Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering dogs

Options
  • 28-09-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with fostering dogs? This is something I would love to do as I have a large secure back garden and love animals.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hi Ana Maria,

I got my first foster dog from dogs in distress on Sunday and all is going great!! they are always looking for good foster homes for dogs that might otherwise be in the pound :eek:

There is plenty of info on their website about fostering if you have a look. Photo of my foster son Jake :-)

ps.... Im based in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi OP,

what county/city are you in? Dogs in Distress wont let you foster unless you live near Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Go onto petsireland site :) lots of rescues really in need of fosters,Im one myself xxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

All the rescues around the country need foster homes, it can be very rewarding, but also sad when they move on. There are a lot of failed fosterers, (where the dog never leaves) hence the shortage of foster homes:D

Talk to the rescue that you'd like to foster for, see what they provide in the way of support, if they pay for the food, cover vets fees etc, and what if the dog doesn't get on with your own (if you have one) or turns out to have serious issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I just recently stopped fostering for a rescue (due to adopting my most recent foster - I never thought I would be a failed fosterer!), I have been doing it for nearly 3 years and loved every minute of it. It is A LOT of work - I have had dogs of all ages through my door and they all had their quirks.

Behavioural problems are very prevalent - chewing is very common (so be prepared - skirting boards, table and chair legs, laundry... if it stands still too long it may get chewed!), knocking over the bin, clashes between resident and new dogs, fussy eaters, peeing/pooing all over the house, resource guarding, lead aggression, barking at all hours of the day and night and the list goes on... and each problem in each dog has to be dealt with differently.

The other thing to be very aware of is that most dogs going into foster will have come out of a pound and will have picked up things along the way, illness is par for the course in fostering (for both the foster and resident dogs). Trips to the vet, loads of medication (and not all dogs will take pills or liquids easily!), paying for treatment for your own dogs if they get anything from the foster (kennel cough comes to mind) and constantly keeping an eye out for any sickness (rescue dogs can have very low immune systems, for several reasons, and pick up everything going).

Also, be prepared for long term. Some dogs take longer to home than others and if you have a dog that nobody wants to home immediately you will need to keep it for as long as needed.

As ISDW said, talk to the rescue before you take a dog on about the ways they will support you (vet costs, bedding, food, panic phone calls in the middle of the night etc.) and what is on your shoulders. No matter how much costs the rescue cover, you will end up putting some money into dogs that you foster (I know I did, and anyone I have ever talked to about fostering did) so be aware of this. The rescue cannot guarantee that the new dog coming into your house does not have behavioural problems or underlying medical conditions (within reason of course), so lots of unexpected things can crop up.

I adored fostering, and would do it all again in a heartbeat if I didn't have a full house, and I will definitely do it again in the future. It is a wonderful feeling to know that a dog came to you in an awful state (both physically and emotionally) and they leave happy and content and go to a good home. There are both laughs and tears but it's great to make such a difference in little lives.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

You can also temp for the guide dogs for the blind who are always looking for holiday homes for their pups.

Otherwise I would highly recommend Animal Rescue Ireland, contacts on www.irishanimals.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

I currently have a foster doggie with me from Dogs in Distress and he has been with me since July so I fully agree with the above statement that you have to be prepared for the fact that some can take longer to home than others! I love having him and its such a rewarding thing to know that this little man is safe and loved with me until his very own forever family find him and fall in love! Having him these past few months means I am quite attached at this stage but the minute they come through my front door I love them as much as my own and it is heart breaking when they leave but its for the best every dog deserve their own forever family to love and adore them! I get great support from Dogs in Distress and they provide food and arranged his vet visits etc, also got a bed and collar/lead for him when he first came! Its an amazing , testing, hearbreaking, joyous rollarcoaster but would recommend it 100% to anyone who is a doggie person and has the time to this wonderful thing!!

Ps Im in Wicklow so not in Dublin and I know of other fosterers outside Dublin too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

DO IT! :D The most satisfying thing I have ever done! Wish I could continue doing it but unfortunately circumstances have changed and I cant anymore.

I took three in. A Staffie, a Springer Spaniel and a Mastiff Mix. All so so fabulous!! Should never have let the Saffie go, I think she was my soulmate, she is off in Sweden now hopefully living it up. I keep in touch with the families who adopted the other two and they are getting on great. I have helped save three lives and because of that, three families now have fantastic little characters forever.

I fostered for Dogs in Distress. They are fantastic and work so hard and would really appreciate more fosters on board. A great bunch to deal with, Give them a call!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys. I am based in Wexford so I have rung my local rescue service. I'm really looking forward to it. I love animals and hate seeing them mistreated. I work from home and have my mornings to my self so while I am aware of how much time I will need to put into a foster dog, I have the flexibility to be able to to it. I don't have any other dogs, only cats. The cats are fine, one of them is a rescue cat I found abandoned in a car park last week. I don't think they'll be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Good for you.:DI foster for Kerry Greyhound Connections, which also has connections with Wexford. ;) I enjoy the fostering as it means I get to know a new dog every few weeks/months and when the dog heads off to its new home I take a little break and then start again. Hope you enjoy the fostering as much I and my OH do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement