Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isnt David Norris electable or popular for Taoiseach?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Apparently he now "has a girlfriend"? Trying to iron over a few creases perhaps?

Wait, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Links234 wrote: »
    LGBT people in this country are effected by a lot of social and legal issues that many outside of the community are oblivious to or ignorant about, and it's important to have people the government who can relate to people on these issues and represent them. and these issues may seem trivial to you, but for others they aren't. I'd like to see a transgender TD or senator

You already have representation. It doesn't matter whether your representative is from your particular lobby group or not, they are still your representative. Raise the issue with them, organise and show that it is important with in your community etc. If they do **** all about it, they now know they will pay for it by losing your voting block at the next election.

If you were to take that stance from the perspective of all lobby groups then the majority of the dail are ignorant/not concerned with any issues not except those affecting 40-70 year old men - which is clearly not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Outside of the white, middle-class, metropolitan (probably iPhone-owning) demographic sliver, Norris will find it very hard to get votes.

I fail to see how a Protestant, homosexual, Trinity Senator can have any appeal "down the country".

That's a pretty obnoxious and prejudicial view, TBH.

I mean, I fail to see how Dublin elected a con-man like Ahern, but I don't assume that everyone in Dublin is thick as a result.......just enough of them to vote for that weasel.

Norris' accent and overly-camp mannerisms annoy me, but if I put that aside I'd have to admit that at least it would mean someone half-decent and ethical might be in power, so I'd be happy enough with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

That's true. An example of this is Martin Mansergh. A highly intelligent man (drafted and negotiated most of the Good Friday agreement) but not a great orator. He failed to be elected first time out in Tipperary and struggled in the second time.

Manseragh ? Are you joking ? :eek:

As soon as he's caught out on FF lies and spin he turns into a blithering idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

That's true. An example of this is Martin Mansergh. A highly intelligent man (drafted and negotiated most of the Good Friday agreement) but not a great orator. He failed to be elected first time out in Tipperary and struggled in the second time.

Let's face it, David Norris has obviously no desire to be Taoiseach because he's never put himself up for election to the Dáil, has he?

martin mansergh is highly ecentric but thats about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Manseragh ? Are you joking ? :eek:

As soon as he's caught out on FF lies and spin he turns into a blithering idiot!
    irishh_bob wrote: »
    martin mansergh is highly ecentric but thats about it
    Whatever about his politics, he is actually a highly intelligent man. As I said he's not a great public speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

misrepresented him?

In other words he regrets thinking out loud.

Most reasonable people accept homosexuality but realise that a [say] 15 year old who decides he's gay should be protected from predatory 30 something [say] gay men, in the same way that I or most hetrosexual men wouldn't take advantage of a 15 year old girl (no matter if she does look like a hot 18 year old).

Norris wasn't condoning forced pedarsty in the article but still made me uncomfortable with his 'boundaries'

In addition, I find him incredibly vain and shrill; his condemnation of Josef Ratzinger [ Pope Benedict] where he claimed that membership of the Nazi Youth wasn't compulsory springs to mind. (JR was 14 years old when he was a member of the NY; his handicapped cousin was murdered by the Nazis for being handicapped) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_of_Pope_Benedict_XVI#Background_and_childhood_.281927.E2.80.931943.29

Norris claimed he telephoned the German Embassy and "confirmed" this even though the historical facts are clear the German Parliament passed a law making membership compulsory (as a quick Wikipedia search would have revealed). It's laughable that this clown is referred to as a "scholar" given his abject contempt for rudimentary scholarship/research

Read this a few days ago and I was pretty taken aback, would not have expected this from him (not that I know much of him, but he seemed like a cool guy).

The rebuttal article does little for me.

wiki
    While relationships in ancient Greece involved boys from 12 to about 17 or 18 (Cantarella, 1992), in Renaissance Italy, the boys were typically between 14 and 19,[7] and in Japan the younger member ranged in age from 11 to about 19 (Saikaku, 1990; Schalow, 1989).[8]

It's obvious he was not talking about a 17 year old with a 24 year old.
    His comments on incest are just bizarre.

I think he should have used his inner voice tbh.

Regarding age of consent:
    The age of consent in Ireland is 17 for carnal contact, with non-carnal contact being allowed at 15I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I, regardless of sexual orientation and/or gender (although this relies on an interpretation of what "carnal contact" and "non-carnal contact" refers to). Sex with a minor over the age of 15 carries a lower sentence than that for when the minor is below 15, although the punishments were raised in the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006.

Does this imply that sexual contact that doesn't involve penetration (carnal contact) is legal between a 15 year old and anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

He's flamboyantly gay, so average joe won't vote for him.

Average Joe has other things on his mind these days.
    Like holding his job, paying his bills and worrying sick about the next tax take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Personally I wouldn't want someone as President who has such little respect for our democracy as to vote claiming residence in Meath having lived for years in the US as the EU ambassador.
    In any other country, they'd have been prosecuted for electoral fraud.

In most other countries he would have voted via the postal register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

Lets be serious about this.. Too many children in this countryhave been damaged by peadophilia. This man wheter you like it or not advocated in an interview sex with minors. Do we want this person representing us as the head of our country ? This person also in an interview called the brave patriots that rebelled in 1916 "terrorists".. We would not have a president only for these people. He calls them "terrorists" yet he is quite prepared if elected to become the president of this country/ He wants the glory and the money and forgets about whatever beliefs he claims to have. This man is damaged goods. We shouldnt even consider talking about this dubious character as a potential president of this republic... The children and the true irish people deserve more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

proon4 wrote: »
    Lets be serious about this.. Too many children in this countryhave been damaged by peadophilia. This man wheter you like it or not advocated in an interview sex with minors. Do we want this person representing us as the head of our country ? This person also in an interview called the brave patriots that rebelled in 1916 "terrorists".. We would not have a president only for these people. He calls them "terrorists" yet he is quite prepared if elected to become the president of this country/ He wants the glory and the money and forgets about whatever beliefs he claims to have. This man is damaged goods. We shouldnt even consider talking about this dubious character as a potential president of this republic... The children and the true irish people deserve more
    The true Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The office of President of this country is a joke - €3m expenditure for an office that is basically an OAP home.

Might as well elect Jedward and have done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

He's flamboyantly gay, so average joe won't vote for him. You think Ireland is really that progressive?

And to be honest, David Norris is more of a performer than a a politician, I feel he says the most left things he can to be funny and get attention.
    Im married with a kid. Average joe as you say.Id vote for him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The office of President of this country is a joke - €3m expenditure for an office that is basically an OAP home.

Might as well elect Jedward and have done with it.
    Search for one of the literally 50 posts I have made in this forum explaining the role of the President in this country.

Either that, or go back to school. :rolleyes:

The idiocy of these comments is astounding to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

OisinT wrote: »
    Search for one of the literally 50 posts I have made in this forum explaining the role of the President in this country.

Either that, or go back to school. :rolleyes:

The idiocy of these comments is astounding to me.

...I will, if you go back and search for one of the many posts I've made in this forum stating the opposite argument.

I normally prefer to make my arguments 'in-line'.

Perhaps you could all relieve us of our 'idiocy' and need to 'go back to school' by stating in a salient and concise way why the current office of President of the Republic of Ireland is actually necessary, or are we all to be banished to the boards search function in order to elicit your wit and wisdom on the subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

You're telling me it's my job to educate you on what the President does and what the function of the Executive is?

Advertisement