Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate medicine

Options
  • 28-09-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Postgraduate medicine
    What would be an excellent primary degree for a graduate course in medicine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

Honestly you can do anything, none of the people I know doing it did courses even remotely related to science. I'd say any of the biomedical or healthsciences courses if you really wanted to do one related to medicine though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Any of the biomedical sciences, and I think psychology might give you a great insight into your patients, but then what would I know, I'm not a doctor :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Weetbix wrote: »
    Postgraduate medicine
    What would be an excellent primary degree for a graduate course in medicine.
    You're getting confused between postgraduate awards like a phD or Masters degrees and "regular" degrees with graduate entry.

You'd be best off doing a science course and better yet something to do with the health sciences as you'll need that knowledge for when you sit the GAMSAT (Which is pretty tough unless you're doing a very health-science orientated course).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Don't forget the wad of cash you'll need as well- I hear those courses are very expensive to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

dambarude wrote: »
    Don't forget the wad of cash you'll need as well- I hear those courses are very expensive to run.
    €12,500 x 4 in TCD afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

€12,500 x 4 in TCD afaik.

Didn't know they did the GEM course in TCD?

A science based course definitely wouldn't hinder you for a Graduate Entry program later on, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Didn't know they did the GEM course in TCD?

A science based course definitely wouldn't hinder you for a Graduate Entry program later on, OP.

They don't. It's available in UCD, UCC, RCSI and UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you do something in the science area you wont have to learn a load of science just for the GAMSAT and you'll probably find medicine a whole lot easier. Something like physiotherapy where you're dealing with patients and learning physiology and anatomy would be very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some course in TCD in which you can pick any modules, kind of like a very broad arts degree

If I was to go back I'd have a good look at that program, if you could cover biology, physics, chem, maths as well as literature, sociology and psychology you would be very well set up for the GAMSAT and for Med. But the best advice I got for the undergrad was "do what you want"

Also if you’re a die hard for gradmed maybe do a 3 year degree and get in early

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Best undergrads for medicine are either Biochemistry or physiology imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

In my experience, the one group of consistently decent grad entry medics are physios, and most of the pharmacists.

In UL they test med students twice a year with a test Ive been told is used to judge the knowledge level of junior docs in the US, they plot students scores on a graph over the 4 years. In first year the science/physio/pharm etc do better than the non-science students but UL said after 2nd year students perform at the same level regardless of their backround

But the patient contact experience in physio must help as would the clinical nature of pharm, but its the biomeds etc that get the exemptions in 1st GEM UCD is the word on the grap-vine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

tallaght01 wrote: »
    In my experience, the one group of consistently decent grad entry medics are physios, and most of the pharmacists.

true from my class anyway, anatomy and pharmacology are the two hardest things in 1st year and it would be nice not to have to grapple with them in my experience! sit the GAMSAT in your 2nd year as a trial run because you definitely need the 2:1 in your final year to be eligible for a GEM course anyway.
    in terms of our continuous assessment, everyone is doing about the same regardless of background - it is just probably easier for those who don't have to study quite so hard if they have a science background but don't be put off by a humanities course because you will still be well able for it - the challenge would be doing the science prep for the GAMSAT yourself.
    The humanities students are showing their strengths in others areas anyway so there definitely isn't any disadvantage - once you get in that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Have a pharmacy degree myself and doing grad med. I find that baring diagnosis of disease there is a huge overlap in the courses and it's a huge advantage knowing the majority of drugs out there and their usual doses etc.

In UCC anyway there is a higher pharmacology content in pharmacy so that's a big subject taken care of (although you cannot get any exemptions in UCC).

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

Wat about dents?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

your experience is purely of Oz grads yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

your experience is purely of Oz grads yeah?

And UK and New Zealand.

Not sure there's gonna be huge differences. Worked with physio/med grads in the UK and Oz. Very very good, without exception.

haven't meet any dents in gem, i think they have special entry into the undergrad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

spagboll wrote: »
    haven't meet any dents in gem, i think they have special entry into the undergrad

Depends on the university but I think Trinity allow them to skip the preclinical years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

^^^
    Yep, a lot of dentists entered my year (3rd med) this year.
    Doctors can only skip first year of dentistry though.

^^^
    Yep, a lot of dentists entered my year (3rd med) this year.
    Doctors can only skip first year of dentistry though.

Cool and are u in trinners?do u know what the selection criteria was for those guys?sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

And UK and New Zealand.

Not sure there's gonna be huge differences. Worked with physio/med grads in the UK and Oz. Very very good, without exception.

Just to elaborate a bit, I've heard you talk about this before? Do you think the typical Gradmed graduate is inferior to the typical Med Student?

And what kind of Gradmed are you talking about? Interns? Or are you saying that in 20 years times Phyio gradmeds are outperforming Law gradmeds?

briankirby wrote: »
    Cool and are u in trinners?do u know what the selection criteria was for those guys?sound

I dont at the moment but I chat to one of the guys every now and again so I will ask him during the week for you.
    You would probably get a much more accurate answer from the school of medicine. medadmin@tcd.ie

I dont at the moment but I chat to one of the guys every now and again so I will ask him during the week for you.
    You would probably get a much more accurate answer from the school of medicine. medadmin@tcd.ie

Sound man,would seriously appreciate it;)

Righteo, I got chatting to your man yesterday.
    He said there were no special requirement for transferring into medicine, the same for any mature student except you go straight into third year.
    He mentioned how he proved to them how much he wants to do medicine. He does this by flying over to england every weekend where he is a Maxfax SHO.
    Then he comes back here for lectures on monday or tuesday.
    There are a few other dentists in the class and I am pretty sure they don't do anything as extreme as that.
    Sorry If its not the answer you were looking for.
    Wouldn't hurt to email the school of medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

In my experience, the one group of consistently decent hot grad entry medics are physios, and most of the pharmacists.

Fixed your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

sidjustice, could you ask that by pm rather than publicly please, in the interests of a boardsies anonymity

Advertisement