Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isnt David Norris electable or popular for Taoiseach?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

I'd vote for him he'd be a great President.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Because he wants to be president I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

He's far too intelligent to be Taoiseach, he'd be seen as an intelectual by Irish voters and Irish voters by and large don't value people with intelligence.

Although I strongly admire his sucessful campaign to legalise homosexuality he's a bit too left wing for my liking. Saying that I drepect him as he speaks his mind something most politicians refuse to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

OisinT wrote: »
    Because he wants to be president I guess.

Unfortunately he cant really do anything to shape the country in presidents office.I know he could on international level but i think his talents would be best suited in Dáil with the big decisions of the country,

He's far too intelligent to be Taoiseach, he'd be seen as an intelectual by Irish voters and Irish voters by and large don't value people with intelligence.

Although I strongly admire his sucessful campaign to legalise homosexuality he's a bit too left wing for my liking. Saying that I drepect him as he speaks his mind something most politicians refuse to do.

Funny you would say that,i am far intelligent in politics.:o:p
    He is one of the only ones i can listen to and totally understand and makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

http://sites.google.com/site/norrisarticle/
    David Norris, Magill Article 2002
    Magill Magazine, January 2002, pp34-36

David Norris: The Free Radical.
    Interview by Helen Lucy Burke.

...I found some of his views on sexual matters deeply disturbing - notably on sex with minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Norris was miles out in front in the most recent poll taken on the subject of the next president, OP.
    He polled 20% compared to around 4% for that crook Ahern. Fungus Finlay and Michael Twee were also on the podium, so to speak. Thankfully, no one polled fancied John Brutal too much either.

Norris was miles out in front in the most recent poll taken on the subject of the next president, OP.
    He polled 20% compared to around 4% for that crook Ahern. Fungus Finlay and Michael Twee were also on the podium, so to speak. Thankfully, no one polled fancied John Brutal too much either.

Whats so bad about John?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Johnny Murphy FF

Isnt that fella a little, you know....

caseyann wrote: »
    Whats so bad about John?

Personally I wouldn't want someone as President who has such little respect for our democracy as to vote claiming residence in Meath having lived for years in the US as the EU ambassador.
    In any other country, they'd have been prosecuted for electoral fraud.

• Advertisement

I don't know. Perhaps you could tell us?

nope. what?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

Ireland and rural ireland in particular are not ready for a gay taoiseach never mind one who is as camp as david norris!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

He's flamboyantly gay, so average joe won't vote for him. You think Ireland is really that progressive?

And to be honest, David Norris is more of a performer than a a politician, I feel he says the most left things he can to be funny and get attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

Elequent and cultured ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

if gay people are bangin on about equality why dont thay vote for the person best for the job rather then one of their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

I suspect Ghengas Khan may have been a little to left wing for your liking :D

btard wrote: »
    Elequent and cultured ?
    Ill take a practical, pragmatic politician like Bertie or Cowen over that sort of fella anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

here dont play that crap i have notin against gays my cousin is i couldnt care less
    my point still stands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Hes a decent fellow. Have met him and is very likeable and funny. But for a president he has to represent the people. I don't think the people of Ireland want the same things as he represent and fights for in his public life.
    For instance i am a very liberal person, Mr Norris is liberal to the point of being careless in the pursuit of his own personal interests and ideas.
    Someone more representative of the common person would be better suited for the role of PRESIDENT which is the role we are talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

btard wrote: »
    I suspect Ghengas Khan may have been a little to left wing for your liking :D

I couldn't care less that he's gay, I've previously said that I admired his courage in getting homosexuality decriminalised in Ireland.

I think Margaret Thatcher would be a little bit too left wing for my liking ditto Ronald Reagan:D:rolleyes:

cursai wrote: »
    Hes a decent fellow. Have met him and is very likeable and funny. But for a president he has to represent the people. I don't think the people of Ireland want the same things as he represent and fights for in his public life.
    For instance i am a very liberal person, Mr Norris is liberal to the point of being careless in the pursuit of his own personal interests and ideas.
    Someone more representative of the common person would be better suited for the role of PRESIDENT which is the role we are talking about!

While i appreciate your view point,it is about him becoming Taoiseach and why not?
    We can have the presidency debate meshed in but what you think about him as Taoiseach?
    I think he although would be working for his own issues,i do believe he would for all people.

Personally I wouldn't want someone as President who has such little respect for our democracy as to vote claiming residence in Meath having lived for years in the US as the EU ambassador.
    In any other country, they'd have been prosecuted for electoral fraud.

But how did he do that? :confused:

Wouldnt the catholic church be against this?

He's flamboyantly gay, so average joe won't vote for him. You think Ireland is really that progressive?

And to be honest, David Norris is more of a performer than a a politician, I feel he says the most left things he can to be funny and get attention.

I disagree,i think he is exactly what the average joe will respect and understand.He is intellectual far beyond his counterparts and he speaks in a manner everyone understands which is also enlightening.He brings an element of fun real and smart and strong all into one.

Are they against him for president?
    It is nothing to do with catholic church who is voted where.

Who cares about the Catholic church?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

caseyann wrote: »
    While i appreciate your view point,it is about him becoming Taoiseach and why not?
    We can have the presidency debate meshed in but what you think about him as Taoiseach?
    I think he although would be working for his own issues,i do believe he would for all people.

Sorry i got so mixed up with the two parallel Issues. For Taoiseach? I think hed be another Brian Cowen. A parody of himself. Probably very sincere in his ideas in private life but a puppet for stronger and more intelligent(less sincere) characters in public life!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

I think he isn't suitable for one very obvious reason, and that he has no outstanding experience in economic/financial situations. I know you can argue that neither had FF in the past 20 years, but at least the previous Taoiseachs held the Minister for Finance role before assuming premiership.

I think Norris would make a wonderful leading politician. But unfortunately the Irish political system doesn't cater for idealistic non-partisan runners. He is best suited to the presidency.

And for someone to say he doesn't represent the Irish people I think is shockingly inaccurate. We are one of the most tolerant nations on Earth, and having an openly homosexual president would keep up this tradition. That being said, I don't like focusing on his sexuality too much as I don't see it as all that important. We need someone who gives foreign countries confidence in Ireland, and as already mentioned who better than someone as eloquent as Norris? He is tremendously likable and has achieved a lot in his position as senator, which in itself is not a position to make drastic changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why isnt David Norris electable or popular for Taoiseach?

Probably something to do with him not being a TD and being an independent Senator, he ain't got no party to lead into power.

Advertisement