Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inset or freestanding stove

• 28-09-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

sorry for asking questions again for stoves. i know there's a lot of threads about this already but we don't have any idea's on how these would work. we we're originally eyeing on hercules 30b as we're planning to use it as our central heating as well. the room is 3.7 x 5.4 meters and 2.57 high and it seems that the hercules is too big for this room. we're originally planning on placing it as a freestanding stove as our chimney is already about a meter wide so putting it in front of the chimney would eat up the space in the room. but the cost of flue pipes, flashings etc is way over our budget already and someone told us that we might need to tile the wall as well as it will going to crack the plaster on the wall because its too hot.

now we're thinking of the inset stove so we could just use the chimney and cut down the cost of buying pipes (personally i like the look of the inset stove but my husband is worried about the heat output compared to freestanding one). but i reckon if we have a zoned heating installed we won't be really needing a big stove. we have 8 big radiators and 3 small ones (all double panel and we don't really use all the rooms at the moment)

i'm currently looking at esse 350gs, charwood slx45 and stratford Ti40b. would these be enough in our room even on a cold winter like last year?

would appreciate any suggestions

thanks and regards

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I had a Stovax Riva 66 inset multi fuel stove built into my old open fireplace.Also had twin wall flexi flue liner installed in the chimney and it insulated too.The black marble hearth is then flushed into the floor so that its sits level with the oak wooden floor.

The Stovax 66 chucks out some serious heat indeed,so much so,that I cant actually sit in my sitting room when its going full whack.It gets that warm.:eek:

You will still need to install a stainless flue system into your existing chimney (twin wall flexi flue liner),with an inset stove.Otherwize the stove will not operate at its best/optimum.

Pic of 10 meter long 6 inch wide flexi flue liner attached.Also anti down draught pot hanger cowl with bird gaurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

thanks for your reply paddy. i really like the look of the riva but i can't find any model with boiler. is the flexi liner expensive? where did you get it? thanks for the pix at least now we have an idea on how to put the inset stove

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

angelmum wrote: »
    thanks for your reply paddy. i really like the look of the riva but i can't find any model with boiler. is the flexi liner expensive? where did you get it? thanks for the pix at least now we have an idea on how to put the inset stove

I dont think that Stovax do an inset stove with a back boiler.:confused:
    Infact,I think it would very rare for anyone to do an inset/cassette stove with a back boiler.Probably very expensive too.

The twin walled flexi flue liner was got out in Excel Industries in Coolmine Ind Estate in Blanchardstown.I think it was around 250-280 euro for the 10 meters of itthat also included a fitting kit to allow fitment to the stove and also to secure it to the chimney pot.

I got that chimney pot hanger cowl from the Uk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The Charnwood SLX45i is an inset with a boiler. The Clearview Vision Inset can be specified with a boiler also (the inset without boiler is not cheap so its not going to be cheap with a boiler).

Just note that the effect of having a boiler is that less of the heat comes into the room, though if you've a whole house to heat, you'll likely not be too worried by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cat_M

Howmuch are you guys being set back?That for an inset minus back boiler?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    This may be too late for an option but here goes...

Our room is 4.5 * 9.5 so is a bit bigger than your own, we wanted the Hercules 30b stove and to reduce it's footprint on the floor we recessed it back into the chimney opening, we also liked the retrofit look it gives :rolleyes:

The room is skimmed but the area round the stove is sand-cement plastered to withstand the heat, have had savage fires and no cracking problems..

I've stuck in a photo but it's an old one from construction... flue is straight up from top of stove...
    30bstove.th.jpg

Advertisement