Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Greystones have so few pubs?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Pick any comparable town in the country to Greystones and you would notice a distinct lack of pubs. Why is this the case? I heard a theory or two over the years, such as: Greystones falls under the same licensing scheme as the city hence the licences are two expensive, some gibberish to do with the Anglican church and the ever reliable: The Byrnes are more powerful than you could ever imagine. Does anyone know the real reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the bulk of pub licenses were handed out in the late 19th century - at the time Greystones was a small village mostly populated by wealthy protestant types who probably didn't spend a lot of time down the pub. There were quite a few hotels in the town back in the day though, but they probably specialized in the cream tea type of refreshment rather than serving up pints of plain.

By the time the population started to grow significantly in the late-70s and 80s the cost of a pub license had increased dramatically. I have heard stories of the Byrne group buying up some of the defunct hotel licenses (the Woodlands Hotel is one that is usually mentioned) - its probably just hearsay though.

As of this week there are 3 vacant pub premises in the town (the Greystones Inn, the Charlesland pub and the recently approved premises opposite Bels) along with the Delgany Inn (available for around €1m if anyone is interested) and the not-yet-burned-down La Touche Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Why do you need more than one pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

The Pioneer and Total Abstinence Association of the Sacred Heart (or PTAA) was traditionally very strong in the greater Greystones area arising from a visit one Sunday by Father Theobald Mathew who preached against the horrors of the demon drink. Giving the neighbouring village of Kilcoole as a warning to the people of Greystones against the curse of the drink Father Mathew convinced the local powers that be that drinking was very bad for the soul. As a result eminent local Councilllor Hugh Jarse in the local area plan for Greystones of 1900 designated that public houses were to be prohibited within the greater Greystones connurbation. This prohibition was relaxed during the Great Depression of 1929 following the tidal wave on the Greystones north beach which washed away a number of cottages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

http://www.fathermathew.ie/

This website commemerates the life and death of Father Theobald Mathew
    (1790-1856).

44years after he died pubs were banned in Greystones, really!!!!

I think the mention of Hugh Jarse should have given it away as a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

There was a rumour for years that the burned out house at the top of Redford had a licence attached to the premises and the licence of course was owned by........

Wait for it.....

The Byrne's.

Again this is probably pure hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Choice and competition reduces prices, why do we need more than one supermarket? Same thing!
    Also we are hoping that a new one would be better than what we have. We dont bother going to the pub in greystones because we feel unwelcome and the atmosphere to be honest is terrable. Dans is good but very small and the beach house is ok.
    A pub in charlesland would be great for a quick pint the odd evening and for food when you cant be bothered to cook after a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There's supposed to be a new pub opening beside the barbers just up from supervalu

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

When did the Greystones Inn close? Was in there about a month ago, a work thing on a Saturday night about 20+ of us and about 4 locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

The Pioneer and Total Abstinence Association of the Sacred Heart (or PTAA) was traditionally very strong in the greater Greystones area arising from a visit one Sunday by Father Theobald Mathew who preached against the horrors of the demon drink. Giving the neighbouring village of Kilcoole as a warning to the people of Greystones against the curse of the drink Father Mathew convinced the local powers that be that drinking was very bad for the soul. As a result eminent local Councilllor Hugh Jarse in the local area plan for Greystones of 1900 designated that public houses were to be prohibited within the greater Greystones connurbation. This prohibition was relaxed during the Great Depression of 1929 following the tidal wave on the Greystones north beach which washed away a number of cottages.

lol.. that gave me a chuckle...
    the offerings in greystones pubwise is depressing.... dans is ok for a quiet pint... the beach house is the only place for a semi decent night out purely because they have music on a saturday night.. otherwise i dont bother...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

There was a story about a plan to open a pub in the Tesco complex some years ago. The license was opposed by Guess Who.
    Also heard that a premises (house) on Church Road oppsite the old Shell garage which opens one day a year to maintain it's license. This is reputedly owned by Guess Who.
    Maybe this is all pub talk.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Somewhere else in the village would be nice, for those who like choice of course :rolleyes:

I do like The Willow or The Grove not sure the name, in Kilpedder and The Wicklow Arms is lovely with great grub, however the atmosphere/crowd can be hit n miss ( very fussy I am :p )
    All of which is good, but if I get off the bus after work for a drink / bite to eat OR decide to head out with the Hubby at the weekend for a bite we both like to start and end the night with a few drinks, the choice is very limited in the village

Gone off topic again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Swanner wrote: »
    There was a rumour for years that the burned out house at the top of Redford had a licence attached to the premises and the licence of course was owned by........

Wait for it.....

The Byrne's.

Again this is probably pure hearsay.

