Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall - Sequel to The Strain

Options
  • 28-09-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read The Strain and bought the sequel The Fall?

It's just out and is from Guillermo Del Toro and written with Chuck Hogan. It's a nice vampire novel ( thankfully far removed from Twilight and the like) and while not as good as The Passage which is hard to beat, it's worth a look!

Bought The Fall and have just started reading it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I read The Strain a few months back. I thought it was poorly written and heavily padded. It takes forever to get moving, dwelling on dozens of almost identical reactions to a solar eclipse which seems to have little actual relevance to the plot and amount to an excuse for the writers to wheel out every metaphor of death or dying (sometimes the two states in the same line, and not in the logical order) they've ever heard of. The fact that it was the first book of a trilogy feeds my suspicion that they were just marking time so the novel wouldn't appear more like a novelette.

Fans of Del Toro will recognise many of his favourite motifs. Fans of Chuck Hogan, I don't understand you people - going on this book, he's a talentless hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Chuck Hogan fan here, in that I read Prince of Thieves a few years ago and thought it was a well written and engaging crime novel. The movie (The Town) isn't half bad either.

I also enjoyed The Strain, though it seemed to run out of steam a bit in the second half. I liked it's atmosphere and cinematic quality and I'm definitely looking forward to The Fall.

Advertisement