Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more mink

Options
  • 28-09-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

saw this in the hunting section
    Hundreds of mink have escaped from a farm in the Ardara area.

The mink where being farmed in the Meenavalley area. It’s understood someone cut the wire and opened the gates and let the animals out.

Locals and farmers are asked to be on the lookout for the mink.

Owner of the mink farm, Connie Anderson, said those responsible for letting the animals escape where ‘animal terrorists’:

Meanwhile, the Secretary of the Sliabh League Angling Club, Noel Carr, says that this will unleash a terrible environmental problem on South-West Donegal.

And he says the mink will need food, and salmon will be an easy target:

when will these people learn :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

While agreeing with you - just for clarity - the are much easier target for Mink than Salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

While agreeing with you - just for clarity - the are much easier target for Mink than Salmon.

i agree with you, i have seen first hand the damage they do, been trapping them almost a year now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I didnt know mink was still farmed in Ireland.
    Thats a disaster for that area of Donegal alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I didnt know mink was still farmed in Ireland.
    Thats a disaster for that area of Donegal alright.

I thought these farms were banned too - eithier way the action of these clowns is tantemount to Ecological vandalism:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The mink population around Limerick had a front page setting in one of the local papers a few weeks back.

It was something that the most trashy tabloids would have been proud of.

A merciless killing machine was warned of. One that attacks dogs and horses.

The article painted a picture of animals that were going around like a pride of very angry lions.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    The mink population around Limerick had a front page setting in one of the local papers a few weeks back.

It was something that the most trashy tabloids would have been proud of.

A merciless killing machine was warned of. One that attacks dogs and horses.

The article painted a picture of animals that were going around like a pride of very angry lions.

Lions good, mink bad;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Lions good, mink bad;)

Ah now the Limerick Post speaks of uber Mink capable of attacking fully grown horses, so I can only think that we have giant six foot mink roaming freely within the city limits.

I am fully aware of the impact that mink can have upon an area, but I thought the scaremongering tactics of the paper and local authorities who were directly quoted was really over the top.

It just made me think how many animals that people mistake for a mink may get killed, and how many idiots will do things like put down poison which will cause serious damage.

I can remember having a right row with what turned out to be a farmer a few years back that was about to shoot a " big mink". I saw his intended target and had words that turned into a heated row with him. What he was trying to shoot was a lovely otter that was feeding near the lakeshore on an eel, and the ignorant git with his gun was even trying to do so on land that was not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Kess73 wrote: »
    ...What he was trying to shoot was a lovely otter that was feeding near the lakeshore on an eel...

Im sure that happens all the time :(
    Though mink dont swim as well as otters so that can give them away from the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

mink farms due to be phased out here by 2012, there are only 5 left currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

What do these thick ignorant so called animal activists think they were doing. What do they think these mink eat, well its not tofu. These morons have released an alien species to the detriment of our native wildlife. So well done whoever you are you are no better than the worst of our enviromental polluters. Also why was there no security at this farm as it was a great target for these self appointed muppets and why is there a need for this farm in the first place. I hope there is a plan in place to catch or kill these mink as to let them roam would be disastrous.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

It's unfair to put the blame of the ecological impact at the feet of the activists who released them from their suffering. That is 100% the responsibility of the cruel mink farmers. They brought them in and are breeding them. Maybe a hefty fine for any consequent damage might teach them a lesson.

"Owner of the mink farm, Connie Anderson, said those responsible for letting the animals escape where ‘animal terrorists’ "

Pot, meet kettle...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

phonypony wrote: »
    It's unfair to put the blame of the ecological impact at the feet of the activists who released them from their suffering. That is 100% the responsibility of the cruel mink farmers. They brought them in and are breeding them. Maybe a hefty fine for any consequent damage might teach them a lesson.

"Owner of the mink farm, Connie Anderson, said those responsible for letting the animals escape where ‘animal terrorists’ "

Pot, meet kettle...

whats wrong with farming mink? we farm lots of different types of animals, or do you see all farming as cruel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Pot, meet kettle...
    Explain how it unfair to put the blame on them for something they did??? the mink farm was not breaking any laws, the antis illegally entered the farm, caused criminal damage by cutting a fence and have now put native species in donegal at risk! We farm sheep, cows, pigs, chickens ect what is the problem with mink?

There are only 5 licenced Fur Farms in Ireland. These will be gone in 2 years time. Let's not get heated over something that's already settled and legislated for. Please don't get into the cruelty of Fur Farming, or otherwise, as it's not a Nature issue until some escape. The farming in itself is a different subject.

