Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simon 5 mile Fun Run 9th October

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Were you guys lined up behind the barrier? If you were you should have waited until just before the starting gun and came to the front. That's what I do for all races where I know I'll be close enough to the top 1-2% of finishers. Races with better fields I'll gladly take my place back behind the elites behind the barrier. A couple of kids tried to push past me but stopped when I questioned what time they planned on finishing the run in. A raheny lady who finished more than 3 minutes behind me pushed in front of me and gave me some serious attitude when I posed the same question to her!

Cheers for the tip. I was wondering how the likes of yourself got away as I looked in front of myself before the race and thought "where are the 'elites'? " :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Few photos up now on RacePix.com
    Also on Flickr here

5064936207_0600bff584.jpg

Meno coming up the hill with Chinguetti behind him...
    5064978083_e28f64f146_z.jpg

Chinguetti telling us to shut up so that he can surprise Meno...
    5064978333_1600f471bf_z.jpg

Pity the focus is out on that last one, and also wish I had caught the two boys in one together...

And the sprint finish starts:
    5065590336_14ac402686.jpg

I've tagged a lot of them, but not all so worth having a look through if you can't see yourself... Also, have tagged a few of them as Boards so you can search by that (although they don't all seem to be appearing at the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Cheers for the tip. I was wondering how the likes of yourself got away as I looked in front of myself before the race and thought "where are the 'elites'? " :confused:

ha apart from the guy who won today there were no elites :p It's all relative I suppose and we were all elite compared to some of the smoking,overweight, lippy teendickheads who had positioned themselves at the front. The gas thing is they took off screaming and shouting like bats out of hell but after 400 metres not one of them was ahead of me. State of the nation !

One other thing which I found incredibly funny today was the 2 runners who were wearing headphones who ran into one another. People were shouting (not me though I was rubbing my hand together imagining their demise) at them to warn them as they were looking in opposite directions. Very very funny. Had me chuckling for the first 2 miles at least

Results are up on the precision timing webpage http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/view/id/114
    Top 50 Woooooohoooo
    The chip time is 10 seconds faster than I measures :confused: Must be some problem with the chips as chinguetti got the same time as me. I also noticed some people with over 2 minutes difference between actual time and chip time- I doubt anyone took more than a minute to cross the start line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Were you guys lined up behind the barrier? If you were you should have waited until just before the starting gun and came to the front. That's what I do for all races where I know I'll be close enough to the top 1-2% of finishers. Races with better fields I'll gladly take my place back behind the elites behind the barrier. A couple of kids tried to push past me but stopped when I questioned what time they planned on finishing the run in. A raheny lady who finished more than 3 minutes behind me pushed in front of me and gave me some serious attitude when I posed the same question to her!

Yeah i did the same myself when i seen others doing it, as like you say for a fun race i know better, club races are different.

Jaysus they have my chip time as 32.05, so i gained 10 seconds. i thought i might of run 32.10 or so. i happily take that.29th overall too, highest i ll finish for a while anyway

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Jaysus they have my chip time as 32.05, so i gained 10 seconds. i thought i might of run 32.10 or so. i happily take that.29th overall too, highest i ll finish for a while anyway

Even the first few finishers have a chip time/finish time differential of 8-9 seconds. I am down as 9 secons faster than my watch. I have to say it looks like a timing fault..

Even the first few finishers have a chip time/finish time differential of 8-9 seconds. I am down as 9 secons faster than my watch. I have to say it looks like a timing fault..
    Thought as much because i took a whole 2-3 seconds to cross the line. i ll go with my watch anyway. be easier to break it next time anyway:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

33.01...well happy now :) I can see myself in the back of this pic
    5064978083_e28f64f146_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Chip time of 45.59, 11 seconds off the I had for myself :)

But I will take it, since it brings me closer to the time I actually wanted to run in the first place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

ha apart from the guy who won today there were no elites :p It's all relative I suppose and we were all elite compared to some of the smoking,overweight, lippy teendickheads who had positioned themselves at the front. The gas thing is they took off screaming and shouting like bats out of hell but after 400 metres not one of them was ahead of me. State of the nation !

if 2nd wasn't an elite neither was 1st so.

if 2nd wasn't an elite neither was 1st so.

???? I suppose it depends on what your definition of elite is. Brian is a 14 minute 5k runner way way ahead of anybody else in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

just don't think that winning time puts him into an "elite" with the 2nd guy not that far behind a "fun runner"..club standard runners -leave the elite title for a sub 23min guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Xebec - love the photos, great work.

Meno - fair play to you for getting me just before the line. I had you stopped for a long way down the road and you had 20/30 seconds lead on me from about 1 mile on and decided to see at 4 mile mark if i could rope you in.

Passed a good few going up the Kyber (mainly due to them going out too fast) and when you were the last guy in front of me, i said i'ld go for it. If RQ hadn't been shouting at you to sprint, it wouldn't have been half as funny. The best bit was that as we were the only guys finishing for about 10 seconds, everyone was focused on us. One of the photographers behind the line came up to me and said that it was a great finish. Twas when you were about to get sick. He took a few shots of you as well in that position.

Despite your labouring, you still managed to pick it up and pass me so your doing something right on the speed training front. We'll have to go to battle another day.

As for the times, 33.34 for chip timing seems a bit high as we started and finshed together and i have it as 33.45 and the difference between getting over the start line is a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Timing fault? So are the precision-timing boys doing the race - really what they say on the tin? - precision.... timing... :D:D
    Maybe that strong wind this morning blew the giant timing pendulum in their timer a bit too hard :)

just don't think that winning time puts him into an "elite" with the 2nd guy not that far behind a "fun runner"..club standard runners -leave the elite title for a sub 23min guy.

