Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody etching pcbs at the moment?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Anybody know anywhere you can get single pcb boards made up? One sided. Having no luck finding somewhere in ireland. Even online Im having difficulty. The diy approach just isnt practical for the one job and also pretty expensive, so if anybody knows anywhere! Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

if its a simple enough pcb like it sounds, why not try it yourself, its simple and cheap!
    to etch a PCB, it is simply dipped in a tank of etching solution for x amount of time.

i used to do this long time ago, i made a couple of hundred PCBs. I made my own etching tank from glass and silicon sealant. if u are doing just a few u can just put the solution in a glass bowl, pop in your PCB and experiment with the timing required. it takes only a few minutes as i remember.

I think i got the etching solution for radionics or farnell.

if u need any further info on the process of PCB making ill be happy to help.

if u dont wana make your own ...

i used to work here, http://www.quaestor.ie/ we used to make custom PCBs
    but that was 15 years ago! maybe they still do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MulliganStew

Well - my general problem is - well. acid. So I guess questions from: whats the smallest amount of solution I could buy that would work - what safety stuff would I have to have, how do I store it, and then how the heck do i dispose of it? And is there a kind I wouldnt have to heat? If i went to the trouble of buying the stuff, Id guess id make maybe 5 small boards. And the etching tank - eh. I probably wouldnt be able to make mine!

The general theme of diy pcbs on the net is printing off boards using everyday printers and magazine/ or photo paper. Could this turn into a finicky trial and error thing?

Would you have a rough estimate cost wise assuming I have nothing to begin with.

Really appreciate your help. Thanks!

sounds like these pcbs are only really usefull to people who have the kit to make them. they wouldnt be cheap to get a company to make for you. also u would need a good grounding in electronics to tackle making them yourself tbh as u need to expose, etch, drill, sourse components, solder and test.

Advertisement