Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question - 1st Bike for a bean pole :D

• 28-09-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Probably the wrong time of year to be considering jumping on a bike.
    Anyway, looking to buy one soon to get the ball rolling.

Now, the thing is im 6'4 so that may rule some bikes out, But I do like the bmw f650gs or that style of bike. Will be looking at ones that are a few years old.

2010-BMW-F650GS-left-silver-angle-588x359.jpg

Can these be restricted ? Or what other options would you run with ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

You'll be okay with most 600+ bikes. All bikes can be restricted. i.e. you can restrict super sport 1000cc machines to learner legal (but should be shot for doing so).

I'm 6' 3 or 6' 4 myself and was very comfortable on a Yamaha FZ6N (600 Fazer). I'll be sticking with the street sports class for commuting, though an 848 is on my list of things to own for possible weekend fun.

Only thing I would say is stay away from the super sports for regular use. With size comes weight and weight on your shoulders and wrists etc leaning over the tank of a super sports would not be fun for very long. Street sports, Touring, Cruiser, Enduro (f650gs) would all be fine for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm 6'4" and my first bike was a restricted bandit 600. Did me just fine.

What about a transalp 650?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm 6'4" and my first bike was a restricted bandit 600. Did me just fine.

What about a transalp 650?

Yep two good options, on the shortlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

You have to be over six foot for some of the BMWs:D

Have a look at a 650 Dakar. No problem having it restricted, it's even a factory option:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

V-Strom is another option for you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Thanks for the input guys ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

6'4" or so and Yamaha Fazer FZ6 is fine, Just had to adjust linkages to suit foot position on gear shift. Most 600 bikes will be fine if they are non race style although some of these are OK also. Try a few and see what feels comfy

Advertisement