Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long range groups

Options
  • 28-09-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Like many other shooters I am not a member of a range YET! (there should be student rates!)

This means I don't see much groups shot by ranges rifles dedicated for long range shooting, the only groups we shoot are to check zero at normal hunting ranges.

I would like to see what yer rifles + ye are capable of at different ranges.

Post pics with details of set up please!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »
    Like many other shooters I am not a member of a range YET! (there should be student rates!)

This means I don't see much groups shot by ranges rifles dedicated for long range shooting, the only groups we shoot are to check zero at normal hunting ranges.

I would like to see what yer rifles + ye are capable of at different ranges.

Post pics with details of set up please!:D

I saw a group from a boards members rifle recently

I'll let the man post them himself though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Post pics with details of set up please!:D[/QUOTE]

here is the start my .22lr practicing on steel gong. at 65y
    huntingpics010.jpg

then this is my favorite 500y with my tikka t3 tactical .223 75gr hornady bthp match. with a bit of coaching from shanmol308. i know i keep showing this but it is the best one i have
    500y223.jpg

the first group i ever tried with my .308. i was dialing in the scope and i know i can do better. it was at 430y on a windy mountain
    350m308.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

I saw a group from a boards members rifle recently

4" @1000

I'll let the man post them himself though ;)
    Im guessing this group you seen was of my 6XC that was shot at 1000 yards ?Impressing results from an 11lbs hunting setup .:D:D

Has me sorely Tempted!

Yep, Has me sorely Tempted!!
    Yea know ya want to:p.Theres an olde tool maker up your way that could knock ya up one ;).

• Advertisement

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Yea know ya want to:p.Theres an olde tool maker up your way that could knock ya up one ;).

Hes always saying to me I would one.

I'm not going into debt though.
    I've 90 rounds of .223 ammo, when she runs out I may consider it!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Im guessing this group you seen was of my 6XC that was shot at 1000 yards ?Impressing results from an 11lbs hunting setup .:D:D

For a Hunting weight rifle thats a serious grouping yet at the same time it would do very well in target competitions:eek:

Didnt think it was possible to get that kind of grouping from such a light rifle:o:o

Hondata92 wrote: »
    For a Hunting weight rifle thats a serious grouping yet at the same time it would do very well in target competitions:eek:

Didnt think it was possible to get that kind of grouping from such a light rifle:o:o

6XC (say it fast SEXY):D:D

Seriously accurate calibre, and a good rifle smith also helps :D

Hondata92 wrote: »

It was built for long range hunting ,not for target shooting .The rifle was built on a stock remmy action with a krieger 28" barrel.

6XC (say it fast SEXY):D:D

Seriously accurate calibre, and a good rifle smith also helps :D
    Quality barrel ...accurate caliber and a good rifle smith are the ingredients to a fine shooting rifle .All a little more than the price of a Tikka :cool:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Thanks Paulo! I wasn't expecting the groups to be like that from factory rifles but I'm impressed!

What are the custom builds capable of?? Pics??

tac foley wrote: »
    Sir - that is truly remarkable shooting from a standard gun, and is actually SMALLER than the current UK 1000 yard bench rest top score.
    1000 YARDS FACTORY SPORTER SMALL GROUP (5 SHOTS)
    Garry Green 4.625 inches Diggle Ranges 28.9.03 300 Win.Mag

Please contact these good people and tell them about it - http://ukbra.webs.com/currentrecords.htm

Shooting standard ammunition to achieve that group is something that nobody has EVER done - everybody else shoots hand-loaded stuff.

Your single group has beaten 'The Best of British' shooters.

tac
    First of all ,if you havent already noticed im in Ireland not uk !The group has beaten notthing other than to hilite how accurate and well built the rifle is .Unless of course you think the rifle did not make such a group ?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I once put six shots in three inches at six hundred yards with a .303 P14 with issue sights. My theory is that sometimes all the mistakes cancel each other out. It was especially nice since I was shooting for a team made up of reserves from the real teams that were shooting that day. :D

Tomcat - thank you for your PM.

As you correctly point out, your rifle would be classed as a custom model and not an OOTB rifle.

BUT - NORMA need to know about it!

tac
    Tac , now your trying to be smart .....I replyed to your pm you and you make comments of our pms back on thread:eek:Please find some one else to play games with !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm sorry that you think the tone has gone off the post. I was trying to say that if you told NORMA about this fine bit of shooting, they might 'bung' you a few freebies. G*d knows you pay enough for the stuff in the RoI.

Every manufacturer likes to see success in the field with their products.

tac

I'm sorry that you think the tone has gone off the post. I was trying to say that if you told NORMA about this fine bit of shooting, they might 'bung' you a few freebies. G*d knows you pay enough for the stuff in the RoI.

Every manufacturer likes to see success in the field with their products.

tac
    Thats just silly chat ,now :o:o.With all your advice on NORMA ....ect ,perhaps you could post up some of your groups and details of your setups..After all this is what the thread was intended for .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

After all this is what the thread was intended for .

Agreed, lets try and stay on topic please.

