Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simon 5 mile Fun Run 9th October

• 28-09-2010 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

I have entered this and just got my race number and chip posted out today. I know a good few Boardsies are running this one but can't see a thread on it.
    Anyway Details here. Who else is up for this?

I hear there may be a pre DCM beer's after this race...anyone know any more about that? :pac:

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 10 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0% 0 votes
    4 Stars (good)
    10% 1 vote
    3 stars (average)
    80% 8 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    10% 1 vote
    1 Star (terrible)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I signed up on Saturday and thought about starting a thread on this while running tonight:eek:

Don't know if i'm going to run it full pelt but one of these days i might do a run just for fun. Have to say tis a worthwhile charity but the start is helter skelter and mental, more so than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

chinguetti wrote: »
    I signed up on Saturday and thought about starting a thread on this while running tonight:eek:

Don't know if i'm going to run it full pelt but one of these days i might do a run just for fun. Have to say tis a worthwhile charity but the start is helter skelter and mental, more so than usual.

Great minds and all. It seems they have scheduled the Junior races for 9:30 and 9:45 and the main race starts at 10:30. I remember you saying all the races started together last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

menoscemo wrote: »
    I hear there may be a pre DCM beer's after this race...anyone know any more about that? :pac:
    This is news to me. :eek::pac:

I think alot of the kids go back to the start for the main race, hence the large number of kids at the start.

Also be prepared for alot of walkers at the top of the start line and it doesn't thin out until you get up to the Avenue.

I'm out for beers as i'm off the drink from Sunday - tis 3 weeks before Dublin so the usual self enforced ban applies.

I think alot of the kids go back to the start for the main race, hence the large number of kids at the start.

Also be prepared for alot of walkers at the top of the start line and it doesn't thin out until you get up to the Avenue.

I'm out for beers as i'm off the drink from Sunday - tis 3 weeks before Dublin so the usual self enforced ban applies.

I'll be starting at the front of this one. I registered as an elite :eek: (well there were only two categories- elite runner and fun jogger)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I mentionned in my log about beers after - brainderunner seemed to agree

il be there - register there on the morning! 5miles and drinks sat and then a kettlebell workshop the next day! fun weekend in dooblin all round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Im also in this one, beers after could be a plan :)

I'll be starting at the front of this one. I registered as an elite :eek: (well there were only two categories- elite runner and fun jogger)

I'm elite too:D Are you going full whack Meno in this?

Might join you at the start as you clear the road for me.

I'm elite too:D Are you going full whack Meno in this?

As always, It's a tough course but my 5 mile PB is a bit soft, so i'll be out to break it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Will miss this one, haven't ran this since I was 16 :eek:

But will be racing just down the road in the XC race :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Plan at this stage is to run this. Sub 33 being the 1st goal and as close to 32 as possible the real goal. Depends on the course as always though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Anyone know is it chip timed and does anyone know if there are previous year's results for it, did it a few years back so worth checking what I did last time!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I'll be doing this as a tempo in 33/34 mins. I see no point in going flat out 2 weeks before the DCM, beers after alright. Nothing like destoying the mitochondria created during the run with 10 pints!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm just coming to watch, so I've an excuse to go for a few drinks.

Anyone know is it chip timed and does anyone know if there are previous year's results for it, did it a few years back so worth checking what I did last time!

Thanks

I have already got my number and chip posted out. There is definately chip timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

does anyone know if there are previous year's results for it, did it a few years back so worth checking what I did last time!
    2009 and 2008 results are online, but they only list race numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Doing this again this year. Did it last year and 3 years ago. Love the race especially if it's a crisp Autumn morning. The course is not flat, there are some testers in there. It is flat for the first 3k or so then it's down hill into the Glen, this means you have to climb to get out of it! Then down hill for a k or so. Up the S bends for just over a k then a sharpish downhill before the Kyber! It's 1k up hill and it's the final k, tough tough going here.

