wait and buy instead?

Any general advice around this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You ask on a big topic but I'll take a stab at trying to help.

The first thing is, you should KNOW EXACTLY, is what your buying your device for!
    Are you interested in surfing AND reading to a great deal - as well as other abilities? If so, the Ipad might be your best option.

If you just want to do a lot of reading and light web surfing on standard news/text, simple graphic based sites (non-flash ones) then the Kindle is the way to go.
    (The Kindles 3G service is free for surfing)

The Ipad is a lot dearer and had pro's and cons.
    The Kindle is cheaper and it too does have pro's and cons.
    There are a number of threads on boards.ie about those pro's/cons alone.

I have read from a number of sites that its slightly harder to read books, etc on the Ipad, than from the Kindle (model 3) BUT its entirely possible to read on it anyway under standard conditions.

If a light is needed for the Kindle (I own one myself) I can utterly recommend "Mighty Bright" - again, I own one (see HERE).
    They can be found on Ebay and all over the internet. The slightly longer reach of the extending arm makes a big difference (bends a lot more to suit). Its strong and sturdy than more similar lights too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Gonna sound really stupid now but I thought they were just for readin books had no idea there was internet capabilities.

it'd be handy for checkin email, facebook, boards of course:D, etc..

From what your saying I think I'd sway towards the Kindle but also have a lot more research to do by the sounds of things. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Kindle has basic net ability (wireless/3G) as well as being able to play sound via speakers on the back of it or by headphones plugged in at the bottom.
    Besides the books, the daily newspapers and magazines you can buy for it, the Kindle has also the ability to read books/material to you (if the creator has allowed that ability to be used for their particular item).

Go to www.Amazon.com and look up the details there on it.
    (This is the Wi-fi one: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P3M/ref=amb_link_353643142_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0S5TPM2H6KZDBAR9D6B4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1274852602&pf_rd_i=507846)

Be aware also that the Kindle (if its mostly reading you want to do) has more book formats that it will recognise than the Ipad.

I can recommend this site for any other worries you might have: http://mykindle.myfastforum.org/index.php?sid=40cc319cd73eab43f6a36734ecb668a3

Advertisement