Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Upgrading" Corsair power supplies

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This but if it were the paste or the cooler not making contact then the pipes wouldn't be hot. If it's a kink or the pump has failed then the water could be gently simmering in there. I'd suggest getting your hands on the stock cooler for LGA775 quads and try that.

Very good point actually. OP if you need i think i have a few 775 coolers sitting around in work, i can throw one in the post to you if you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Anti wrote: »
    Very good point actually. OP if you need i think i have a few 775 coolers sitting around in work, i can throw one in the post to you if you need?

Thanks for the offer! Will take it up. For the time being I've resorted to keeping the window open. The room is freezing and the cores are at a balmy 65 C when idle.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That's just nuts :eek:

EDIT - Just a guess, but... has the impeller given up the ghost? Whole system could be full of water but merrily boiling away to itself with no water movement!! :eek::o

Solitaire wrote: »
    That's just nuts :eek:

EDIT - Just a guess, but... has the impeller given up the ghost? Whole system could be full of water but merrily boiling away to itself with no water movement!! :eek::o

The little fan/pump on the chips itself is spinning. And one of the pipes is hotter than the other, which I'm presuming implies circulation.

Wrecking my head as to why it's running so hot

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Is the radiator itself hot?
    Which pipe is hotter than the other? If it's the one that's positioned higher up then it doesn't mean the pump is working as hot water rises to the top anyway.
    What I'd try next is the air cooler route as mentioned above, with some decent thermal paste.

• Advertisement

Ok, definitely something dodgy going on with the cooling. No pipes are hot anymore, and my GFX card is almost too hot to touch. Looks like a nightmare to take apart. Might draft TV into helping with it. For the time being going to use the PC as little as possible.

High temps and "too hot to touch" are normal for graphics cards :o:p They're certainly not normal or desirable for CPUs though!! :o

Hmm... There is one other unusual thing I've noticed.

The pump has three wires coming out of it: blue yellow and black. The blue wire connects to the mobo, but the yellow and black aren't connected to anything. They are dangling next to a chord from the PSU and the two connect. I haven't turned on the PC with them connected yet, but could that be the problem?

:eek:

The blue must be the PWM wire, most likely going to a controller or a PWM-enabled fan header on the mobo. The others are the Power and Ground lines - the pump can't be working without those!! :eek: In case a mobo fan header can't supply enough power for a fan or pump the cooler will only have the PWM wire going to mobo and the power couple will be split off to a Molex so you can plug them into the PSU directly to power it. If those lines and their terminal Molex connector isn't plugged into the PSU... again, just :eek::eek::eek:

Solitaire wrote: »
    :eek:

The blue must be the PWM wire, most likely going to a controller or a PWM-enabled fan header on the mobo. The others are the Power and Ground lines - the pump can't be working without those!! :eek: In case a mobo fan header can't supply enough power for a fan or pump the cooler will only have the PWM wire going to mobo and the power couple will be split off to a Molex so you can plug them into the PSU directly to power it. If those lines and their terminal Molex connector isn't plugged into the PSU... again, just :eek::eek::eek:

So can I plug them in? Will my computer blow up if I do. My tower is essentially in a fridge at the moment and, by extension, so am I.

• Advertisement

That's because you have no CPU cooler :p

I do recommend you keep a close eye and possibly some kitchen towels inside the rig when you "fix" it because if the WC loop is dodgy, powering up the pump could cause liquid to escape :eek: Its very suspicious that the rig didn't come with the pump plugged in as you would expect! :mad:

I've connected it and rebooted...

Core temp...... 35 C

I owe all of ye a big thanks. I would have rushed out and bought another PSU.
    Its very suspicious that the rig didn't come with the pump plugged in as you would expect!

The connection is very tentative. I'd say what happened is it came loose when I threw the tower into the back of a car picking it up after TouchingVirus fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'd say that might be it, I definitely plugged in everything I unplugged, especially the cooling system - I even know exactly what cable you're talking about :D

Delighted you got it sorted and it was something simple. Now Prime95 that badboy tonight and check for stability ;)

I'd say that might be it, I definitely plugged in everything I unplugged, especially the cooling system - I even know exactly what cable you're talking about :D

Delighted you got it sorted and it was something simple. Now Prime95 that badboy tonight and check for stability ;)

Will do. I still owe you several drinks.

Plus I actually learned stuff so I won't be completely clueless next time it goes tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Good job! That could have been fatal. B & U FTW.

Advertisement