As for these "released". It is quite often nothing to do with Eco-terrorists (I find that term so amusing. Ireland awash with eco activists :D) Any informed activist (if such a creature exists) knows the ban is coming into operation soon and so would let it now run its course. More often than not these animals "escape" from farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

Explain how it unfair to put the blame on them for something they did???

In much the same way as I think an oil drilling company should be held responsible for the clean-up if oil escapes into the sea through their pipes for whatever reason, be it an accident, or lack of security, or any other farmer should be held responsible if his animal eats through a crop in another field... I believe they have an obligation to ensure (maybe through security measures) animals aren't released into the wild.
    We farm sheep, cows, pigs, chickens ect what is the problem with mink?

I, like many others, see a huge difference in farming for survival and food and farming solely for fashion. I see the latter as immoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

In much the same way as I think an oil drilling company should be held responsible for the clean-up if oil escapes into the sea through their pipes for whatever reason, be it an accident, or lack of security, or any other farmer should be held responsible if his animal eats through a crop in another field... I believe they have an obligation to ensure (maybe through security measures) animals aren't released into the wild.

I, like many others, see a huge difference in farming for survival and food and farming solely for fashion. I see the latter as immoral.

would you hold the oil company responsible if someone damaged the oil pipe, what a stupid arguement, the mink farmer was broken into, the people that did it should be jailed simple as.. if you had a shop and i robbed it, are you to blame??

if your negligent you should be held accoutable, if someone breaks in and causes damage and releases stock be it cows, sheep, mink or whatever its their fault, they delibratly did it and it is out of the owners control. they broke the law not the farm owners

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

whatever the ethics of mink farming (and i am glad to hear it's being phased out), letting invasive animals out into a countryside where they will either play havoc with the local wildlife or meet an early death themselves is not an intelligent act.

whatever the ethics of mink farming (and i am glad to hear it's being phased out), letting invasive animals out into a countryside where they will either play havoc with the local wildlife or meet an early death themselves is not an intelligent act.
    I agree not one bit intelligent, but in this case an early death or recapture is the best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

It's unfair to put the blame of the ecological impact at the feet of the activists who released them

It's not unfair, they released them. Before the release there was no adverse ecological impact.

That's like blaming the builders of a sound dam, for the the flooding after terrorists blow it up. Nonsense.

• Advertisement

The only saving grace here is that its not the nesting season - lets hope for a cold winter that will deal with these escaped mink:)

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The only saving grace here is that its not the nesting season - lets hope for a cold winter that will deal with these escaped mink:)

A cold Winter does nothing to reduce Mink numbers. Mink are very hardy and live in anywhere in Canada below the tree line. A lot colder than we ever have it! And, they will take adult birds right through the Winter thus affecting the numbers of breeding pairs next year.
    phonypony wrote:
    It's unfair to put the blame of the ecological impact at the feet of the activists who released them
    I think you need to think about that statement and get some perspective. Blame where blame is due. What way can you possibly not lay blame on those who set the Mink free? I'm almost speechless from reading your slant on this issue.

A cold Winter does nothing to reduce Mink numbers. Mink are very hardy and live in anywhere in Canada below the tree line. A lot colder than we ever have it! And, they will take adult birds right through the Winter thus affecting the numbers of breeding pairs next year.

Yeah, i didn't think that one through - I suppose i was hoping these "domestic" mink might be a little softer. A rather forlorn hope allright:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

A vast majority of the mink that have been released by those STUPID people will survive, where do they think the mink that we already have a problem with came from,moron's is what I call those brainless dopes, they really haven't a clue what they have done.

marlin vs wrote: »
    A vast majority of the mink that have been released by those STUPID people will survive, where do they think the mink that we already have a problem with came from,moron's is what I call those brainless dopes, they really haven't a clue what they have done.
    oh id say they know exactly what they have done, i think they take the meens justifies the end approach(hope i got that right:D) if you look at a certain website they have some really mad ideas about things, its good for a laugh sometimes too! Not gonna mention the website because dont wanna advertise for them but we all know the 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Was it not the A.L.F. that did this? I hate Fur Farming personally but this act screams of complete hypocrisy...spell check???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

has anyone actually taken responsibility for it?

has anyone actually taken responsibility for it?
    Checked out a few of their websites earlier to see if it got a mention but nothing yet as far as i could see

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

These so called activists are trying to save mink and killing both mink and wildlife in the process.

Just wondering are there any rough figures for the numbers of mink currently in the wild.

I see mink here occasionally, so unfortunatly I assume they are surviving and breeding...

• Advertisement
Advertisement