Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does Greystones have so few pubs?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Wilmil

Sorry to be a bore on the subject, but why do people have such a hang up on The Byrnes? If nothing else, you have to admire the way they have cornered the market in the Pub trade around the area. Like it or not, somebody within the family (the late Liam I suspect), had a good nose for business and carved out a rather good little empire for the family. I envy the acumen shown. I also like the pubs in question. I don't require noisy bands to enjoy a fine pint with some entertaining company and maybe even a bite to eat.

Ah, its great to see that the art of subtle debate is still alive and kicking within the population of good old Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

I like the Burnaby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Wilmil wrote: »
    Sorry to be a bore on the subject, but why do people have such a hang up on The Byrnes? If nothing else, you have to admire the way they have cornered the market in the Pub trade around the area. Like it or not, somebody within the family (the late Liam I suspect), had a good nose for business and carved out a rather good little empire for the family. I envy the acumen shown. I also like the pubs in question. I don't require noisy bands to enjoy a fine pint with some entertaining company and maybe even a bite to eat.

A third of your posts seem to be on this subject....Is that you Billy?

No, but you may be drifting into the correct ball-park!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Apology accepted.

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Apology accepted.

My dubsgirl, you are a tad quick and no mistake. If an apology was required, who am I to refuse one. I never even realised that I had in fact included an iota of remorse in my short missive. Nevermind though, I am new to this computer controlled chit chat and will get the hang of it soon. Am I really that boring? Crickey, getting old is a bit of a bitch.......

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No, but you may be drifting into the correct ball-park!
    do you work for the Byrnes?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Work.......work........I think you misunderstand! A person of my stature does not work for other people. I see myself more as a sort of spiritual advisor. I supply a "hail fellow, well met" sort of attitude, combined with a steely resolve which, if allowed a free rein, guarantees that problems are solved and conflicts sorted with the minimum of fuss and bother. In other words, "no", I don't work for the Byrnes. But, be careful, you never know the day nor the hour when you may be supping at a table and lo, I could be seated right beside you.......scary isn't it! Wait a minute....dang, I don't know who the hell you are either....blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Work.......work........I think you misunderstand! A person of my stature does not work for other people. I see myself more as a sort of spiritual advisor. I supply a "hail fellow, well met" sort of attitude, combined with a steely resolve which, if allowed a free rein, guarantees that problems are solved and conflicts sorted with the minimum of fuss and bother. In other words, "no", I don't work for the Byrnes. But, be careful, you never know the day nor the hour when you may be supping at a table and lo, I could be seated right beside you.......scary isn't it! Wait a minute....dang, I don't know who the hell you are either....blast.

Right - yeah - whatever - so anyway "why does Greystones have so few pubs?"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement