Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish upside down and spasming

Options
  • 28-09-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

one of my 5 zebra danios was floating around upside down and going mad spasming every so often this evening. I caught him in the net for a while as I though I may have stunned him while moving a plant. but he didn't recover. I took him out and put him out of his misery just to be sure it wasn't something the other fish might catch or anything.

The ammonia levels in the tank have just dropped back to zero, nitrite and nitrate are a bit higher than last time I test but not much at all. I have been changing the water, 4L every second day as though its not fully cycled I didn't want the level to build up too much with the fish in the tank.

The other fish look ok, react if I go near them and all group together, which this one did not. I had thought from the start he might be a bit sick and never noticed all 5 feeding at once, I assumed it was this guy usually missing.

Any guesses, might he have been sick when I got him (Sun 19th) or should I be worried about the other fish too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Nitrite is pretty toxic, so if the level wasn't zero and it was already weak/ill then it could easily have tipped it over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yeah, seems to be the likely cause, or swim bladder.

guys over on irishfishforum were able to help out. I changed 20% of the water or so and will see what its like after work today.

The rest of them seem fine, were swimming around and eating this morning no bother.

Advertisement