Usually great atmosphere too. There will be plenty of kids, they really promote it in the schools (my school will have 30+ kids there (i'm a teacher by the way)) so get up to the front at the beginning will be important, the kids will burst for the first 500m or so.

I'd be on for a boardies pint straight after the race in 'the hole in the wall' if thats any good!

For what it's worth here is my run last year, hoping to be nearer 32min this time round.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18406274

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

daymobrew wrote: »
    2009 and 2008 results are online, but they only list race numbers.[/QUOTE

Thats pointless so-you'd wonder what idiot put them up:mad:

2009 and 2008 results are online, but they only list race numbers.
    As Dublin Simon is a charity, their focus is probably not on posting full results. I would guess that most of the younger participants are not as interested in finish position as older runners.

This year it has chip timing so I expect the results to be more professional.
    The course is not flat, there are some testers in there. It is flat for the first 3k or so then it's down hill into the Glen, this means you have to climb to get out of it! Then down hill for a k or so. Up the S bends for just over a k then a sharpish downhill before the Kyber! It's 1k up hill and it's the final k, tough tough going here.
    I think that the elevation chart from my Polar HRM).

If Furry Glen is not being used, you certainly should be able to get closer to 32mins. A good starting position is important so that you get running (instead of weaving) quickly.

I wonder if RacePix365 will be out again and get another good shot of me.

Remember it is billed as a 'fun run' if you want a 'race' enter a race but this is a fundraising opportunity for a fantastic charity. They don't cover up that it's a fun run, but, it's a HUGELY successful one. Others don't seem to have had a problem with it over the last 27 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

do you have to collect money for charity or will giving a few extra quid o the day do?

theduke1 wrote: »
    do you have to collect money for charity or will giving a few extra quid o the day do?
    They would like you to raise at least 150 euro, but you can give as much as you want when you sign up online (though that may be closed - best to email them)

Devotional, i think thats a bit harsh. They're totally upfront that its a fun run and not a serious, well professional race so whatever way they put up the results is fine with me.

There's been a good few events happened this year from reading on here that could learn a few things from looking at home Simon do their 'fun run'. Its well run and treat people well in my view. I've done it twice and can't fault it for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Devotional, i think thats a bit harsh. They're totally upfront that its a fun run and not a serious, well professional race so whatever way they put up the results is fine with me.

There's been a good few events happened this year from reading on here that could learn a few things from looking at home Simon do their 'fun run'. Its well run and treat people well in my view. I've done it twice and can't fault it for what it is.

People change their tune when suits here. Yes its a great charity and one I fully support but I don't think it's that hard to put peoples names on the results. Either do the results right or don't. Not long ago people cried like babies because a 5miler was 4.9.! I find if you mention one negative regarding some charity races on this people jump down your neck! I have run it many times actually.:)

Not long ago people cried like babies because a 5miler was 4.9.! I find if you mention one negative regarding some charity races on this people jump down your neck! I have run it many times actually.:)

I cried as much as the next when a 5 mile race was actually 4.8/4.9 mile but it wasn't labelled as a fun run. Thats the difference in my eyes.

I also cried foul when a 10k run was actually less than 9 km but they admitted their error the next working day to all involved on their website which took a fair few guts. And i plan to do that race as well this year.

Funny how the alleged 5 miler never posted a notice/apology on their website. Again thats the difference between a fun run and professional race in my mind, it what you expect from the race.

Anyway, i hope we both enjoy Saturday and the fun run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Just entered this now. For anybody who has ran it previously is number collection at the papal cross? Weather forecast for the weekend (and next week) is really good so hopefully the sun shines and the wind stays away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Just entered this now. For anybody who has ran it previously is number collection at the papal cross? Weather forecast for the weekend (and next week) is really good so hopefully the sun shines and the wind stays away.
    Was a couple of years ago.
    If its the same course as 2 years ago the first half is fast BUT the second half is where you hit the hills on the S bends and the kyper. Would have done it but I doing the BHAA XC.

