Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cross Training at different clubs/creating a new club

• 28-09-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey guys just wondering what your opinions are on cross training at different single style clubs and eventually forming a new club,I don't have the money or transport to get to some of the bigger gyms in Dublin and even the few around Kildare that are open 7 days a week,say i wanted 6 days of training I'd have to travel to 2 or 3 places twice a week each as most clubs can only get this in community centres ,but suppose a few months/years into training I suggest to each instructor to meet up sit down have a meeting and discuss uniting each club under one banner pooling funds and finding a place cost effective and a location convienient enough for them all to train 6-7 days a week as a professional MMA gym,each well versed in different areas ,a BJJ/Sub Wrestling instructor,a kickboxing instructor and a boxing instructor to start off with as head coaches before adding in more,does this seem like a good idea?of course it has to be done one step at a time but I mean when you think about it that's how most clubs were founded ,now it might seem like a lazy sinister motive to get more training for myself but think about how the local community would take to it as well and any members from the old clubs who now have a place to train up to 7 days a week if they want in there original discipline or MMA if they wanted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

if someone is mad into TKD/Boxing whatever they wont want to be wasting there time learning them arts to build a club doing a different sport, now in saying that you may find some greedy martial artists that see it as a business opportunity and be all for it, best advice would be to learn the arts and when your capable of teaching most to some degree set up a club in the area if there is none already and start as a beginner club and learn by experience..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

sure just do a couple weeks and start a mma gym...seems to be the thing to do now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

If I have some chocolate
    some nuts
    some caramel
    etc

It doesn't mean I have a snickers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

If I have some chocolate
    some nuts
    some caramel
    etc

lol
    Candidate for post of the day there Jason.

If I have some chocolate
    some nuts
    some caramel
    etc

As much as i agree with the analogy i have to say this, Surely all clubs especially the original ones, started from poor beginnings, now thats not necessary with clubs close enough to most places so no excuse for nobodys setting up MMA clubs, But if there is a martial artist who has a bit of everything then surely it's better they set a club up in an area that otherwise would not have MMA in it or MMA fighters who may become coaches in the future and with time like many beginner clubs it could become a big club who produces good fighters..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If I have some chocolate
    some nuts
    some caramel
    etc

Read the first few lines there and thought you had completely lost your marbles and thought you were posting in the cooking forums...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Read the first few lines there and thought you had completely lost your marbles and thought you were posting in the cooking forums...

I Thought he went "Nuts" To be Honest:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Chris Dowling

Lots of people see money in MMA and are just jumping on the band wagon!

Lots of people see money in MMA and are just jumping on the band wagon!

This is a fact and is a problem if the instruction is poor or dangerous or if it's set up in an area that already has a club taking potential clients from good established gyms, that scenario is definetly about the money, if someone wants to do MMA and has no realistic option but has skills in grappling and striking then i would look at it differently as they just want to do the sport and do the best with what they have..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

What's with everyone wanting to form a club these days anyway? What ever happened to getting some training partners and just doing some training?

Let me tell you something for free. Running a gym/club/team is no fun. You don't get to train half as much as you think because you're too busy organising the session. If you do it with scruples and honesty, there's a good chance you'll lose money hand over fist, at least initially. Running and organising stuff sucks. I love coaching and I love what I do but there's a part of me that wants to turn back the clock and just train. I didn't really have the option as I was already pretty invested in coaching, but these days, there's no one in the major towns who needs to open another gym.

So my advice would be to put an ad in the paper, on here, in the singles section of the Buy and Sell or whatever looking for training partners. Get a few mats in your shed or in the local sports hall and just train. Watch DVDs, get stuff off youtube or whatever. I guarantee a lot of "MMA instructors" are doing that anyway so you'll be on their level in no time. Occasionally, get yourself to a gym for a session with a coach or get private lessons off someone one Saturday a month.

But please, please, don't open a gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

if opening a gym is what you want to do, and you have the right structures and instructor in place the very best of luck to you

Advertisement