Guuuuuyerrrrr. Those Pesky Byrnes.....

danjo wrote: »
    There was a story about a plan to open a pub in the Tesco complex some years ago. The license was opposed by Guess Who.
    Also heard that a premises (house) on Church Road oppsite the old Shell garage which opens one day a year to maintain it's license. This is reputedly owned by Guess Who.
    Maybe this is all pub talk.:)

Probably is, being that the old hotel that is there is actually apartments.
    If'n we are talking about the same place.

Although I did hear rumours that their Evil Empire did contain a certain house in the Burnaby which was occupied by a family member and had a bar open once a year to maintain the licence.

I don't believe a word of it.
    Frankly, I think its just the licencing laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Whatgoinon

Nothing to do with licensing laws. Nothing to do with those "Pesky Byrnes"! All to do with a complete social change, below cost selling of booze by supermarkets, drink driving laws(not a bad thing mind you) and massive overheads associated with having the pleasure of doing business in Wicklow. And the location of Greystones in relation to other places to go out ie bray and Dublin

And a good proportion of the people of Greystones no longer being booze hounds like days gone by.

Whatgoinon wrote: »
    Nothing to do with licensing laws. Nothing to do with those "Pesky Byrnes"! All to do with a complete social change, below cost selling of booze by supermarkets, drink driving laws(not a bad thing mind you) and massive overheads associated with having the pleasure of doing business in Wicklow. And the location of Greystones in relation to other places to go out ie bray and Dublin

There were never that many pubs in Greystones.
    It has absolutely nothing to do with any of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

What is the story with the Byrnes? Is this the same Byrne family that own Bradys/Byrne's in Shankill? Do they own most of greystones? Can we talk about it on the forum?

Answers on a postcard...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

What is the story with the Byrnes? Is this the same Byrne family that own Bradys/Byrne's in Shankill? Do they own most of greystones? Can we talk about it on the forum?

Answers on a postcard...

Brady's in Shankill was called Micky Byrne's but not the same Byrne as those who owned/own The Beach House, The Burnaby and some pubs in Dublin. There used to be 2 Byrne brothers who ran these premises. Liam lived on the Burnaby and it is his sons that run the 2 premises in Greystones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

And a good proportion of the people of Greystones no longer being booze hounds like days gone by.

You're have a laugh mate. Booze and being drunk is still very much all the rage in Gstones!
    :D

• Advertisement

By booze hounds I meant slouched over the bar covered in cobwebs, with the wife and nippers at home crying for some scran.

Nowadays, its O'Briens for a bottle and off down the south beach..

Burnaby, Beach House, pretty empty most nights. The Carraig seems to be the only booze hound location still on the go, loads of cars outside there day or night, and of course (ahem) they all walk home after a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

Having worked in the beachouse for 8 years I can assure you that the Byrne’s have a lock down on the 18 licenses in the town! There are a number of houses in the Burnaby area that have license’s attached to them, as I was in 3 of them over the years on the days that they were open for custom! Ie the staff come on down for a piss up and pay a euro a pint in accordance with licensing laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

cooper90 wrote: »
    Having worked in the beachouse for 8 years I can assure you that the Byrne’s have a lock down on the 18 licenses in the town! There are a number of houses in the Burnaby area that have license’s attached to them, as I was in 3 of them over the years on the days that they were open for custom! Ie the staff come on down for a piss up and pay a euro a pint in accordance with licensing laws.

18 licenses? Seriously?

Never happened when I was around.
    Was this over 10 years ago by chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Whatgoinon

Anyone can get a license as long as they comply with any planning permission constraints associated with the application. They then have to fulfil criteria for the licensing application.
    Pub licenses are not something locked away in a dusty safe to be traded. Licenses are applied for and the net cost ends up around 70k. Possibly a reason why they're so scarce

sagat2 wrote: »
    18 licenses? Seriously?
    Nah I think he made it up!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Anyone can get a license as long as they comply with any planning permission constraints associated with the application. They then have to fulfil criteria for the licensing application.
    Pub licenses are not something locked away in a dusty safe to be traded. Licenses are applied for and the net cost ends up around 70k. Possibly a reason why they're so scarce
    I didn't actually think that was the case at all, have you got a link to back up your point?

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I didn't actually think that was the case at all, have you got a link to back up your point?

All the licensing laws are available, just like any law, on the statutebook website.

Good luck finding the actual bits you are looking for.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

up until the reform of the licensing laws 10 or so years ago, thats exactly how they worked - you had to extinguish an existing license to get a new one and they changed hands for £100K+ (much like taxi plates at the time). I think you actually had to buy up 2 rural licenses to open an urban pub also.

These days the main barrier to entry is the sheer cost of setting up a new premises - the days of the small country pub are over, which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Competition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement