Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back pay questions

Options
  • 28-09-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    my ex boss was inspected by NERA and was told to pay me back pay. He says he can only pay me €10 every week for the nxt 2 years!!! In order to do this I have to be put back on his books as an employee. Can I be employed, but not actually work for him?

I did not agree to the €10 a week and had asked for a lump sum. He decided to ignore me and went ahead with his plan and sent me a cheque for €10. Can he do this? If i take him to court with NERA it will take around 18 months, in the meantime he will have sent me more than 70 cheques. This is his way of showing he is willing to re-pay me.

Has anybody else been in this position? What did you do? Is there really nothing I can do to get the payment quicker?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help
    R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Have you asked NERA if this is acceptable under their terms?

Also, why does he have to list you as employed? There is no reason for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Definitely get on to NERA.

I would be well pissed off if it was €10 every week for the next two years. When you factor in inflation and loss of earning interest on the €1040 outstanding then what you will get in the end is much reduced from what was owed to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

NERA said I should take his offer as going to court could take 18 months and I would have received most of the money in that time. I have to be registered as an employee to pay tax etc even though I wont be doing any work for him. I just can't believe he can get away with this. Is there any way around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Is there any way around this?

take him to court. or negotiate a higher installment

Advertisement