Fair enough. I was initially just trying to makes the point that I a 27 minute runner am definitely not an elite. The first lad has ran 23.30 for 5 miles and would normally be in the top 3 of most road races he would enter. Maybe not elite on a global scale but elite on a national scale???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Agreed - "elite" depends on the race. For this race I would classify the top 20 or so as "elites".
    Overall it was a really tough course with the hills and wind. If I am ultra critical, it is definately a bit of a joke that the first 10 rows at the start line were occupied solely by overweight teenagers and face painted fun runners/walkers. I know it was a 'fun-run' and the signs indicated the joggers and walkers should be at the back but absolutely none of the organisers thought to announce this at the start line much less than ask anyone to move back :rolleyes:
    This happens every year. As it is not going to change you must adapt. I was in 2nd row behind the barrier when I decided to move in front of the barrier with the "elites".

The best of those 400 metre sprinters was the kid in the light blue Dublin jersey:
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/5064936207_0600bff584_z.jpg
    The guy in orange is the fastest person I've seen wear headphones for a race. I was just ahead of that pack (#1018 on the far left) but they'd all caught me before the first mile.

:( I was missed in the finishing photos - I was about 7sec behind these two and 30sec ahead of red shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

daymobrew wrote: »
    I was just ahead of that pack (#1018 on the far left) but they'd all caught me before the first mile.
    Bit of a dodgy race line there Daymobrew!

Bit of a dodgy race line there Daymobrew!
    I started on the right edge of the road and kept right so not to impede anyone. I generally move aside if someone is trying to pass me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mooddog

The best of those 400 metre sprinters was the kid in the light blue Dublin jersey:
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/5064936207_0600bff584_z.jpg
    The guy in orange is the fastest person I've seen wear headphones for a race. I was just ahead of that pack (#1018 on the far left) but they'd all caught me before the first mile.

Cheers to Daymobrew for the compliment - as I am the man in orange .... was using this as a tune up race to NYC marathon - so always tend to listen to music on my training runs ... ;)

Besides Fat boy slim was a very welcome distraction from the din made by the screaming kids who fancied themselves at the start of the race ...

In terms of the kid "sprinters" - I have to take my hat off to kid in the light Dublin jersey - as not only did he lead out the race for a short 300 metres - he actually finished it in some 40 or so mins and was looking chuffed with himself at the end .... quite a different story to the rest of the face painted obstacles at the start of the race ... who gave up after 500 metres...

So fair play to the lad in light Dublin jersey - I hope he continues to keep up the enthusiasm and when he learns about pacing - we all better look out!:)

mooddog wrote: »
    Cheers to Daymobrew for the compliment - as I am the man in orange .... was using this as a tune up race to NYC marathon - so always tend to listen to music on my training runs ... ;)
    You should also thank me for suggesting we move to the other side of the barrier. I was the guy in a cap and shades. :p

Also, I couldn't help wonder if you were too hot in your long sleeve top and tights. I had a singlet and shorts.
    xebec wrote: »
    Few photos up now on RacePix.com
    Also on Flickr here
    Thanks for taking photos though I noticed that a number of the early finishers appear not to have been photographed, including Mr HiViz Mooddog above. And a Boards AC guy with Skins undershorts that passed me on the S bends. I'm curious, any reason for not capturing those runners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mooddog

Ah yup I remember you now ....

Good call on the barrier hopping - would have been carnage otherwise ....

Yup my race wear selection was poor and did not exactly set me up for success (as was melted 2 miles into things) ... but more a product of staying in the girlfriends house the night before and having not packed properly rather by choice - so just had to race in what I had!

Y And a Boards AC guy with Skins undershorts that passed me on the S bends. I'm curious, any reason for not capturing those runners?

I "think" that myself and chiguetti from the pics above were the only Boards AC guys racing on saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The only guys in Boards vests that i saw during the race were Meno and myself and didn't see any one else before or after the race.

chinguetti wrote: »
    The only guys in Boards vests that i saw during the race were Meno and myself and didn't see any one else before or after the race.
    Fair enough, I might be mistaken. IIRC from behind his singlet looked the same colour as a Boards vest.
    If only xebec had taken more photos :D

There was another photographer a tiny bit about further down Kyber Pass. I wonder where his photos will appear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I'm curious, any reason for not capturing those runners?

No reason in particular. Was just out to play with my new camera, took photos when I wanted/when it looked like a half decent pic. Takes quite a bit of time to put them all up on RacePix and tag them so don't tend to get too snap happy at these things.

Next time let a roar at me and I'll be sure to get you...

Edit: oh and I only saw two Boards singlets and caught both guys...

Next time let a roar at me and I'll be sure to get you...
    I didn't see you at all - I was willing the finish line to move closer. I was dead on my feet.
    Edit: oh and I only saw two Boards singlets and caught both guys...
    Three witnesses on the opposition - I must have be mistaken.

Daymo, there is only one solution: Join Boards Ac and you are guaranteed getting your picture taken at all races :D

Daymo, there is only one solution: Join Boards Ac and you are guaranteed getting your picture taken at all races :D
    I was thinking just that. I might join and get the singlet in time for Jingle Bells 5k and Aware 10k races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Daymo, there is only one solution: Join Boards Ac and you are guaranteed getting your picture taken at all races
    I have the singlet ordered, but only on the express condition that no one ever takes my picture :)

But fortunately, most photographers have given up and gone home by the time I get near them, so I think Im ok :)

Advertisement