Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog left to wander

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Discodog wrote: »
    Instead of killing innocent dogs how about prosecuting bad owners. This is supposed to be part of the job description for a Warden.

What are you suggesting? Let the dog roam free, whilst fining the owner?

Yes part of the wardens job is finding out who the owner of the dog is and prosecuting him should he think the law regarding the keeping of animals was broken. However also part of his job is capturing strays and nuisance dogs and has the correct legal authority to do so. Sending this dog to a shelter is not the correct course of action, and possibly illegal. If the owner wanted to claim the dog, how would they find them?

It is best to keep within the legal framework that is in place to protect everyone involved, and not have yet another unwanted dog causing havoc for drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you read post 39 I have very clearly quoted the law that makes it totally legal for a member of the public to take in a stray dog. I have also stated the proper procedure, as laid down by law, for the reuniting of lost dogs & their owners.

If the Warden picks up a stray then the owner has broken the law.

So in 2009 6845 dogs were seized by wardens of which 6506 were killed.

But in the following areas not one single person was prosecuted:
    Carlow, Clare, Cork, Limerick, Sligo, South Tip, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford & Wicklow

So the Wardens are killing thousands of dogs & prosecuting few owners. I will say again that we punish the innocent dogs & ignore the criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I suspect that you are wrong in that the OP will of taken EGAR's advice who has more experience with these matters than all of us put together.

Your philosophy punishes the dog & not the owner.

this is very presumptious of you considering you know none of us posting here, where we come from or indeed what we do!
    Everybody has different opinions and just because one person obviously has a rescue does not make them always right. We are all learning all the time which I would imagine is the reason for posting, to get a diverse range of opinions.

ppink wrote: »
    this is very presumptious of you considering you know none of us posting here, where we come from or indeed what we do!
    Everybody has different opinions and just because one person obviously has a rescue does not make them always right. We are all learning all the time which I would imagine is the reason for posting, to get a diverse range of opinions.

I know EGAR personally & so does Tilly. EGAR has rehomed well over 1000 dogs, on her own & with very little financial support over many years. EGAR is also the local rescue & calling the GSPCA would be pointless.

The OP has three choices. Call the warden & kill the dog, call a rescue or take the dog herself. What would you do ?.

The priority is to remove the dog from a potentially dangerous/injurious situation & get it to a place of safety where it can be assessed.

I know EGAR personally & so does Tilly. EGAR has rehomed well over 1000 dogs, on her own & with very little financial support over many years. EGAR is also the local rescue & calling the GSPCA would be pointless.

The OP has three choices. Call the warden & kill the dog, call a rescue or take the dog herself. What would you do ?.

I already said what I would and have done if you read the thread. EGAR's rehoming of dogs has what to do with this thread? There are many many more people in this country that do similar good work to EGAR.

• Advertisement

I already said what I would and have done if you read the thread. EGAR's rehoming of dogs has what to do with this thread? There are many many more people in this country that do similar good work to EGAR.

But EGAR offered to help unlike all the other rescues !.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Where is this *who can piddle the furthest* coming from? Last time I checked this was still a discussion board and we were doing just that: discussing an issue. We are all entitled to our opinions BUT there is a law and I quoted it as well as offering help. So what exactly is your problem?

EGAR wrote: »
    Where is this *who can piddle the furthest* coming from?

Ah well it came from Discodog actually who thinks you are the greatest!

"I suspect that you are wrong in that the OP will of taken EGAR's advice who has more experience with these matters than all of us put together"
    EGAR wrote: »
    Last time I checked this was still a discussion board and we were doing just that: discussing an issue

Exactly my point! except one person seems to think we should discount all other posters except you....and if the Discodog is right then surely there is no discussion.

I think that a "Who can piddle the furthest competition" is a great idea & way better than bitching. It would also be a brilliant fundraiser - I would pay to see it !.

ppink I apologise that I have offended you & I have edited the offending post accordingly. I will ensure that whenever I mention EGAR in any glowing light that I also mention you so that you do not feel left out.

I think that a "Who can piddle the furthest competition" is a great idea & way better than bitching. It would also be a brilliant fundraiser - I would pay to see it !.

I bow out of that one ;) due to biological reasons :D. Might get Bruce to stand in for me though!

• Advertisement

On a general note, I must say, I am surprised at the response from some posters here, given that is an animal board and we are all supposed to be animal lovers.

I don't see what is so difficult to understand about it.

It is against the law.

It is dangerous for the dog AND people.

Not to mention that a straying unneutered/spayed dog has every chance to add to the unwanted dogs situation which is bad enough already.

Surely, apart from the legalities, it is common sense to insure the wellbeing of ones dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stella2010

i-digress wrote: »
    A night collar, you say. I'm intrigued. Where do you get one of these? I'm looking into reflective vests for my lab pup, she's chocolate so it's even more necessary.

I got 2 in Lidl recently for €4 - they have flashing LED lights on them and have a reflective strip on them too- the vests are also a good idea - most pet stores stock them and you can find them online too. I think I got mine from Zooplus but can't be 100% certain on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Why would anyone allow their dog to roam? I don't understand it.

I live County Limerick surrounded by farmland. My dog roams, she gets shot, simple as.

I can't imagine sitting down of an eveing and NOT knowing where my dog is? It's ridiculous in this dag and age and IS the main reason we have so many unwanted HEALTHY dogs in this country that end up getting pts. Roaming dogs can cause accidents, can damage or worry livestock, can frighten people who are genuinely afraind of dogs, can mate with other roaming dogs and cause unwanted litters, foul other peoples gardens the list goes on and on.

For what it's worth I would never bring a stray to the pound and would always bring them to a rescue. The pound is s death sentence for dogs in ireland. Incidentally as I feel EGAR had gotten a bit of a raw response on this thread from some posters, she has gone out of her way to help me in the past when she absolutely did not have to. That is the true meaning of rescue.

Be responsible, keep you pets safe from harm, how easy is that or are some people just too lazy to provide a safe home for their dog?

Advertisement