Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isnt David Norris electable or popular for Taoiseach?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

He is not a member of a political party. He would have to join one, become leader and then lead them to victory in a general election. While technically is it not necessary to be taoiseach without being in a party it is pretty unlikely.

Also he would have to get elected to that Dail. He is currently just a Seanad member.

Sorry for being all practical about this :D

To be honest I think he is more presidential material than prime minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

OisinT wrote: »
    Who cares about the Catholic church?

The Jews? I dunno, most "Catholics" don't seem to anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

if gay people are bangin on about equality why dont thay vote for the person best for the job rather then one of their own?

Maybe he is the best person and just happens to be gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Who_owns_this?

Although I enjoy listening to David Norris, he leaves me a bit cold when it comes to selecting a leader. He's very charismatic and pragmatic, but he has that bit of eccentricity that is very valuable in a dinner party guest, but a little less desirable in a leader. Enjoyable as David is, I could see him letting his personality / eccentricity (real or exaggerated at the time) make a decision for him over the good of the country. And, although I generally think that we should govern ourselves and not worry about others' opinions, imagine the fodder we're giving satirists by electing such a controversial leader. I just don't think that now is the time to resurrect our fancy-free, lyrical style completely as we need to maintain as much reputation as possible - IMHO.

I think that a time when our tiger is a bit more healthy would be a great time for the innovative David Norris and he would be wasted in these times of frugality!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Although I enjoy listening to David Norris, he leaves me a bit cold when it comes to selecting a leader. He's very charismatic and pragmatic, but he has that bit of eccentricity that is very valuable in a dinner party guest, but a little less desirable in a leader. Enjoyable as David is, I could see him letting his personality / eccentricity (real or exaggerated at the time) make a decision for him over the good of the country. And, although I generally think that we should govern ourselves and not worry about others' opinions, imagine the fodder we're giving satirists by electing such a controversial leader. I just don't think that now is the time to resurrect our fancy-free, lyrical style completely as we need to maintain as much reputation as possible - IMHO.

I think that a time when our tiger is a bit more healthy would be a great time for the innovative David Norris and he would be wasted in these times of frugality!

I think you're judging his public profile over his ability to do a great job as a leader. I personally think that while his personality is sometimes overpowering he would know when to curtail his flamboyant mannerisms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    He is not a member of a political party. He would have to join one, become leader and then lead them to victory in a general election. While technically is it not necessary to be taoiseach without being in a party it is pretty unlikely.

Also he would have to get elected to that Dail. He is currently just a Seanad member.

Sorry for being all practical about this :D

To be honest I think he is more presidential material than prime minister.
    So it is possible without been a TD?
    Why you think not right for the job.
    Someone said at least Cowen was minister for finance previously em not a fat lot of good that was lol

DHYNZY wrote: »
    I think you're judging his public profile over his ability to do a great job as a leader. I personally think that while his personality is sometimes overpowering he would know when to curtail his flamboyant mannerisms.

I completly agree with you.He has all the right assets for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

caseyann wrote: »
    But how did he do that? :confused:

Very good question indeed. He tripped himself up by admitting he was voting during the Lisbon 1 campaign and someone reported him for it.
    However, the Garda investigation never really got off the ground, for some strange reason.
    One of the tabloids covered it when he was investigated, but afaik there was never a prosecution, even though on the surface of things it is demonstrable that he was living in America as EU Ambassador and wasn't entitled to be on the electoral roll, never mind vote.

Ill take a practical, pragmatic politician like Bertie or Cowen over that sort of fella anyday.

You should have your own comedy show.
    Maybe on Bigot TV.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe on Bigot TV.
    ... or "I'm a FF troll, get me outta here" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

id never vote for that pompous twat to be our president.. i dont know much about him, iv nothing against him but F.F.S. like !! president !!

anyhow the role of president here is a joke.. just like rest of our political system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

charlemont wrote: »
    id never vote for that pompous twat to be our president.. i dont know much about him, iv nothing against him but F.F.S. like !! president !!

anyhow the role of president here is a joke.. just like rest of our political system
    I am almost positive I've posted this in response to you a few times, but:

In Re Article 26 is a very important procedure and is initiated by the President.

It is possibly one of the most important jobs in our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Provisionally

I'd vote for him.

He's a very good speaker, intelligent and likeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Outside of the white, middle-class, metropolitan (probably iPhone-owning) demographic sliver, Norris will find it very hard to get votes.

I fail to see how a Protestant, homosexual, Trinity Senator can have any appeal "down the country".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Outside of the white, middle-class, metropolitan (probably iPhone-owning) demographic sliver, Norris will find it very hard to get votes.

I fail to see how a Protestant, homosexual, Trinity Senator can have any appeal "down the country".
    I'm not saying this against you, but it is this type of thinking that is what is wrong with this country.

