Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Too much chilli!

Options
  • 28-09-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

How do I counteract too much chilli? There are way too many weird ideas online like adding chocolate?

I'm making tomato soup and wanted a bit of a kick so put in half a red chill, I just tasted it and nearly burnt my mouth off. This is odd because I usually like chilli, but its waaay too hot now. What can I do?

Add another can of tomatoes? Add sugar? Tomato puree? I want to maintain the consistency I have it at if thats possible.

Please help, my dinner depends on you....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

natural yoghurt or creme fraiche ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Try coconut milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dilute it by adding more of the base ingredients like the tomatoes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Thank you!

Just back from buying a tub of natural youghurt.

Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Might try coconut milk the next time for a kind of thai soup. what a great idea.

One q though, what else can i use natural yoghurt for? apart from sun burn? The tub is massive and goes off after only 3 days. I presume adding to hot measls like curries etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yoghurt would be my play as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Ordinary auld milk will do the job as well and doesn't impact the base flavour very much at all.

Milk? Interesting.

I might try that the next time because I did find that the yogurt did change the flavour quite a bit. God, I'm useless in the kitchen!

Thanks.

Anyone have any tips on using the rest of the yoghurt? Aside from copious bowls of muesli?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone have any tips on using the rest of the yoghurt? Aside from copious bowls of muesli?
    Chop fruit up into it. Or put it in an icecube tray or those icecube bags. I keep frozen cubes of yogurt for making tandoori chicken, you mix in tandoori powder, yogurt, oil & lemon juice.

rubadub wrote: »
    Or put it in an icecube tray or those icecube bags.

You can do that?! The carton says it would "impair the flavour". ! I love creamy curries and tandoori is a personal favourite. That solves all my problems so! Thanks

:o
    God i must sound like such a cheapskate. Its honestly a really big carton...:o

You can do that?! The carton says it would "impair the flavour". !
    if you froze it and ate it plain it might be noticeable, but when cooked and with all the spices I cannot tell the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Make a garlic sauce out of it with crushed garlic and lemon juice, throw in a few herbs/spring onions if you want too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Chocolate does actually work! It won't take away the chilli but it will mellow it a little. I did similar with a curry once, ended up freezing it in ice cube bags and when i was cooking and needed a flavour boost i'd add a curry ice cube to the dish i was making.

shinikins wrote: »
    I did similar with a curry once, ended up freezing it in ice cube bags
    Best use the ice cube bags for stuff like curry, I would imagine if you froze it in the normal trays it would taint them and all your cold drinks would taste of curry!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Thank you!

Just back from buying a tub of natural youghurt.

Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Might try coconut milk the next time for a kind of thai soup. what a great idea.

One q though, what else can i use natural yoghurt for? apart from sun burn? The tub is massive and goes off after only 3 days. I presume adding to hot measls like curries etc?

Tsatsiki :

Cut half a cucumber lengthwise, scrape out seeds, then grate the cucumber. Sprinkle with salt, and let it sit for a few minutes, then squeeze as much liquid out as you can.
    Finely chop 1 or 2 cloves of garlic.
    Mix garlic and grated cucumber with the yogurt.

Makes a fantastic dip, I personally love it spread on hot pita bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Yoghurt,
    Fruit,
    bit of honey.
    Maybe an ice-cube or two

Blend.

Refreshing and Cooling drink to help it go down.

Advertisement