I emailed the organisers who said that the race is the same route as last year (which, IIRC, is different from the website): See El Director's Garmin map (Garmin site off-line until 6pm tonight)

BTW post race drinks will most likely be in Ryans, will probably be about 12 by the time people finish, wander around the finish area and get down to Ryans...

• Advertisement

Good stuff, I assume we will be all the tired and lost looking people trying to make random eye contact and swapping odd boards names with each other :)

I will not be in running gear and loud. Can't miss me!

Good stuff, I assume we will be all the tired and lost looking people trying to make random eye contact and swapping odd boards names with each other :)

I'll be wearing a Boards AC vest and know most of the others. So Just come over and say hello.
    Someone said we were going to the pub next door to Ryans, just for a change....

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

with all this talk of pints, will there actually be anybody available to run on Sunday morn ????

grimbergen wrote: »
    with all this talk of pints, will there actually be anybody available to run on Sunday morn ????

I'll be doing 13.1 on Sunday, 9am at Knockmaroon gate as i'm not going drinking so how does that suit you Grimbergen? Been away with work during the week and got things to do on Saturday afternoon so can't make it folks but will spot ye all at the finish.

Like Meno, ill be in a Boards vest and will be lobbing along to finish around 35 or so.

I didn't run for 4 days in a row this week which is a first for me for over 3 years (injuries expected)

I'll be doing 13.1 on Sunday, 9am at Knockmaroon gate as i'm not going drinking so how does that suit you Grimbergen? Been away with work during the week and got things to do on Saturday afternoon so can't make it folks but will spot ye all at the finish.

Like Meno, ill be in a Boards vest and will be lobbing along to finish around 35 or so.

I didn't run for 4 days in a row this week which is a first for me for over 3 years (injuries expected)

I'll probably see you on sunday too.

• Advertisement

'll be wearing a Boards AC vest and know most of the others. So Just come over and say hello.
    Perfect! I just joined up this week and was wondering when I would get to meet some real people :)

Won't be able go for pints afterall :(

I'll b n the Liffey valley gear-illuminous yellow top, number 1444....say hello! :)

Wow it was windy.
    I was disappointed with my 31:31 time, 41 sec slower than last year.

I think I went out too fast (5:50 for 1st mile, average was 6:18) and was struggling for the rest of the race. I didn't have enough to catch some people on the final hill or make a sprint finish. Ah well.

Won't be able go for pints afterall :(

I'll b n the Liffey valley gear-illuminous yellow top, number 1444....say hello! :)
    I only seen this now, i was running with you for a bit - was in a green nike T-shirt. I copped who you were though after you got a few shouts. Wanted to say hi after but i missed you as i was lying in a ditch f'ecked

Wow it was windy.
    I was disappointed with my 31:31 time, 41 sec slower than last year.

I think I went out too fast (5:50 for 1st mile, average was 6:18) and was struggling for the rest of the race. I didn't have enough to catch some people on the final hill or make a sprint finish. Ah well.
    Good time, it was quite windy and there were very few people to run with which made it tough. The wind was defo a major factor for me esp fro km 5 to 7. anyway 32.15 for me, a pb by 27 secs so happy enough.

• Advertisement

jesus that was tough. I thought I knew the course well but got an awful kick in the nuts when they directed us down into the glen. Could have managed the hills but the wind wrecked any chance of a good time.

jesus that was tough. I thought I knew the course well but got an awful kick in the nuts when they directed us down into the glen. Could have managed the hills but the wind wrecked any chance of a good time.
    Glad to hear it wasnt just me so, i thought when we went up and down the glen that was it and i thought we passed the kybher but no of course we turned a corner and there it was after battling the wind for last 2km.

