Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDip psychology advice

Options
  • 28-09-2010 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello,
    I am a recent graduate of music, with a first class honours. As art of my course I undertook modules in music therapy (which contained a placement with adults and children with developmental disabilities) I have also helped out at a special needs summer camp and have experience as a music teacher. I know though that I could see myself more in the role of a psychologist rather than a music therapist - for me music is something very personal and I do not necessarily want to use it as the primary resource for working with people.
    I have known for a while now that I want a career in psychology. I would love to do research into the cognitive processes of eating disorders and eventually to train as a clinical psychologist. I know that my first step is to take a HDip conversion course. I am going to apply for the psychology HDip in UCD, Trinity and UCC. The UCD course seems to me to be the most attractive and clearly laid out but I was wondering would anybody be able to advise me more about the individual features of the various HDip Psych courses (UCD, Trinity and UCC) I am also thinking of the UCD course because they have the clinical psychology doctorate there and also have connections with the Institute of Psychiatry in King's College London, where there is a specific research cluster relating to eating disorders. I have been looking at the Trinity course too, which looks possibly even more detailed than the UCD course (especially because they give more information about the specific modules) and I feel that there is quite a solid research cluster in neuroscience, which would be an interest of mine. However, the course is almost double the cost of the other HDip psychology courses, which would cause some financial concerns, although I do wish to do the best course (providing I have a choice!) I want to choose the best course, so that means I don't mind if the best course requires more work or if there are additional modules - i am willing to put as much work in as possible, especially as I intend going straight into a research PhD in psychology afterwards, and then training as a clinical psychologist.
    Any advice or information from someone studying on one of the HDip psychology courses or an undergraduate psychology student in any of the colleges would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

You will get a better response by posting in the psychology forum, it can be found under the science banner on the top of the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Amusicum

Thanks for that.

Advertisement