Some great pics lads. I am away this weekend but next weekend I will zero the rifle and try and get some 300 yard shots on paper with the .223

Thats just silly chat ,now :o:o.With all your advice on NORMA ....ect ,perhaps you could post up some of your groups and details of your setups..After all this is what the thread was intended for .

Sir - I have a twenty-five-year old Krico 650S in .308Win, and an even older K31-actioned TR with a Schultz & Larsen barrel. The Krico has a 8-32x56 Nightforce NSX on it and the TR has a Gehmann rear sight and W+F foresight.

Both shoot handloads only as I can't afford factory from Norma or anybody else. Handloading means that I can shoot every weekend, though, with good results [for me].

On a very good day with my handloads I'm happy with a half-MOA five-shot group with the Krico and slightly bigger with the TR, but I'm not a particularly good shot, just 'handy'.

If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you pics of them and my other sixteen guns.

And BTW, that 25-year-old Krico is the newest I have.

tac

PS - I can't read your emoticons. Best not to bother, really. Saves any misunderstandings, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you pics of them and my other sixteen guns.

Why not post the groups here tac?? Thats why I set up the thread for in the first place.

Still interested to see what custom builds are capable of lads!:)

patsat wrote: »
    Why not post the groups here tac?? Thats why I set up the thread for in the first place.

Still interested to see what custom builds are capable of lads!:)

Sir - I don't have a custom rifle of any kind, just a well-used 25-year-old Krico that shoots quite well, but certainly nothing that would impress any of you guys. I don't usually take pictures of groups for any reason, since I have nobody to impress except myself, but this weekend I'll take a couple of pix. Posting images, on the other hand, poses a few problems for me, which is why I usually ask somebdy else to do it for me like they do on the vcrai site.

There is a single image of my last reloading session results with a new type of propellant over on www.vcrai.com, if you really want to see, but to compare my old clunker with your custom screamers is not a valid comparison. Have a look at page 1 of the thread Interesting Article - A Very Basic History of Propellant and you'll see the changes that a tiny variation in the amount of propellant can make to your groups. My best three-shot test group came with 44gr and measured just slightly bigger than a single bullet hole. Needless to say, I don't shoot like that all the time, sadly.

Details, for when you can reload over there, were -

.308Win Lapua brass [three times used]
    Sierra Match King HPBT
    44gr of IMR4064
    Winchester LR standard primers
    Bullet set 10thou off the lands

In the kind of shooting that I do, I need to reliably place a hit on an eight-inch diameter target out to ca.600m. My old gun does that for me in all weathers and I'm happy.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Quality barrel ...accurate caliber and a good rifle smith are the ingredients to a fine shooting rifle .All a little more than the price of a Tikka :cool:.

When you say a little more than the price of a tikka, if you dont mind me asking how much did your custom rifle cost. Pm me tom if you want.

Hunting tumbhole stock(pillar and glass bedded ),krieger barrel ,trigger ... ,built inside 6 weeks cost 1400 euros .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

sfakiaman wrote: »
    I once put six shots in three inches at six hundred yards with a .303 P14 with issue sights. My theory is that sometimes all the mistakes cancel each other out. It was especially nice since I was shooting for a team made up of reserves from the real teams that were shooting that day. :D

My father scored a 'possible' at 600 yards in his FCA days with a .303 and issued sights

That is impressive shooting you did. Care to come to Kerry on Sunday and do some more?;)

Irish Army didn't have P14's :confused: They had No. 4 MK 1's I thought

My father scored a 'possible' at 600 yards in his FCA days with a .303 and issued sights

As you know, many of us in the Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland [www.vcrai.com] enjoy shooting our old service rifles from many different countries....UK and Commonwealth/Empire, Ireland, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland, USA and Canada and so on.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

As you know, many of us in the Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland [www.vcrai.com] enjoy shooting our old service rifles from many different countries....UK and Commonwealth/Empire, Ireland, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland, USA and Canada and so on.

tac

Indeed we do :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Sorry lads but I'm only getting a blank page from that link.

I'm interested in a Lee Endfield or a springfield, but will have to get my current applications through first.

Fish

Sorry lads but I'm only getting a blank page from that link.

I'm interested in a Lee Endfield or a springfield, but will have to get my current applications through first.

Fish

Ah, my fault - somehow the bracket was included in the url - try it again -

www.vcrai.com

tac

PS - a visit to the Midlands to see the lads shooting their vintage rifles sounds like a good plan to me - see if you can manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

"Irish Army didn't have P14's confused.gif They had No. 4 MK 1's I thought"

Who said anything about the Irish Army! and it was on the Dreghorn range before they moved out to the 'corse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

Shot this 4 shot group at 300yrds in 4mph gusting wind with Blaser LRS2 .300 win mag and Zeiss Victory 6-24x56 off bipod.
    http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/snigger/DSC_1904.jpg

• Advertisement

GixxerThou wrote: »
    Shot this 4 shot group at 300yrds in 4mph gusting wind with Blaser LRS2 .300 win mag and Zeiss Victory 6-24x56 off bipod.
    http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/snigger/DSC_1904.jpg
    Thats tight shooting Gixxer ,puts it up to some of the custom jobbies ;)

Advertisement