Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV System Stealing the Recorder

Options
  • 28-09-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

HI I was thinking of investing in a decent CCTV System. I was just thinking if i was away and the property was visited by burglars. If i was a thief Knowing there was CCTV system in place, the first thing i would do is go to the most likely place the DVR recording system was (master bedroom) and destroy or steal it. IS the whole point of cctv to deter? If the dvr is taken its game over then i take it? or is this also stored on the internet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

HI I was thinking of investing in a decent CCTV System. I was just thinking if i was away and the property was visited by burglars. If i was a thief Knowing there was CCTV system in place, the first thing i would do is go to the most likely place the DVR recording system was (master bedroom) and destroy or steal it. IS the whole point of cctv to deter? If the dvr is taken its game over then i take it? or is this also stored on the internet?

At the end of the day all you can do is try deter someone from breaking in to your property. If they want to get in they will. If you had remote recording and viewing in a monitoring station then you might have some hope of getting a picture of who broke in if they did steal the DVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The most common solution is to stick the DVR in to a lockable steel box and bolt it down.
    At the other end of the scale you could install a smoke screen, if they can't see it they can't steel it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Secure location & secure housing is the best solution.
    As the OP mentioned master bedroom I presume this is a domestic application. Hardly going to be getting into CCTV transmission & monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If you are thinking of putting one in the master bedroom then get a fanless dvr as fans can be quite noisey

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jnealon wrote: »
    If you are thinking of putting one in the master bedroom then get a fanless dvr as fans can be quite noisey

ICRealtime do a nice little quiet 4 channel unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ckinane

Are IC Realtime good quality DVR

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Please tell me you have an alarm system.......you are in cloud cuckoo land if you think that a CCTV system is as efficent as an alarm for detecting intruders.
    Eg; The alarm will still activate if the burglar is wearing a hoodie---will the CCTV system recognise the burglar????

By all means install a CCTV system if you wish, but please install an alarm first. Horses for courses and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

ckinane wrote: »
    Are IC Realtime good quality DVR

I have installed a few, have no issues with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

kub wrote: »

Any ideas on price?

What size recorder are you looking for?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    What size recorder are you looking for?

8 channel, networkable (admin console/ footage review via PC). Android app/access a bouns.

Around €400-€600

Thanks for that KoolKid

No bother. Let's know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ckinane

kub wrote: »

Thank Kub.

Advertisement