Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Castle Deer

• 28-09-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Took a quick trip down and around the grounds, heres what i found, they wont bear up to closi scrutiny but any c&c you have would be nice.....

attachment.php?attachmentid=129171&d=1285683928

attachment.php?attachmentid=129172&d=1285683933

attachment.php?attachmentid=129173&d=1285683940

attachment.php?attachmentid=129174&d=1285683945

attachment.php?attachmentid=129175&d=1285684036

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Nice set of pics old perry,try and get the pics in the thread instead of links,you will get a better reponse.
    What camera you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Did you use a high pass filter on these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Lovely photos, My favourite is #3 as to me it stands out with more vivid colours and is warmer giving a nicer feel. I think it is also the best exposed image as the first and second are a little too grey in the whites (recovered too much I am guessing)
    They are lovely shots, thanks for sharing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

They are Sikka Deer, very inquisitive but very nervous Nice shots, you had decent light, especially No3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

mehfesto wrote: »
    Did you use a high pass filter on these?

No have no filters at the moment, was lookin into gettin one for landscape shots but dont really know enough about them yet.

• Advertisement

stabo wrote: »
    Nice set of pics old perry,try and get the pics in the thread instead of links,you will get a better reponse.
    What camera you using?

Was wondering how to do that? how did sNarah do it, do pics have to be available online?

Lovely photos, My favourite is #3 as to me it stands out with more vivid colours and is warmer giving a nicer feel. I think it is also the best exposed image as the first and second are a little too grey in the whites (recovered too much I am guessing)
    They are lovely shots, thanks for sharing :)

& Steelydan9-They are Sikka Deer, very inquisitive but very nervous Nice shots, you had decent light, especially No3

Was pleased with them as i only popped in for a while and hadnt expected to get much, it was gettin dark at that stage , in the initial pics the detail on the deer is quite dark so the light in these pictures is a result of some very dodgy ajustments in levels.

Shot with a nikon d5000 and 70-300mm lense.

Thanks for the replies guys.:)

Went back out , managed to get a few processed let me know what ya think any c&c's welcome, for some reason photoshop resized them funny on me but any ways here goes,

130268.jpg

130269.jpg

130270.jpg

130271.jpg
    Went a bit awall with burn tool there

130272.jpg
    Bambi moment

130274.jpg
    Was tryin to keep ahead of them for ages, guess he got pissed off and decided to make a run for it.

130275.jpg

130276.jpg
    Had never tried pano before so took a 4 shots quickly on the way out and gave it a go on cs3

130277.jpg
    Shouldv put more effort into taken this shot, full size its fairly blurred.

Thanks for lookin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I love 2 & 3 of your second batch, and the running deer in the third. I think they are really good. Thank you!

I cant resist asking - have adobe come up with a deer/rabbit transform tool? ;)

- FoxT

• Advertisement

FoxT wrote: »
    I love 2 & 3 of your second batch, and the running deer in the third. I think they are really good. Thank you!

I cant resist asking - have adobe come up with a deer/rabbit transform tool? ;)

- FoxT

Yeah photoshop motion is great like that, and i couldn resist i found two of them messin about in small grassy area surrounded by trees hence the reason its really badly lit, think their tackling deer to elephants for cs6 might take a trip to pheniox park for that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

I never comment on C&C as I'm not comfortable directing others when I feel I'm still learning myself! However, i'll give it a go anyways ....

The first few look a little blown out - not sure if this is something you've done it PP but they have that slightly overexposed washed out grey look which I'm so good at getting with my Nikon. If you want to continue to shoot in aperture mode as you have done (rather then manual) try tweeking the exposure compensation on the camera maybe -0.3 or -0.7. It's often easier to recover dark bits in PP then blown highlights. Also no harm putting the picture review in highlights mode ("the blinky mode") so you can see if this is what's happening while your shooting. (for me the +-ev button is a life saver)

A tip I picked up on is that when shooting wildlife you should always leave space in front of the animal so it has some where to go or somewhere to look. This is especially true for things on the move. Other wise your WILD life looks caged and confined. Once you aware of this technique you see it every where in other peoples work and it will strike you as obvious and effective.

Other then that you've got some nice pictures and great subjects there I like the third one of your first set and the first one of the second set best. The second one in the second set looks like a great photo op but i'm not sure what happened ? His back looks blue? :confused:

I hope your enjoying your D5000 - 300 actuations so far eh? - Having fun yet ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I réally like the first one you put up from the second set (the 2 ones next to eachother), lovely faded background, soft colours and a great dopey expression on the fella's. Imo, the best one of them all.

Also, the 2 frontal ones of the the stag and female work really well from a documenting point of view, again, like the colouring in it, the darker tones suit.

And the bunny one is just gas!

Thanks for the comments guys,
    kdobey wrote: »
    I never comment on C&C as I'm not comfortable directing others when I feel I'm still learning myself! However, i'll give it a go anyways ....

The first few look a little blown out - not sure if this is something you've done it PP but they have that slightly overexposed washed out grey look which I'm so good at getting with my Nikon. If you want to continue to shoot in aperture mode as you have done (rather then manual) try tweeking the exposure compensation on the camera maybe -0.3 or -0.7. It's often easier to recover dark bits in PP then blown highlights. Also no harm putting the picture review in highlights mode ("the blinky mode") so you can see if this is what's happening while your shooting. (for me the +-ev button is a life saver)

A tip I picked up on is that when shooting wildlife you should always leave space in front of the animal so it has some where to go or somewhere to look. This is especially true for things on the move. Other wise your WILD life looks caged and confined. Once you aware of this technique you see it every where in other peoples work and it will strike you as obvious and effective.

Other then that you've got some nice pictures and great subjects there I like the third one of your first set and the first one of the second set best. The second one in the second set looks like a great photo op but i'm not sure what happened ? His back looks blue? :confused:

I hope your enjoying your D5000 - 300 actuations so far eh? - Having fun yet ? :)

Tbh the first set were taken in pretty bad light and the adjustments made on a mac so i might just give the originals a try again on photoshop. Ihave tried manual mode but as the light at that time of day was fading quickly and the deer a nearly always moving around the woodlands it seems easier to let the camera do the work.......

These guys are either keepin an eye on you or have there heads buried in the grass but i get what ya mean like try catch them unaware or at least looking unaware,i was afraid most of the shots were starting to look a bit portraity, i must try spend a day down there and catch them relaxing, have a fair few shots left so when taken a look at them will bear your advice in mind.

Thanks again people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Really like your pics, deer are difficult to photo. Lovely set , well done:D

ok heres the last few ive edited with previous coments in mind.
    131525.jpg
    131526.jpg
    131527.jpg
    131528.jpg
    131529.jpg

131530.jpg
    131531.jpg
    131532.jpg
    131533.jpg
    131534.jpg

131535.jpg
    131536.jpg
    131537.jpg
    131538.jpg
    15.this would be my favorite
    131539.jpg

C&C welcome. Thanks for lookin...

Thoughts, comments, criticisms anyone?...................

Advertisement