Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterproof road cycling gear

• 28-09-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭

As the summer glow fades and the stark reality of Irish weather starts to sink in, the once enthusiastic sunshine commuters start to have second thoughts and the safe, warm gas-guzzler beckons...

For the rest of us, we need recommendations on waterproof clothing. Preferably stuff that works (while not making you look like too much of a spanner ;))

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I usually dont bother with wet gear, because there's always a part of you that still gets wet... for me it's plastic bags under over shoes and wind proof jacket when it's cold enough. I've yet to find a rain jacket that's not too dear and that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

What Caroline said. Waterproof gear just doesn't work so well for cyclists.

When the weather closes in for me I wear leggings, a long sleeved shirt, a nice warm cycling jumper annnnd gloves. The only thing I've always wanted to add but never gotten around to it is overshoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I have the Wiggle eVent waterproof jacket that Blorg has and it works fine. I've been on plenty of spins where people with wind/water resistant jackets want to turn back earlier than I do, due to being soaked to the bone and cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

If you're just talking about commuting, then I guess the best thing is to have a complete change of clothes wherever you're headed.

As for what to wear, it's really more about keeping your temperature regulated than staying dry, as it is really, really hard to stay dry while riding.

Full mudguards will make a huge difference too, a lot of times it's more the spray from your own wheels that soak you more than anything else.

I use Sealskins knee length socks... incredibly cosy
    Long sleeve merino base layer, about €30 on chain reaction
    Decent raincoat, I've splashed out on a Mavic jacket and it's the first in years that actually keep the rain out for any length of time (btw I was a bike messenger for 13 years, so I know rain).
    I also have some Endura waterproof 3/4 shorts, combined with the knee length socks the cover the whole leg and mean you don't get too warm.

Just my own personal preferences, it's taken years to find what works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

dubmess wrote: »
    Full mudguards will make a huge difference too, a lot of times it's more the spray from your own wheels that soak you more than anything else.

Definitely. Furthermore, if you can bear the sight of them, mudflaps are an invaluable addition. Help you keep your drivetrain much cleaner, as well as the cables on the downtube, your shoes, and your trousers. I was surprised just how much a difference they make.

These are made from bits of Avonmore EasiPour jugs. Not pretty, I admit. The rear mudflap is for the benefit of my trailers rather than my clothes.

129191.jpg
    129192.jpg

I mostly followed the advice here:

http://www.phred.org/~alex/bikes/fendermudflap.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭EoghanConway

Thanks for the replies.

Personally, I don't have too far to travel so I think a decent waterproof jacket and pants would suffice for me (along with my goretex footwear).

Advertisement