Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA A+ Exam

Options
  • 28-09-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Hi, i plan on doing the A+ exam in the next two weeks. I have some questions regarding the exam:

1. Do you get 90mins for each exam, the Essentials and the practical?

2. I can't find much info on the practical exam. Is there actually any hands on work in this exam is it simply multiple choice questions on troubleshooting?

3. Are there any questions this year regarding Windows 7?

4. From the looks of the Pearson Vue and Prometric site, i can take this exam whenever i want. Do they not have specific dates for sitting certain exams, or is it simply book any date and time you like?

5. Is there any possibility of FAS paying for or contributing towards the exam fee? (i am self-studying)

I am sure i have plenty more questions but thats all i can think of right now. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

gnolan wrote: »
    2. I can't find much info on the practical exam. Is there actually any hands on work in this exam is it simply multiple choice questions on troubleshooting?
    That's a query I have too, is it all online multiple choice questions? Is there any practical element to the exam?
    4. From the looks of the Pearson Vue and Prometric site, i can take this exam whenever i want. Do they not have specific dates for sitting certain exams, or is it simply book any date and time you like?

To be honest I don't think it matters, once you book your exam with a particular exam centre that holds these kind of exams you be sorted.
    5. Is there any possibility of FAS paying for or contributing towards the exam fee? (i am self-studying)

I'm not sure, if you studied with FAS might contribute but whether you are self-studying or with FAS think you still have to pay the examination fee yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

bump

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

To the best of my knowledge
    1. Do you get 90mins for each exam, the Essentials and the practical?

90mins, 100 questions

Its all multiple choice, there is no practical element.
    3. Are there any questions this year regarding Windows 7?

Yes as far as I know it now includes questions on Windows 7

You can do it when and where you want.

Yes if you are receiving Social Welfare. Have a look at their blended learning course or online courses here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Yes if you are receiving Social Welfare. Have a look at their blended learning course or online courses here

Could you clarify this? I don't intend to do the course through FAS; i am studying it myself and have been the last few weeks - would i need to be doing the course through FAS in order to have the exam fee paid?

Can't find any info on exam fees for the A+ on that website or on the New Horizons website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭CompFix

Could you clarify this? I don't intend to do the course through FAS; i am studying it myself and have been the last few weeks - would i need to be doing the course through FAS in order to have the exam fee paid?

Can't find any info on exam fees for the A+ on that website or on the New Horizons website.

You need to register with Prometric first. Once on there, you can book an exam anywhere in Ireland and New Horizons is one of the test centres in Dublin.

I think you need to be sitting the course with FAS for them to pay for it. The exam fee for CompTIA exams tend to be quite price, I think it's around €220 for each of the 2 A+ exams.

• Advertisement

So basically there are two exams that has to be done for the compita a+ cert. Do you have to do the two exams on the same day or can you choose to have the exams on different days e.g. have 220-701 a day in one week and do the 220-702 another day in a different week?

So basically there are two exams that has to be done for the compita a+ cert. Do you have to do the two exams on the same day or can you choose to have the exams on different days e.g. have 220-701 a day in one week and do the 220-702 another day in a different week?

You can do them on the same day or you can spread them apart. There's a huge overlap in material between the 2 so if you're confident (and have the money) then I'd go for the 2 on the same day.

Is the passing grade very high for both exams? 75% for the first one and 78% for the second one is it or am I wrong?

Is the passing grade very high for both exams? 75% for the first one and 78% for the second one is it or am I wrong?

Yeah that's about right and you'll find that most certifications will have a passing grade in or around that mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Coming up to the exam just do loads of test exams as they will get you use to the way they are phrased.

Afaik it is an 80% pass in both and I think vista was only added to the latest exam.Just double check the exam objectives as there is no point in reading up on win7 if it aint on it

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/testprep/examobjectives.aspx

You have to register to download the objectives:mad:

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Advice please from someone who did it if possible.
    I am thinking of sitting in December. Self trained. Have been fiddling with em and fixing em for years (like a lot of people I suppose). I have a logical way of thinking and I also know some of the terminalogy at a glance but would need to learn a lot of what is there.
    From here to mid December, is it possible to get a good crack at the exam with about 6 - 10 hours work/ study of it a week?

Thanks
    irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 greatwall

Hi, i plan on doing the A+ exam in the next two weeks. I have some questions regarding the exam:

Comptia A+? i am working on it too . ye it is hard in searching for practical exam share you a site http://www.exampdf.com/comptia/a+/ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I just did my 701 exam last week and have the 702 exam in december

There is no questionsd on windows 7 if you do the exam before january , they arnt changing the sylybus until then.

If your self taught your gonna have a hard time doing the exam , the questions are very american-ized and you have to really think when u get a question as how an american would answer it.

If you lookup visual cert exam on google and download the software , you can take test exams , exams can be got from examcollection.com.

Advertisement