There is so much ignorance in some parts of the country still that it may as well be 1910 rather than 2010.
    Ignorance is really holding our country back in a serious way, even in terms of the recession. We need forward thinking, bright individuals - not people stuck in the past who value tradition and ignorance over open-mindedness and reform.

And yet he topped the most recent national poll. Go figure.
    Perhaps the people of Ireland are less closed-minded than you might think, iPhones or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Maybe on Bigot TV.

You need to be careful crossing bridges. ::)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

Ill take a practical, pragmatic politician like Bertie or Cowen over that sort of fella anyday.

Have you nothing better to do? Creating an obviously spoof username and trolling a thread where people are trying to have an intelligent discussion? Get a life, or a girlfriend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

I like Norris, I think as a President he would do a really good job. As some people have mentioned he is extremely liberal to the point of alienating other liberals.

I have some concerns of some of his views especially around the Leaders of the rising

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article7043719.ece

I cant find much on it, and if anyone else has more knowledge of the comment (where it was said, to who, when etc) I’d be grateful. I think that coupled with his sexuality will make it hard for him to get the rural votes

I find myself leading towards Michael D Higgins the more i read up on Norris

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

David Norris for Taoiseach :cool:

A Senator can't be Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Isnt that fella a little, you know....

What, unethical ?
    Maybe, corrupt ?
    Or perhaps you mean incompetent ?

If you want any of those then stick with your own party, you know the one with bertie and biffo.
    kbannon wrote: »
    ... or "I'm a FF troll, get me outta here" :D

Problem is they don't want outta here.
    They want to stay till the bitter end.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Wouldnt the catholic church be against this?

All the more reason to vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He's an intelligent gay dude.

The ole church loving biddies will be told that be's the son of satan by the church, and, well, if you're dumb enough to believe that, you'll be threatened by the mans intelligence.

I'd actually vote for him to piss of the church. That, and he seems to have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

So it is possible without been a TD?

No.
    Article 28.7 of the Constitution holds that the Taoiseach, Tánaiste and Minister of Finance must be members of the Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Too loud, hyper and left wing for me to vote for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Paddy Power currently have him at 4/1 (joint fav with Fergus Finlay), but Michael D and Brian Crowley aren't far behind (9/2).

Excellent quote from an article linked above
    The remark of which he seems most proud was in response to then Archbishop Desmond Connell’s comments about the evils of homosexuality. Connell had written a thesis on how God communicates through angels. Asked for a response, Norris quipped: “Dr Connell may know everything there is to know about angels, but you can take it from me that he knows sweet f*** all about fairies.” He is still insistent that the quote include the four-letter profanity for its alliterative impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

but you can take it from me that he knows sweet f*** all about fairies.

Because thats really the kind of language you want the head of your country using.

He's a great radio presenter, but he's no president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

You'd be surprised. I'd say there'll be conversations in rural Ireland going on about him if he gets the nomination. The husband will be saying there's no way I'm voting for that homo and the wife will openly agree with him in order to keep the peace. Then she'll go and vote for him secretly- women absolutely adore Norris, I've seen him operate first hand in Trinity and some of the go weak at the knees for him, Im not joking!

If its a 5 way race then all Norris needs is 20%+ of the national vote. Between Dublin, Kildare, etc and middle class urban areas like Galway and Cork he could get that 20%. After that all the rest is academic. His biggest challenge is getting the nomination- thats the hardest part as many parties will be out to block him.

What Norris really needs now is 4 imaginative county councils who have the foresight to see that if they nominate him they'll go down in history as playing a pivotal role in getting the world's first openly gay president into power. The councilors will get to bask in the glory and one of Ireland's leaders will make international headlines for the right reasons this time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Shelga

RATM wrote: »
    world's first openly gay president into power.

Not quite... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3hanna_Sigur%C3%B0ard%C3%B3ttir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Campaigned to have a gate for the south end of North Great Georges St in Dublin
    Sure wouldn't we all like our street closed off?
    But this isn't a rat run in a residential estate, it's a street in a city centre.

Sure it has the center for James Joyce and historic housing on it but it's not a unique street.
    David Norris campaigns to close access for a street he lives on. I can't say NIMBY as it wasn't opposing any new proposal.

Very charismatic man. I'm not sure does he still do a show for Newstalk, it was enjoyable.

But for every thread I've read about TD's being consumed by local issues, I see no difference here.

The OP wonders can he be Taosieach. Probably will be our next President

And going by JonJoeDail, anyone who votes for another candidate must not be urban or middle class, I suppose we are backward and conservative "down the country". Hate that phrase, it's all one country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

How do i say this correctly.,....

We have a dozy Taoiseach and now you want a dozy Predident....

Jesus no wonder Jay leno thinks we are daft.

Advertisement