Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you ever have enough longboards?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Howdee again,

here to clog up the forum with another rubbish thread. Just wondering do any of you guys rotate your longboards much? The reason I ask, is I am currently using a westbay performance longboard. (9ft 1) 22'. PU

So far, so good, there's a bit more zip in it than the 10ft bic longboard I used to ride a few years back.

To me, it seems more responsive than a 7ft 9 mal I used to ride..

Now, I sold off every other board I had, that I tried out. I gave the 7ft 9 mal to my nephew, so don't want to be nicking his...

Thing is, I'd nearly get a 10 footer to have for really small days, so I could have all my angles covered.... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

11'6 x 1, 11' due, 10'2 x 1, 10' x 2 and 9'6 x 3
    You can never have too many logs

They all get used depending on mood or dings.
    (one 9'6 is just for sentimental reasons, but it still might get pulled out this year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

cool... LowPockets... wonder what an 11footer must be like to ride. must be great fun altogether...

yeah, think I'll try and pick up a 10ft or bigger over the winter, for really small days. I find the 9ft westbay a little bit of a challenge (not for pop up etc..), as in, I feel I can try and be a little aggressive with it, rather than just completely cruising....but it's good to just cruise...:)

Very different. Very fast, but a lot of board. Nice in small waves but comes into its own the bigger it gets. Iv had a few horrible moments though. Its a lot of board in small waves, on bigger days, Iv been terrified of killing people.

I can imagine....(look out 11ft dead ahead!!)

any recommendations for a larger log? (quiet down the back!!!)

I'd pretty much go generic...must keep the eyes peeled over the next while..

Going generic is like buying clothes in lidl.
    Bland and pointless.

Longboards last. Their worth spending the cash on.
    Just be careful, theres a lot of ****e being around. Its tough enough to get a nice log here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

You can defo have enough long boarders. Stealing all the waves and dropping in the whole time.

When you just got a wave it doesn't mean you can go for another straight away just because you have a longboard.

While it is nice to see a long boarder or two, there are just too many with very bad surf ethics

some sound advice there Low Pockets. Cheers....

Hopefully, Nick Drake, I am not one of those with bad etiquette. To be honest, I tend to veer away from crowds on a beach. I stayed away last weekend, just to steer clear of the crowds. I know I missed some decent waves, but I'll take a quiet midweek day. I am currently in a position where I can do that fortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

one of the best log shapers will be back in ireland on oct 20th!
    also there is ian johnson and a few others ;o) who will make you a very good log too, just dont buy the chinese c###!!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Nick if the long boarder is already on the wave from behind you he is hardly dropping in. I surf a longboard and like small clean stuff 1-3ft sometimes you have to paddle like fck to catch even on a log. There could be 5-6 longboarders surfing on the day and maybe 15 shortboarders further in who in my opinion are never going to catch anything so i can't see how I am dropping in on them. When its double over head I'll be in the van with me tea watching all the shortboarders rip it up. Thats a bit of a generalisation but you get the idea.

Nick if the long boarder is already on the wave from behind you he is hardly dropping in. I surf a longboard and like small clean stuff 1-3ft sometimes you have to paddle like fck to catch even on a log. There could be 5-6 longboarders surfing on the day and maybe 15 shortboarders further in who in my opinion are never going to catch anything so i can't see how I am dropping in on them. When its double over head I'll be in the van with me tea watching all the shortboarders rip it up. Thats a bit of a generalisation but you get the idea.

I know what dropping in is. While long boarders do drop in, their favourite is to be greedy and constantly take waves. There may be a set of 3-4 waves coming in every few mins due to a period and the same longboarders will go for the waves every set and not allow anyone else get them. the fact is they sit out back and just take all.

There are some very mannered fellas and it is great to see them but most people I know give out about long boarders for their lack of ethcis and greed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Nick, if you can't beat em join em!

Back to original question, answer is no. At the moment, amongst the different boards I have, there are three very different longboards (only counting boards over 9") that all get ridden regularly and I can still see holes in the quiver!

But you need to know what you want out of each board.

I suppose it would be good to have a 10ft single fin (for example), and a 0ft 3 fin, just for the craic. oh the celtic tiger days... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

I know what dropping in is. While long boarders do drop in, their favourite is to be greedy and constantly take waves. There may be a set of 3-4 waves coming in every few mins due to a period and the same longboarders will go for the waves every set and not allow anyone else get them. the fact is they sit out back and just take all.
    I saw this happen a lot last weekend. Very frustrating. A good few lads had no idea of sharing, just paddling for every single set wave that appeared, paddling back out and taking a wave from the next set straight away.

Jomob wrote: »
    I saw this happen a lot last weekend. Very frustrating. A good few lads had no idea of sharing, just paddling for every single set wave that appeared, paddling back out and taking a wave from the next set straight away.

Ya it is WAY to common with longboarders. Perhaps there should be a sticky here for Longboarders on proper manners in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

NickDrake wrote: »
    Ya it is WAY to common with longboarders. Perhaps there should be a sticky here for Longboarders on proper manners in the water.

Don't see it very often myself. When I'm on my longboard and catching waves with ease I tend to take pity on the poor shortboarders. I give them a few sets in a row now and again to jostle over for while I sit out back taking it easy. :cool:

Sharing the water isn't hard and doesn't take away from anyones good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

NickDrake wrote: »
    Perhaps there should be a sticky here for Longboarders on proper manners in the water.

Or alternatively you should ride a board that suits the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Are you complaining that some people like to take off on the peak:eek:

Bleeden shoulder hopper

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Or alternatively you should ride a board that suits the conditions.

Why? Conditions can suit a longboards and shortboards my friend. I am talking about being greedy in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The guy that surfs a long board and takes every wave isn´t a long boarder he´s a gready fuxk who rides a long board if everybody else was surfing 9 ft boards he´d buy a 10 to get the advantage.

bit like this tread somebody has to turn a good question with a positive vibe negative. to get back on track buying a 10 ft board isn´t the way to go not all 10 ft boards are the same see if you can borrow boards till you find what you after, 9´6 with the right outline volume rocker .... might be heaps better than a 10 ft board and it´s a good idea to have more than one board, dings, windy or big days.....

• Advertisement

yeah, that's true spacehopper. ah, I'll be happy if I have 2 longboards, but I'd try and have two different "feeling" boards.....

after today, I think, rather than trying out something longer, possibly something wider...

wouldn't mind a spin on bic nose rider...

Advertisement