Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Microsoft" phone scam again.

Options
  • 28-09-2010 6:28pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A few Carlow people have had phone calls from "Microsoft" again, looking for log in details etc, time to warn less internet-savvy folks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

these guys often ring advising you that they provide a free telephone support service from microsoft (usually with an Indian accent) and during the process of "helping" you repair issues they will ask you for login details and passwords for sites such as hotmail etc or guide you to a website to download files.

Under no circumstances should you entertain these calls as a company like Microsoft almost never cold calls for support especially to home users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

just tell them that Microsoft are ghey and you only ever use Linux based products and GTFO!!!!

JOb done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I got cold called asking to renew my warranty. I politely refused by the follow up call.

Symantec's evaluation of this particular scam:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

This has now spread to Kildare. My sister just got the run around for 40 mins this evening before they started about money. She'd just upgraded and wasn't sure but the bells started ringing when money started being mentioned!!

Beware!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Jokesetal wrote: »
    This has now spread to Kildare. My sister just got the run around for 40 mins this evening before they started about money. She'd just upgraded and wasn't sure but the bells started ringing when money started being mentioned!!

Beware!!

This scam operates worldwide and has done so for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I would love to get one of these phone calls. I could do with a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

I've had plenty of these phone calls this year. I've used a variety of methods for dealing with the call such as hanging up (suggested in the symantec video), but they just call back! I've even let them ramble on for a good 10 minutes before telling them I work in IT and they're talking out of their a$$es. So far no matter how many times I tell them I never want to recieve a call from them again, I get another a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

toe_knee wrote: »
    I would love to get one of these phone calls. I could do with a laugh

I'll ring you later Toe and ask (in my nest Indian accent) for your BOI 365 login so I can make sure Windows 7 / Vista or whatever can handle opening such a LOADED account. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

They rang my house again today =/ I Believe that's the second or third time lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Called my house a few times during the week, persistant buggers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i wish they'd ring me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Got the phone call today

damn that was fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I have received similarly annoying calls, I think the company was called tree or three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

PC Care Online too.

Advertisement