Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house costs-help?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

My partner and I are trying to buy our first house. Its a 4-bed detached in Meath. Has anyone any idea of the average bills per month on a house like this
    ESB, Gas, bin, life insurance etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

As your previous post was about getting Job seekers allowance - not very much I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Gas €80 a month (average for the year) total €1k
    Elec €50
    Bin 240litre €19
    Life insurance anything between €80-150, depends on what level you pick

I've have topped up my insulation and have a 92% efficient boiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Marywonders

Thanks Scottie. Similiar to what we thought. As for the other reply-its amazing what comes to those who study hard for 6 years and have to avial of social welfare for a couple of weeks, when finishing up study and waiting to start thier first job? - a permanent full-time contract starting at €36K p.a. Maybe you shouldnt be so smart in future. We have just been approved for a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

Good stuff Mary, hope it goes well for yis, If possible I'd steer clear of natural gas, it's over prices, Kerosene/oil heating you can control and budget for, spend a bit of your hard earned cash on insulation, pump the walls and pack the attic.

Our house insurance is €126 for the year with Aviva (incl contents) just shop around is all I can add really.

Good luck with the new gaf !!

Thanks Scottie. Similiar to what we thought. As for the other reply-its amazing what comes to those who study hard for 6 years and have to avial of social welfare for a couple of weeks, when finishing up study and waiting to start thier first job? - a permanent full-time contract starting at €36K p.a. Maybe you shouldnt be so smart in future. We have just been approved for a mortgage.

Another thing is that they are on about getting rid of the bin tax reclaimation option so if you have good neighbours as we do share a black bin and you'll get ablue recycling bin for 12 a month and that takes most of your waste.

Navan, Trim and Kells recycling centres sell composters for about €25 I think and all your organic waste, food peelings, tea bags and all that can go in there, essentially reducing your waste bills completely and come summer you'll have lovely compost for your flowers and garden (FREE)

Hope this helps, time to get wiley and not look to emmigration like half the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Wiley1 wrote: »
    Good stuff Mary, hope it goes well for yis, If possible I'd steer clear of natural gas, it's over prices, Kerosene/oil heating you can control and budget for, spend a bit of your hard earned cash on insulation, pump the walls and pack the attic.

Our house insurance is €126 for the year with Aviva (incl contents) just shop around is all I can add really.

Good luck with the new gaf !!

€126 for home insurance???????????? Cheapest i could get was €800 :eek:

Haha, Sorry, another thing, switch your ESB to Airtricity, you can send in exact meter readings so that you are literally charged for your usage, you can check your account online and its renewable energy and cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Geezer1000 wrote: »

That IS cheap ... what have you valued the house and contents at, 50 cent ?

Where are you living? I might be a bit out, it was €126 and the fiancee and informed me that it's actually €260...oops sorry

Haha, it's all worth about 50 cent if it all goes up in smoke....From experience, if you walk away from it that's worth everything !!

professore wrote: »
    That IS cheap ... what have you valued the house and contents at, 50 cent ?

• Advertisement

Where are you living? I might be a bit out, it was €126 and the fiancee and informed me that it's actually €260...oops sorry

Slane (country), rebuild value 400k and contents 100k

I've got €200k rebuild and €60k contents, that's probably why.

That's in Navan btw

That's in Navan btw

Sorry to hear that :p:D

Me roots are in Slane, careful, we could be neighbours yet !! ha

Sorry to hear that :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Fair play to ya, just seemed an odd post to make after your original one

Oh and Life insurance should be a lot cheaper than €80.
    Should be around the €30 euro mark unless you or your partner have a history of health problems, cancer in the family etc. or one of you is a smoker

See also http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/surviving-the-recession/consumers-will-save-thousands-in-insurers-price-war-2366441.html

Theres also a good budget spreadsheet here
    http://www.navancu.ie/

Household budget plan

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Best of luck with the 4 bed detached, you won't look back, we're still in ours after 20 years. Don't want to rain on your show but you should factor in €500 for property tax and water rates of 100€ per year for each item.

Advertisement