Well done to everyone who ran this. It's a tough course on a good day but it was really windy out there today so it really can't have been easy. Winner was coasting though, looked easy for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Not sure what time I did it in, think it was under 34mins(no sign of the results online yet?) but god it was tough! The first 3 miles or so was plain sailing but then the wind and hills really slowed me down. Found the lack of other runners slowed me down too as it was tough to keep motivated to go faster. Happy enough with my time given the conditions but was hoping for 32'30" :(

Really enjoyed the race today, it's a tough little course of that there's no doubt. Kenny if only I'd known that was you I would have stuck with you! Ha, not a chance, it's funny though I kept you in my sights as a pacer and a possible catch for later. It wasn't to be however. A little disappointed not to have taken a few on the Kyber as was my plan and hills usually my strength but I had a really really tough session on Thurs night and was feeling it. Still 1 min faster than last year, 32:56 :)

Read my notes from last year last night and in it I commented that I should be aiming for sub 30 :rolleyes: o well maybe next year :o

Fletch, finished myself in 33.45 or so so if you spotted 2 boards vest duelling at the finish line, you'ld be under 34. I must send my congrats to Meno the victor in the duel. Xebec - those photos should be good.

I knew that the course was going to be hilly but the wind was a pain esp. up the S bends. All the people who flew off from the start were suffering with the wind and the hills for the last mile. Great choice of food at the finish.

Did anyone see the 5 young guys at the front of the race at the start smoking away? The defintition of cool and it was funny.

I thought I knew the course well but got an awful kick in the nuts when they directed us down into the glen.
    The course was not the one on the website. When I emailed them on Thursday I was told the the course was the same as last year (true) and it was as described on the website (not true). The course on the website (from 2008 incidentally was nicer as it bypassed the Frlurry Glen) should have been possible as the main road was closed.

Fletch, finished myself in 33.45 or so so if you spotted 2 boards vest duelling at the finish line, you'ld be under 34. I must send my congrats to Meno the victor in the duel. Xebec - those photos should be good.

Great sprint finish. I didn't exepect you to be passing me at the top of the Khyber, you were supposed to be only out for a jog :rolleyes:
    Still, my junior days in the school 100m relay team helped me out today :D

Overall it was a really tough course with the hills and wind. If I am ultra critical, it is definately a bit of a joke that the first 10 rows at the start line were occupied solely by overweight teenagers and face painted fun runners/walkers. I know it was a 'fun-run' and the signs indicated the joggers and walkers should be at the back but absolutely none of the organisers thought to announce this at the start line much less than ask anyone to move back :rolleyes:
    It took me half a mile to get running and I feel this completely knocked me out of my rythym.......

On a positive not the chip timing was a nice touch and the goodie bags and food were top notch. The general atmosphere and organisation was also really good.

Meno, i thought worse than that was that someone managed to organise the race to run the first 400m against were people were coming down from registration - hence they all walked down the road and the race was delayed meaning your long gone cold since the warm up.

Also the kids were with a school and the teachers didnt even have the good sense to tell them to let the club runners ahead. Anyway rant over. Still really enjoyed it and everything else was well organised.

If I am ultra critical, it is definately a bit of a joke that the first 10 rows at the start line were occupied solely by overweight teenagers and face painted fun runners/walkers. I know it was a 'fun-run' and the signs indicated the joggers and walkers should be at the back but absolutely none of the organisers thought to announce this at the start line much less than ask anyone to move back :rolleyes:
    It took me half a mile to get running and I feel this completely knocked me out of my rythym.......
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Meno, i thought worse than that was that someone managed to organise the race to run the first 400m against were people were coming down from registration - hence they all walked down the road and the race was delayed meaning your long gone cold since the warm up.

Also the kids were with a school and the teachers didnt even have the good sense to tell them to let the club runners ahead. Anyway rant over. Still really enjoyed it and everything else was well organised.

Were you guys lined up behind the barrier? If you were you should have waited until just before the starting gun and came to the front. That's what I do for all races where I know I'll be close enough to the top 1-2% of finishers. Races with better fields I'll gladly take my place back behind the elites behind the barrier. A couple of kids tried to push past me but stopped when I questioned what time they planned on finishing the run in. A raheny lady who finished more than 3 minutes behind me pushed in front of me and gave me some serious attitude when I posed the same question to her!

• Advertisement
Advertisement