Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drums for Leaving Cert. Music Practical

• 28-09-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Would any of you fine folks know if this is allowed? Any restrictions on it etc.?
    Thanking you!
    -Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

Drums are allowed, afraid that's all I know!someone in my class did it

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

lctake2 wrote: »
    Drums are allowed, afraid that's all I know!someone in my class did it
    That's a piece of great news man thanks!
    Has anyone done it before.. I'm thinking I'm in a small minority here!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I know someone did it in my school, but she was the only one who did it in my year so I think it might not be all that common.

I know someone did it in my school, but she was the only one who did it in my year so I think it might not be all that common.
    That's actually pretty good to know! Thanks for the reply!

Eh.. Apologies, but could anyone link me to the requirements for the practical? I really have very little idea of what I'm doing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Requirements are the same as with any instrument. 6 pieces on one instrument or 4 on one and 4 on another.
    I know two people who have played drums for the LC and scored very well. One (who is an unbelievable drummer) just played with someone playing chords on an electrical guitar. He composed it all himself and made the drums sound like a main melody instrument.
    The other person wasnt as good a drummer but got 6 different backing tracks and drummed to them on his own. He scored very well as he couldnt be faulted on his song choice or playing style. Simple is often best :)

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Requirements are the same as with any instrument. 6 pieces on one instrument or 4 on one and 4 on another.
    I know two people who have played drums for the LC and scored very well. One (who is an unbelievable drummer) just played with someone playing chords on an electrical guitar. He composed it all himself and made the drums sound like a main melody instrument.
    The other person wasnt as good a drummer but got 6 different backing tracks and drummed to them on his own. He scored very well as he couldnt be faulted on his song choice or playing style. Simple is often best :)
    Thanks very much! The more information the better, I'm going to start preparing tracks soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

I'm hoping to do drums for 4 of my pieces (then 4 guitar) to backing tracks.
    What I've been told is that they need to be varied styles. So playing metal/rock for all 4 won't do.
    I'm actually going to be using some of Vadrums stuff, classical music and modern pop culture themed music.

Have a listen if you like, I've been told I can get top marks fairly easy :D

Classical (William Tell) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vLQ7iCz94
    Mario Theme Tune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqwvjwqwK4&feature=relmfu

I'm also thinking of doing a rock piece, something along the lines of Black Stone Cherry - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W7FySqxx2g

Finally.. well I don't know, maybe Irish music? I'm only in 5th year so I have lots of time to decide.

*edit* I would love to play this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73JaFIkdcR0&feature=channel
    Don't think I'd be allowed though, too 'out there'.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 M.R.B

If you get the William Tell down, Id say it to be v.good. Remember, the examiner has probably seen loads of drummers throughout their time, so if you do something original, itll be refreshing and theyll subconciously mark you higher.

The Cobus tribute, is a bit "out there", if it was me Id take the idea, but not specifically Cobus' backing track, make up your own compilation of songs. Also finally remember that you only have at most 25 mins for your practical so you cant really have one of two pieces which are 8-9 mins, as youll be under time pressure for the rest of the pieces, and more than likely the examiner will stop you half way through.

Advertisement