Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does LC Irish get easier?

• 28-09-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I'm 3 weeks into 5th year and so far most subjects are fine but Irish seems extremely daunting. There's so much I don't understand. I got a B HL for the JC but there's still a lot that I don't understand. I don't want to drop down cause I need the points. Was anyone in a similar situation last year and did it improve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yamadeejit

Please help

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SD021

I'm in the same boat. I've always found Irish managable but these past couple of weeks I have been completely lost. I'm going to stick with it for the year and if I'm still struggling badly at the end of 5th year I might drop down to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Same situation and I got the same mark as you in the JC, all my other subjects are manageable, but the jump in Irish is massive. I'm considering waiting until after Christmas and seeing what the story is and then dropping, because I don't need it for points if I keep HL Maths (which is bizarrely easier than Irish so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I wouldn't drop down yet. I found Irish difficult at the start of 5th year but then as the other subjects got harder throughout the year Irish stayed at the same level iykwim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The jump between JC and LC is massive in terms of what you're expected to do. That's across the board in every subject.

Irish unfortunately doesn't get "easier" as such. It gets quite complex and you need to put in a LOT more effort than what you did in the JC. An A in any JC subject can be attained relatively easily, an A1 or A2 in any LC subject needs hours of dedication and determination to achieve.

That said though, you're doing the new Maths and Irish syllabi. They seem to be easier and less of a PITA compared to the old ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Probably depends on what you have done, so far we have 2 poems and a prose piece done, none were that easy but our lady has a knack for the oral so that seems a doddle as does the tape. Here's hoping! I'd stick with it a bit, sure it won't harm your ordinary level level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Stick with the honours! I got an A in JC Irish and yes it's difficult at the beginning of 5th year because of the standard leap but you'll settle into it eventually.
    Also, I find that the teacher speaks in Irish constantly from 5th year on (I'm in 6th year now), which didn't happen for the JC, and listening and understanding what they're saying will bring your level of Irish up a notch without you really realising.
    There is a lot of work but it's manageable enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I'm in 6th year now. Believe me you're Irish will improve between now and next year. :) If you work hard you should get a good mark. If you still haven't got the hang of it by next year maybe you should drop or consider starting grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Same situation and I got the same mark as you in the JC, all my other subjects are manageable, but the jump in Irish is massive. I'm considering waiting until after Christmas and seeing what the story is and then dropping, because I don't need it for points if I keep HL Maths (which is bizarrely easier than Irish so far)

You won't be saying that for long. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I don't need it for points if I keep HL Maths (which is bizarrely easier than Irish so far)
    Ah if only :pac:

The first few chapters are just a recap of the JC. It's when you actually begin the "real" course so to speak that you'll appreciate just how massive the leap is between the two.

• Advertisement

God guys way to ruin my maths buzz. :L :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Ya i'm in the same boat too. I am sooo suprised at how hard I find irish :(.. I'm dropping to pass maths as soon as possible so I have to stick with irish for points :(..

As we're here, how do you study Irish? Any good websites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

nommm wrote: »
    You won't be saying that for long. :pac:

haha, exactly :pac:

Ah well tbh, your course has kinda changed in which there is more emphasis placed on the oral. 40% is it?
    Well for poems and all that, unless you are good and able to speak it well without learning reams and reams of stuff off, it's all really a memory game.
    In my class, we get reams of notes on the poems and the stories and essays that we've to just learn off and stick it on to the page come exam time.

It's alot of notes and learning but even 10 years or so into learning this evil language, I'm as fluent as Joe Soap across the road working for the council.
    So really, you can rely on your teacher for notes (mine gives good ones) or I hear revise wise is good also.

There's just way more in the course anyways than in the JC! So just try your best to build up your vocab.
    And don't leave it until 6th year :P

Oh and foinse, the irish newspaper free with the Indo every wednesday is epic :)
    Keeps you up to date with current events and it even has a section for school folk like us!

Advertisement