Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parthenaise Cattle

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

No, dont have any experience of Parthenaise to be honest. Was even thinking of trying the bull Universal. He looks like a good bull.

It was more a case of, "Asking the barber, if you need a haircut ?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

UPCS wrote: »
    our cows are calving down with no bother every 10 to 11 months! :D

They sound like super cows! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UPCS

If you are happy with what you have got why change it! we have never used universal, so we cannot recommend but one bull we have used that has good results is sirex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

Only got to visit one farm last week ( for Pathenaise cattle)- with the weather turning :mad:I was held up hosing the cows etc. But what I did see on the farm I visited - was very nice cattle and they were very quiet too. The cows seem to have very lean muscle and have great length with health bags of milk ;)- I was looking at april calfed cows with calves at foot. The Pure bred Calves were very stylish & well muscled etc, but not excessively heavy live weights - approx 350-400kgs (bulls & heifiers) - then again the weren't geting any meal at all yet. A few pure cows were crossed to Limo bull - color may not be to everyone's taste - but they were crackers!!!! Will go look at a few more farms before committing at this this - but yes very incouraged?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Only got to visit one farm last week ( for Pathenaise cattle)- with the weather turning :mad:I was held up hosing the cows etc. But what I did see on the farm I visited - was very nice cattle and they were very quiet too. The cows seem to have very lean muscle and have great length with health bags of milk ;)- I was looking at april calfed cows with calves at foot. The Pure bred Calves were very stylish & well muscled etc, but not excessively heavy live weights - approx 350-400kgs (bulls & heifiers) - then again the weren't geting any meal at all yet. A few pure cows were crossed to Limo bull - color may not be to everyone's taste - but they were crackers!!!! Will go look at a few more farms before committing at this this - but yes very incouraged?????

ya the docility of them is very impressive or so i thought when i visited a farm like yourself

Yeah - some super looking cattle alright -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Just bought my first heifer by turbo.

Have you bought yet Pat the lad?

Best of luck with her Bogman bass. Is she a pure bred or cross bred?.Is she in calve? I have been busy these last few weeks, I haven't got to as many farms as I had hoped. Have one or two ear marked though. Again all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Pure bred. She was with the bull so hopefully she's in calf but if she is its a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Pure bred. She was with the bull so hopefully she's in calf but if she is its a bonus
    Best of luck with her bogman:)

hi vanderbager
    just wondering how the part bull went for you. what are the calves like? are you happy with them. what was he like for calving?

[Quote=leg wax;i kept the part heifers and served the first one this morning with sfl,

hi legwax.
    just wondering how your part x heifiers went. what are the calves like after the bb sfl? what colour did the calves come after bb. how are the heifers for milk? I take it the part heifers are lim/blonde crosses?.

Just from looking at the figures on
    http://www.icbf.ie/taurus/bull_search/index.php?ani_id=542026998

Sirex (IRX) does seem to be a lot better bull than SANSONNET (SNX).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

hi vanderbager
    just wondering how the part bull went for you. what are the calves like? are you happy with them. what was he like for calving?

ya good enough, should be selling a few weanlings off him next week so will see how i go, he has bred nice cattle, easy calver, 3 first timers have calved to him in last few weeks, all calved no problems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

ya good enough, should be selling a few weanlings off him next week so will see how i go, he has bred nice cattle, easy calver, 3 first timers have calved to him in last few weeks, all calved no problems

How are they for puttin on weight? I've been told they hard to fatten...

Advertisement