Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No receipt - expired product

Options
  • 28-09-2010 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a packet of dried fruit from a well known shop the other day and I was reading the back of it today and noticed that the best by date was April 2010. The receipt is in the bin - what are my rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

rugbug86 wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought a packet of dried fruit from a well known shop the other day and I was reading the back of it today and noticed that the best by date was April 2010. The receipt is in the bin - what are my rights?

Replacement of product or refund of your money (because repair is not a realistic option). Lack of evidence that you purchased the goods at the shop recently could be a problem, but the retailer might not be too sticky about that. It's worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From the Safefood website
    It is okay to eat food after a ‘best before’ date but NEVER after a ‘use-by’ date.

Without a receipt, it will be hard to prove that you purchased the goods at that store, unless they are own-brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Oh I should have mentioned that - they are own brand fruit.

I know it's okay to eat them after "best before" but they're not tasty, whereas other dried fruit products I've eaten before have been. I put it down to a bad batch until I checked the date.

I might give them a call and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

rugbug86 wrote: »
    Oh I should have mentioned that - they are own brand fruit.

I know it's okay to eat them after "best before" but they're not tasty, whereas other dried fruit products I've eaten before have been. I put it down to a bad batch until I checked the date.

I might give them a call and see.

Just politely ask for a refund. You will probably get it. Dont shout, be polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I doubt it will be a problem as it is a small item. The odds are there are probably more out of date packson the shelf. Just be polite and you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

They probably will refund you if you are polite about it and so that they dont get any bad publicity about it but they are not obliged to as they have no idea when you bought the item, for all they know you bought it in March 2010 and stored it in a cupboard since then, without the receipt you have no proof of any different

Advertisement