Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended Locks

• 28-09-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Have recently insured my new bike from chill.ie. They recommend bronze, silver and gold locks. Just wondering if any of these are any use or even any difference between bronze to gold.
    Link below

http://www.chill.ie/Products/Bicycle-Insurance/Approved-Locks.chl

Cheers

DOC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

gold is most secure ,then silver, then bronze

The gold ones would be obviously most expensive and heaviest as well , if you are leaving your bike in town for a good length of time for example , then you should be going for going for gold e.g yellow kypronite U lock plus a cheaper lighter lock from silver or bronze to secure other wheel etc

I am surprised that you can insure a bike with a bronze rated cable lock...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

I know, I actually rang them about what they would recommend for my bike which is worth around 700 quid. They actaully said to use the bronze locks. The insurance cover has no bearing on the quality of lock used, which I find bizarre.

What I was really asking was there any big difference between the qualilty of the gold to silver to bronze. I've seen locks range in price from 30-100 quid, was wondering if there is a need to splash out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I read a few times that the rule of thumb is to spend at least 10% of the price of your bike on locks.

I spent a bit more: €130 on two locks and a cable for a €999 bike. I think if I had ordered online the locks would have cost me less than €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Those ratings are a marketing tool, don't trust them at all.

Chains and cable locks are largely worthless except as a secondary lock, except perhaps for the very heaviest motorcycle chains which are useful for keeping in a single location (e.g. shed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

If you like your bike i would recommend this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12767

Kryptonite New York 3000 U, bit heavy one could say, but i think your bike should be safe with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

there is but one lock, kryptonite. which one is upto you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

sorry to hijack this thread, but what do you all use in terms of combos?

thinking in terms of leaving bike in underground carpark at home.

u-lock plus cable lock for other wheel?

chain plus u-lock/cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There have been a lot of thefts from apartment block underground carparks. The thief is usually out of sight and so has more time to work on the lock. You might be better keeping the bike in the apt/balcony/personal store (if you get one) than in the car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What lock you get depends really on the location. One place might be so secure or obscure that no one goes near it. Other places just get constant abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

G rock wrote: »
    sorry to hijack this thread, but what do you all use in terms of combos?

thinking in terms of leaving bike in underground carpark at home.

u-lock plus cable lock for other wheel?

chain plus u-lock/cable?

I personally wouldnt leave my bike in underground car park. but if you have to, then proper u-lock plus some chain for front wheel should do the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement